How to Quarantine

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quarantine question regarding inverts. I am following Humblefish's protocals and have a fish QT and a coral QT. My question is what about other inverts (shrimp, crab, snails, erc.)? Also, do I need to "feed" my coral tank so there is an ammonia source or do the corals do that?

Yes, all inverts with a hard shell or exoskeleton should go into the coral QT. Shrimp or crabs that molt and don't have a shell that they live in can go into the display after a molt. It would be best to feed these inverts occasionally since they may starve themselves out. I sometimes use a bit of nori tied to a frag plug.... they all flock to it and feast lol. I do feed my QT corals occasionally as well along with dosing amino acids and vitamins twice a week. I dont' do water changes on it as often as I probably should, but the corals seem to do well anyway.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with Option A outlined on the first page. I've taken the paragraph and broken down it by day. I want to keep the fish quarantine for just 30 days. Did I write the process down correctly?

Day 0a:
Freshly mixed saltwater which has been fully dissolved and circulating for at least 24 hours.

Day 0b:
Add Bio-Spira, Seachem Stability or Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria.

Day 1:
Fish is floated in the bag for 20-30 minutes (to temp acclimate) and then released into QT with matching SG. Give the fish a few days to recuperate and try to get him eating. Once he’s eaten for two consecutive days…

Day 4:
Prazipro treatment (dose once). Wait 5-7 days.

Day 11:
20-25% water change or Ammonica reducer such as Amquel or Prime. 2nd round of Prazipro treatment (dose once). Wait 5-7 days.

Day 18:
20-25% water change or Ammonica reducer such as Amquel or Prime.

Day 23:
20-25% water change and run activated carbon for 24 hours.

Day 24-30:
After removing the carbon, begin either Chloroquine phosphate or copper treatment until 30 days is reached. Fish should be ready for the DT so long as he’s eating, looks healthy and isn’t displaying symptoms of any disease.

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with Option A outlined on the first page. I've taken the paragraph and broken down it by day. I want to keep the fish quarantine for just 30 days. Did I write the process down correctly?

Day 0a:
Freshly mixed saltwater which has been fully dissolved and circulating for at least 24 hours.

Day 0b:
Add Bio-Spira, Seachem Stability or Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria.

Day 1:
Fish is floated in the bag for 20-30 minutes (to temp acclimate) and then released into QT with matching SG. Give the fish a few days to recuperate and try to get him eating. Once he’s eaten for two consecutive days…

Day 4:
Prazipro treatment (dose once). Wait 5-7 days.

Day 11:
20-25% water change or Ammonica reducer such as Amquel or Prime. 2nd round of Prazipro treatment (dose once). Wait 5-7 days.

Day 18:
20-25% water change or Ammonica reducer such as Amquel or Prime.

Day 23:
20-25% water change and run activated carbon for 24 hours.

Day 24-30:
After removing the carbon, begin either Chloroquine phosphate or copper treatment until 30 days is reached. Fish should be ready for the DT so long as he’s eating, looks healthy and isn’t displaying symptoms of any disease.
Fish need to be in copper for 30 days. "After removing the carbon, I begin either Chloroquine phosphate or copper treatment for 30 days."

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish need to be in copper for 30 days.

With that, quarantine will reach 60 days.

One the first page, it states "A fish should be left in QT for a minimum of one month.". How do I adjust the schedule if I only want to quarantine for around 30 days? Is it possible?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that, quarantine will reach 60 days.

One the first page, it states "A fish should be left in QT for a minimum of one month.". How do I adjust the schedule if I only want to quarantine for around 30 days? Is it possible?
Yes you can in 30 days. Use the "Tank Transfer Method." You'll use a lot more salt and then there is the setup, cleaning and sterilizing of empty container/tank. But if you have the time - and you must stick to the 72 hour schedule - you'll be done, as long as the fish responds well to the treatments in 30 days.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can in 30 days. Use the "Tank Transfer Method." You'll use a lot more salt and then there is the setup, cleaning and sterilizing of empty container/tank. But if you have the time - and you must stick to the 72 hour schedule - you'll be done, as long as the fish responds well to the treatments in 30 days.

No, I don't like the "Tank Transfer Method". You're right, way too much work.

