How to Quarantine

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish or @melypr1985, have you ever experimented with using Prazi and Copper at the same time? I tried it once (using Cupramine), as small a sample size as possible, and everything went off without a hitch. I tried it on a pair of Clowns - certainly not a sensitive fish.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish or @melypr1985, have you ever experimented with using Prazi and Copper at the same time? I tried it once (using Cupramine), as small a sample size as possible, and everything went off without a hitch. I tried it on a pair of Clowns - certainly not a sensitive fish.

It can be done, but you need to watch out for a bacterial bloom occurring when mixing Prazipro with any other med. If the water becomes too cloudy you could lose some fish due to asphyxiation because the bacteria in the water uses up all available O2.

What do I do afterward the 14 days are up? Dose again? If yes, how much?

Treat for 30 days (not 14), and use a Seachem or Salifert copper test kit (with Cupramine) to ensure therapeutic levels (0.35-0.5mg/L) are being maintained for the entire time.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat for 30 days (not 14), and use a Seachem or Salifert copper test kit (with Cupramine) to ensure therapeutic levels (0.35-0.5mg/L) are being maintained for the entire time.
  1. Day 1 treat
  2. Wait 48 hours
  3. Day 3 treat again
At this time I have reached therapeutic levels.

What you are saying is that anytime after the second treatment, I need to re-treat after performing a WC to maintain levels of 0.35-0.5mg/L.

So if I perform a WC change on day 5, I re-treat to maintain 0.35-0.5mg/L?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this time I have reached therapeutic levels.

I would not make that assumption without confirming with a test kit.

What you are saying is that anytime after the second treatment, I need to re-treat after performing a WC to maintain levels of 0.35-0.5mg/L.

So if I perform a WC change on day 5, I re-treat to maintain 0.35-0.5mg/L?

Yes, once you hit therapeutic levels you never want to drop below it unless purposely doing so. Because if you do, that restarts the treatment clock back to Day 1.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not make that assumption without confirming with a test kit.

Yes, once you hit therapeutic levels you never want to drop below it unless purposely doing so. Because if it happens, that restarts the treatment clock back to Day 1.

Thank you again. Now I know why so many people in this field don't quarantine their fish. A lot of work, but totally worth it.

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done, but you need to watch out for a bacterial bloom occurring when mixing Prazipro with any other med. If the water becomes too cloudy you could lose some fish due to asphyxiation because the bacteria in the water uses up all available O2.
Good heads up. I assume the bloom comes from the amount of solvent that goes into the water when PraziPro is combined with another medication? I know of people getting bacterial bloom after simply dosing Prazi alone. It's hasn't happened to me yet, but I know it happens.

I have quite a lot of surface agitation... perhaps an airstone or two would still be a good idea if I decide to keep testing it.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the bloom comes from the amount of solvent that goes into the water when PraziPro is combined with another medication?

Yes, its from the Oxybispropanol (inert solubilizing agent) that Prazipro contains. The only way to counteract a bacterial bloom is to provide more oxygen by cranking an air stone all the way up or pointing a powerhead towards the surface, in order to increase gas exchange.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I run air stone from day 1 to 45? Will the air stone ever have a negative affect during quarantine process?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I run air stone from day 1 to 45?

Yes

Will the air stone ever have a negative affect during quarantine process?

Only if the fish seem bothered by it. I personally use coarse air stones because some fish seem irritated by fine microbubbles in the water. Probably sticks to their mucous coat/gets inside their gills.

57hornet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quick question about Chloroquine phosphate, how much do I need? I have been in touch with a vet who said he would help me acquire it, but when he asked me how much I wanted (I felt stupid) and told him I was not sure. I have a 160 gallon DT with a 40 gallon sump. I have a 29 gallon QT and I am going to follow Humblefish's one tank quarantine protocol. I remember Humblefish stating CP had a two or three year shelf life. Any help on how much I should be looking for would be appreciated.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quick question about Chloroquine phosphate, how much do I need? I have been in touch with a vet who said he would help me acquire it, but when he asked me how much I wanted (I felt stupid) and told him I was not sure. I have a 160 gallon DT with a 40 gallon sump. I have a 29 gallon QT and I am going to follow Humblefish's one tank quarantine protocol. I remember Humblefish stating CP had a two or three year shelf life. Any help on how much I should be looking for would be appreciated.

30 grams would treat 30 gallons of water 25x. Less than that if you dosed at the higher 60mg/gal dosage. CP also has a 3 year shelf life.

M4rtin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up IM nuvo 10gal qt tank for my DT tank, but my DT won't be ready for fish for at least 2-3months.
I want to qt 1-2 clowfish soon, and keep them in qt tank till DT is ready for fish.
Will go with Option A and Prazipro treat.

What filters should I use in media basket while treating fish and after treatment is over and fish get to enjoy tank for a bit more time ?
I originally wanted to go with Floss>Chemipure Blue>Purigen.
Is this too much filtration that will absorb medicine ?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up IM nuvo 10gal qt tank for my DT tank, but my DT won't be ready for fish for at least 2-3months.
I want to qt 1-2 clowfish soon, and keep them in qt tank till DT is ready for fish.
Will go with Option A and Prazipro treat.

What filters should I use in media basket while treating fish and after treatment is over and fish get to enjoy tank for a bit more time ?
I originally wanted to go with Floss>Chemipure Blue>Purigen.
Is this too much filtration that will absorb medicine ?
While using meds, I prefer to only have a sponge in my HOB filter. Once you are done with the meds you can run most any filter combo.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a negative impact if QT has biological and chemical filtration via HOB when fish are NOT being medicated?

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 grams would treat 30 gallons of water 25x. Less than that if you dosed at the higher 60mg/gal dosage. CP also has a 3 year shelf life.

with cp do you need to maintain therapeutic levels for 30 days like copper or no? thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back