how to grow copepods

Andrew9307

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can anyone tell me about this i want to grow a lot of them so i can get a mandrin goby. i have heard that there is eggs that i can just drop into my tank is this true? also how to feed copes? Thanks

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy either some established macro algae or a shipment of pods from one of our vendors and set up either a nice Refugium or a breeding bucket. I'd just put in some rock and macro algae for them to live and breed in, a heater and a bubbler. They eat phytoplankton such a phyto feast.

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best bet is to set up a refugium with some macro algae and get a pod pack from one of the r2r venders most pods eat detratis (fish waste) and breed rather quickly

OP
OP
A

Andrew9307

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome thanks guys i also have another post on trying to learn how to put a sump together for a refugium

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with what has been said above, for macro algaes I would look at getting some chaeto. Also you can use rock rubble to set up pod stations to allow the copepods safe places to reproduce in, in which other fish would not be able to get to them. A refugium is definitly the best way to go.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipods are very easy to grow in your tank and multiply like crazy once established. I believe Mandarins will eat them although not sure if they are enough if they are the only food source.

They are much easier to grow than pods, IMO and they like to eat meaty foods/fish foods so no specific feeding necessary. They are much bigger than copepods also (i think mandarins will tend to eat the juveniles rather than adults possibly).

To be sure tho, start a refugium if you want to keep a mandarin as k2parkstar has said.

OP
OP
A

Andrew9307

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im going to set up a refugium tonight to see how it works whats my best bet just make a sand bed in my sump and add live rock and some chaeto? i am worried about filltration tho will i loose it if i take my bio beads out of my sump bed to add sand ??

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think sand in the sump is necessary altho it would be adding more niches for pods to live (if they are benthic or bottom dwelling).

I'm thinking a clump of chaeto with light (the better the lighting the "tighter" the chaeto will be) and some pods added to the sump is a fine start. Depending on the pods and your feeding regiment, you may or may not have to add some food for them.

The biopellets answer is going to depend on your bioload, amount of live rock and maturity of your tank. Keep in mind that the pods probably wouldn't mind living in the pellets also.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a good bucket method described on brineshrimpdirect. I'm using it and it seems to be working well. Mandarins also like white worms which are easy to grow.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back