How to Quarantine

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The tank is a Innovative Marine Nuvo 24g that has all those compartments in the rear making it difficult to reach every nook and cranny. I guess hoses, media baskets, pumps, would also require that treatment.

Could I just run the tank with tap water and a % of vinegar? If so, what would the required ratio be to be effective?

Also, would it also work with Cupramine (non chelated, amine bound)?
Vinegar is cheap so I would run 2 or 3 gallons just to be on the safe side. And yes, I would just use tap water. Let it run for a few hours and it should take care of everything.

And yes, it will break down most copper bonds to create the copper acetate so it will work fine. If the acid doesn't release it, it won't get released into your tank when you use it for coral.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again! Could I use citric acid instead? I can make whatever concentration I want and the family would appreciate the (lack of) smell [emoji4]

I have it in Powder form and is what I use to clean all my aquarium equipment. At 10% concentration works much better than vinegar. I don't even have to scrub.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again! Could I use citric acid instead? I can make whatever concentration I want and the family would appreciate the (lack of) smell [emoji4]

I have it in Powder form and is what I use to clean all my aquarium equipment. At 10% concentration works much better than vinegar. I don't even have to scrub.
That is a harder question than I expected. I have been trying to do some research and what I have found is interesting. Bottom line is that since we are talking about a very small amount of copper in 24g of water, it will work. The down side with citric acid is that it only readily combines with copper oxide where vinegar will combine with pure copper and copper oxide. The good news is that since it is still an acid, at a 10% concentration it will break down most other copper compounds and release the copper into the water allowing it to be flushed out.

Two different ways to get a similar result.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... The wife was pretty torn up about losing our purple tang and insists on another. It's arriving tomorrow, 4" long. My LFS is moving to a new location by the end of the month and I can pick up a 4" Lunare wrasse for 30 bucks.

Both species safe to run with option "A"? The tank is a 40 breeder that is more than 10 feet from my 29 that the angel finishes copper treatment today resides for now.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question: Cupramine was pretty tough on my Emporator. Would I be better off with coppersafe?

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a tail spot blenny in QT, who's not eating, I have left some nori in the tank. Normally my experience with blennies is that they are greedy buggers!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a tail spot blenny in QT, who's not eating, I have left some nori in the tank. Normally my experience with blennies is that they are greedy buggers!

Have you tried some small particle food such as Nutramar ova or Reef Nutrition ROE? Or small sinking pellets?

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet, he's started to explore the QT tank so I'm going to try again, I have some lobster roe too

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when setting up your quarantine tank, If you choose not to use DT water. Does the water to be cycled?
The vast majority of bacteria live on hard surfaces. Using tank water makes only a slight difference compared to using freshly mixed salt.

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could only manage to get through the first 20 pages of this thread, so I hope this question hasn't been asked already! Assuming I QT my inverts, what on earth do I feed them in a virginal QT tank for 76 days? A tiny bit of fish food like pellets? Those sinking algae tabs for freshwater fish? I'll be curing some dry rock for my system, so I can toss a few pieces in QT for the inverts, but it'll take a while for it to cycle and grow enough algae and gunk on it to feed a bunch of hermits, snails, and a cleaner shrimp or two. Should I start cycling my QT tanks (I'll be quarantining fish the inverts separately) before I even buy the inverts? And since I'm not going to be using any medications on them, I'm assuming the rock will be safe to add to my display or sump later? Should I add a small container of sand for any burrowing snails that might need it? Also, will I need a HOB filter for invert QT, or will a heater, air stone/powerhead, and ammonia alert badge suffice? Thanks!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SallyWho You have to tailor a feeding regimen around whatever coral/invert you are QTing. For example:
  • Astraea, cerith, nerite, trochus snails will need nori & algae wafers for supplemental feeding; whereas a more carnivorous snail (such as Nassarius sp.) will appreciate small slivers of raw table shrimp, mysis shrimp, etc. In fact, IME most snails will eat shrimp, scallops and other "meats". Hermit crabs eat just about anything. :D
  • Crustaceans can be target fed table shrimp, mysis, LRS/Rod's. Also, once you see a crustacean molt he is good to go to put in the DT, as any tomonts will be on the shedded exoskeleton.
  • Soft corals are usually good with just light, but you can target feed LPS (at night when their sweepers are out) or dose amino acids, oyster eggs, Cyclopeeze, etc. for SPS.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I am quarantining a Copperband Butterfly and today I noticed these black spots in his left side fin. Do you know what these might be?

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SallyWho You have to tailor a feeding regimen around whatever coral/invert you are QTing. For example:
  • Astraea, cerith, nerite, trochus snails will need nori & algae wafers for supplemental feeding; whereas a more carnivorous snail (such as Nassarius sp.) will appreciate small slivers of raw table shrimp, mysis shrimp, etc. In fact, IME most snails will eat shrimp, scallops and other "meats". Hermit crabs eat just about anything. :D
  • Crustaceans can be target fed table shrimp, mysis, LRS/Rod's. Also, once you see a crustacean molt he is good to go to put in the DT, as any tomonts will be on the shedded exoskeleton.
  • Soft corals are usually good with just light, but you can target feed LPS (at night when their sweepers are out) or dose amino acids, oyster eggs, Cyclopeeze, etc. for SPS.
Thank you, Humblefish! That's exactly the information I needed!

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back