How to Quarantine

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble, Mel, Brew, have any of you ever used this?

556f608a7a84f4aab46c455ecade9021.jpg

I guess not as it is a German company and never heard anything about it in US forums. This is the composition:

8eab0e2a3b3b3135edb93d7190379679.jpg

Recommendation is to dose 60ml per 100l (start with 40, than add another 20 two days later). So I guess we are dosing 120mg of copper sulphate pentahydrate per 100 liters.

Any idea what concentration this implies?

They also say that the treatment (since first 40ml dose) only lasts 7 days, which does not make a lot of sense given ich lifecycle (unless the initial dose already brings concentration to therapeautical level, or the combination with Malachite green is especially effective).

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble, Mel, Brew, have any of you ever used this?

556f608a7a84f4aab46c455ecade9021.jpg

I guess not as it is a German company and never heard anything about it in US forums. This is the composition:

8eab0e2a3b3b3135edb93d7190379679.jpg

Recommendation is to dose 60ml per 100l (start with 40, than add another 20 two days later). So I guess we are dosing 120mg of copper sulphate pentahydrate per 100 liters.

Any idea what concentration this implies?

They also say that the treatment (since first 40ml dose) only lasts 7 days, which does not make a lot of sense given ich lifecycle (unless the initial dose already brings concentration to therapeautical level, or the combination with Malachite green is especially effective).
Never seen that before, but I love the idea!

A PPM is the same a 1mg/L which give us 1.2ppm of copper sulfate pentahydrate.
Since we don't care about the sulfate or pentahydrate I had to look up that copper makes up 25.5% of total mass of CuSO4+5H2O.

The recommended dosing gets us roughly 0.3ppm Cu.

Hopefully I had enough coffee this morning to do the math correctly!

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like qt is the way to go but I have killed more fish in the month of qt than I have in general. what am I doing wrong. I have a seachem ammonia alert badge. My purple tang, assesor basslet and clowns are the only surviving fish since I started qt in September. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. My yellow watchman goby died today, my royal gramma last week and my sharknose cleaner goby did not make first week just in the past month

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like qt is the way to go but I have killed more fish in the month of qt than I have in general. what am I doing wrong. I have a seachem ammonia alert badge. My purple tang, assesor basslet and clowns are the only surviving fish since I started qt in September. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. My yellow watchman goby died today, my royal gramma last week and my sharknose cleaner goby did not make first week just in the past month

QTing fish is like anything else; it's a learn as you go process. The more you do it, the better you will get at it as you figure out all the little things you are doing right & wrong.

I wrote this a while back: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-dos-and-don’ts-of-quarantine.203898/

It contains all the little things I figured out I was doing right & wrong in QT. Hope it helps.

M4rtin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 10gal quarantine tank for coral, can I have one fish in there like sixline for example ?
Coral is in quarantine tank for 2+months before moving to DT.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 10gal quarantine tank for coral, can I have one fish in there like sixline for example ?
Coral is in quarantine tank for 2+months before moving to DT.

If you are using the coral QT to starve out potential fish diseases, then no fish can be present in it.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a springeri damsel in a QT that's located in our workshop, due to the cold temperatures at the moment the temperature is 22.5 to 23c, will this be ok or should I add a second heater?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a springeri damsel in a QT that's located in our workshop, due to the cold temperatures at the moment the temperature is 22.5 to 23c, will this be ok or should I add a second heater?

I would bump it up to at least 24C.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish what ratio of bleach to water would you recommend to sterilize a QT and for how long? Have seen a lot of different recommendations out there.

jluspo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a powder blue tang in qt for two weeks now. It is eating well and no sign of ick. Should I treat with copper anyway or should I just observe for two more weeks before moving it to my display tank?

Thanks!!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a powder blue tang in qt for two weeks now. It is eating well and no sign of ick. Should I treat with copper anyway or should I just observe for two more weeks before moving it to my display tank?

Thanks!!!
I treat every fish with copper just in case it has developed an immunity but is still a carrier.

jluspo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treat every fish with copper just in case it has developed an immunity but is still a carrier.

Thanks for your responses. Can I treat with copper while it's in hypo-salinity (1.010)? What about Prazi? Can I run copper and prazi and hypo at the same time?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your responses. Can I treat with copper while it's in hypo-salinity (1.010)? What about Prazi? Can I run copper and prazi and hypo at the same time?
Unless the fish were actively being attacked by velvet I would raise salinity back up prior to treating with copper. Not sure about Prazi. You can run copper and Prazi at the same time although I typically don't.

Fizbang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say...great thread! I'm new to the saltwater side of the hobby so this is mucho appreciated. On a side note, @Humblefish I see you are in Navarre, I am in FWB. :)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the Prazi, is the powder or liquid best?
May not be a question of "better" but maybe better for the particular fish. Humblefish said this in an earlier post on a discussion of API's General Cure which contains both Prazi & Metro in it's powder dosage package: "I strongly recommend using GC (General Cure) in lieu of Prazipro on wrasses and other prazi sensitive fish. GC contains a more appropriate praziquantel dosage (2.0 mg/L); whereas Prazipro (liquid) is slightly overdosed at 2.5 mg/L. Most fish should be able to handle this higher dosage, but it could be to blame for the deaths of wrasses and other sensitive species." Hope this helps. Merry Christmas!

Fizbang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May not be a question of "better" but maybe better for the particular fish. Humblefish said this in an earlier post on a discussion of API's General Cure which contains both Prazi & Metro in it's powder dosage package: "I strongly recommend using GC (General Cure) in lieu of Prazipro on wrasses and other prazi sensitive fish. GC contains a more appropriate praziquantel dosage (2.0 mg/L); whereas Prazipro (liquid) is slightly overdosed at 2.5 mg/L. Most fish should be able to handle this higher dosage, but it could be to blame for the deaths of wrasses and other sensitive species." Hope this helps. Merry Christmas!
Thank you....I have been reading but haven't made it through the entire thread yet :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back