How to Quarantine

1. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Vinegar is cheap so I would run 2 or 3 gallons just to be on the safe side. And yes, I would just use tap water. Let it run for a few hours and it should take care of everything.

And yes, it will break down most copper bonds to create the copper acetate so it will work fine. If the acid doesn't release it, it won't get released into your tank when you use it for coral.

VJV likes this.

2. VJV

VJV Well-Known Member

Thanks again! Could I use citric acid instead? I can make whatever concentration I want and the family would appreciate the (lack of) smell

I have it in Powder form and is what I use to clean all my aquarium equipment. At 10% concentration works much better than vinegar. I don't even have to scrub.

3. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

That is a harder question than I expected. I have been trying to do some research and what I have found is interesting. Bottom line is that since we are talking about a very small amount of copper in 24g of water, it will work. The down side with citric acid is that it only readily combines with copper oxide where vinegar will combine with pure copper and copper oxide. The good news is that since it is still an acid, at a 10% concentration it will break down most other copper compounds and release the copper into the water allowing it to be flushed out.

Two different ways to get a similar result.

Big G likes this.
  4. Mfreddy

Mfreddy Well-Known Member

So.... The wife was pretty torn up about losing our purple tang and insists on another. It's arriving tomorrow, 4" long. My LFS is moving to a new location by the end of the month and I can pick up a 4" Lunare wrasse for 30 bucks.

Both species safe to run with option "A"? The tank is a 40 breeder that is more than 10 feet from my 29 that the angel finishes copper treatment today resides for now.

5. Mfreddy

One more question: Cupramine was pretty tough on my Emporator. Would I be better off with coppersafe?

6. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Louisiana Reef Club Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yes, IMO that would be easier on the tang and the wrasse.

7. Mfreddy

Thanks Humble. You, and Reef2reef are such valuable resources.

Humblefish, Brew12 and Big G like this.
  8. becks

becks Well-Known Member

Currently I have a tail spot blenny in QT, who's not eating, I have left some nori in the tank. Normally my experience with blennies is that they are greedy buggers!

9. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Louisiana Reef Club Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Have you tried some small particle food such as Nutramar ova or Reef Nutrition ROE? Or small sinking pellets?

Reef Nutrition likes this.
  10. becks

becks Well-Known Member

Not yet, he's started to explore the QT tank so I'm going to try again, I have some lobster roe too

Humblefish likes this.
  11. Reilly Keenen

Reilly Keenen New Member

So I’m setting up my first sw tank. It’s a 40b. Is a 20 high big enough for a qt tank?

12. Mfreddy

I have a 240 DT and 29 and 40 breeder qt/ht. If I had to go fallow I'd need a 55 too due to fish size. That's plenty for you.

Humblefish likes this.
  13. Undertaker

Undertaker Well-Known Member

when setting up your quarantine tank, If you choose not to use DT water. Does the water to be cycled?

14. Brew12

The vast majority of bacteria live on hard surfaces. Using tank water makes only a slight difference compared to using freshly mixed salt.

Humblefish likes this.