Kind of bummed. 60 days before I can put a fish in my DT. Can I eliminate copper treatment and just have the fish stay in the QT from day 24 to 30?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I hear ya. I've got some Firefish kicking it at day 42 in the QT right now. Google "Ick / Velvet in my saltwater tank" - Nightmare.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjusted my schedule and kept copper treatment for 30 days. I had an extra five days on my original schedule and I reduced the 5-7 days wait to 5 days. Now I am at 45 days total. Much better. :)

Day 0a:

Day 0b:
Add Seachem Stability.

Day 1:

Day 4:
Prazipro treatment (dose once). Wait 5 days.

Day 9:
20-25% water change or Ammonia reducer such as Amquel or Prime. 2nd round of Prazipro treatment (dose once). Wait 5 days.

Day 14:
20-25% water change or Ammonia reducer such as Amquel or Prime. Run activated carbon for 24 hours.

Day 15-45:
After removing the carbon, begin either Chloroquine phosphate or copper treatment for 30 days. Fish should be ready for the DT so long as he’s eating, looks healthy and isn’t displaying symptoms of any disease.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what happens if you make a qt because you have velvet. I treated the fish with cupramine. however did not use prazipro as I felt getting them velvet free was important. Is it possible to prazipro after. My DT has a 76 day fallow but I only have 1 qt

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what happens if you make a qt because you have velvet. I treated the fish with cupramine. however did not use prazipro as I felt getting them velvet free was important. Is it possible to prazipro after. My DT has a 76 day fallow but I only have 1 qt

Yes you can. Run carbon and do a few water changes and you can dose prazi for them. Dose it two times 5-7 days apart with a water change in between. You can run copper and prazi at the same time, but it's always best to separate them out when possible.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjusted my schedule and kept copper treatment for 30 days. I had an extra five days on my original schedule and I reduced the 5-7 days wait to 5 days. Now I am at 45 days total. Much better. :)

Day 0a:

Day 0b:
Add Seachem Stability.

Day 1:

Day 4:
Prazipro treatment (dose once). Wait 5 days.

Day 9:
20-25% water change or Ammonia reducer such as Amquel or Prime. 2nd round of Prazipro treatment (dose once). Wait 5 days.

Day 14:
20-25% water change or Ammonia reducer such as Amquel or Prime. Run activated carbon for 24 hours.

Day 15-45:
After removing the carbon, begin either Chloroquine phosphate or copper treatment for 30 days. Fish should be ready for the DT so long as he’s eating, looks healthy and isn’t displaying symptoms of any disease.

Looks good except:
  1. Don't use any ammonia reducers in conjunction with meds (especially copper).
  2. Don't hesitate to use copper first, prazi last if you suspect the fish has Marine Velvet Disease.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good except:
  1. Don't use any ammonia reducers in conjunction with meds (especially copper).
  2. Don't hesitate to use copper first, prazi last if you suspect the fish has Marine Velvet Disease.

Thank you for looking it over. Appreciate it.

Question. Ammonia reducer was mentioned as an alternate method on page 1. When do you use it? Besides the first few days, the fish are medicated the rest of the time until moved to DT.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. Ammonia reducer was mentioned as an alternate method on page 1. When do you use it? Besides the first few days, the fish are medicated the rest of the time until moved to DT.

It can be used during TTM when no meds are present in the water; or before or after medicating. Some people like to give the fish a prolonged period before medicating (to get eating). Or no meds after treatment(s) are complete to observe to ensure no diseases were missed.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be used during TTM when no meds are present in the water; or before or after medicating. Some people like to give the fish a prolonged period before medicating (to get eating). Or no meds after treatment(s) are complete to observe to ensure no diseases were missed.

Makes sense. Thank you again.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Oh well I feel bad. I woke up today on day 2 of qt and all my fish were dead
I will have to rethink fish stocking a month before my fallow period but still 75 days to go.
Just for future reference when you say run carbon I could just use something like chemipure blue right. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish or @melypr1985

I hope one of you can help me with the copper treatment with Seachem Cupramine product. I'm not sure why I am not understanding the treatment instructions.

Instructions state:
  1. Use 20 drops (1 mL) per 40 L (10.5 US gallons) the first day
  2. Wait 48 hours
  3. Repeat
  4. Leave at this concentration for 14 days
What do I do afterward the 14 days are up? Dose again? If yes, how much?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back