H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks can i just do a 100% water change. It is only 14 Gallons

No, it must be like doing a tank transfer: new tank, water, equipment, etc. The only thing that gets transferred over is the fish.

If you just drain the tank, tomonts will still be encysted on the glass, equipment, etc.

Slayvoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you treat the display tank as the quarantine for the first set of fish that you put in with a brand new tank?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a negative impact if QT has biological and chemical filtration via HOB when fish are NOT being medicated?
Nope, the biological filtration is very important. The chemical filtration is just fine as long as it is done correctly. Such as powder from activated carbon can cause HLLE. You just don't want the chemical filtration when using meds.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you treat the display tank as the quarantine for the first set of fish that you put in with a brand new tank?
You won't want to do this in my opinion. I treat all fish with copper prior to going in my system and I don't want any in my DT. Yes, it can be removed over time with filtration but not something I want to deal with.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about something my aquarium guy suggested. Transferring all my corals into my nano and putting my fish in dt and treating dt with cp.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about something my aquarium guy suggested. Transferring all my corals into my nano and putting my fish in dt and treating dt with cp.

Not a great plan. The CP is likely to be rendered useless do to the biofilm that builds up in fish tanks. Since you can't test for CP concentration, you won't know when the cp has been degraded to the point of uselessness.

M4rtin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one 10 gallon QT tank and I'm about to quarantine 1-2 clownfish.
Can I quarantine corals in the same tank ?
Can I run Prazipro treatment on fish while having corals in tank at the same time ?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one 10 gallon QT tank and I'm about to quarantine 1-2 clownfish.
Can I quarantine corals in the same tank ?
Can I run Prazipro treatment on fish while having corals in tank at the same time ?

No, corals and fish cannot be QTd together because they could potentially cross contaminate one another.

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m quaretining a Goby, do I need to add sand to the tank? Or will it eat pellets from the bottom?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m quaretining a Goby, do I need to add sand to the tank? Or will it eat pellets from the bottom?
You could consider placing a small tupperware dish with sand in your tank. My gobbies eat off the bare bottom but they also like dipping into the dish with the sand. Cheers!

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Humblefish, hope you are doing great. One question: is there anyway to reuse a fish QT as a coral QT? I use Prazipro and cupramine in the fish QT. If I completely empty the tank, give it a good rinse, let it dry, than Dill with water and heavily run carbon before adding the corals, would that work?

I could also sterilize with bleach though I do not see the point in that given any surviving Tomonts would not have any fish to attach to during the 77 day QT of the corals.

Cheers

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question: is there anyway to reuse a fish QT as a coral QT? I use Prazipro and cupramine in the fish QT. If I completely empty the tank, give it a good rinse, let it dry, than Dill with water and heavily run carbon before adding the corals, would that work?

Break the tank completely down, wipe it (and all equipment) using a vinegar soaked paper towel/rag, rinse everything thoroughly and you are good to go. :)

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Break the tank completely down, wipe it (and all equipment) using a vinegar soaked paper towel/rag, rinse everything thoroughly and you are good to go. :)

Thanks. I am not concerned with sterilizing the tank. I am concerned whether trace levels of copper of prazi may be left behind and kill the corals basically.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I am not concerned with sterilizing the tank. I am concerned whether trace levels of copper of prazi may be left behind and kill the corals basically.

Won't happen so long as you wipe everything down thoroughly using vinegar.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Vinegar neutralizes copper and prazi? I really never thought of that... does it has to be vinegar or citric acid would also work?
Vinegar doesn't neutralize copper. It reacts with the copper to form copper acetate which is water soluble and very easy to rinse out.
Prazi breaks down on its own after a few days so it isn't an issue.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar doesn't neutralize copper. It reacts with the copper to form copper acetate which is water soluble and very easy to rinse out.
Prazi breaks down on its own after a few days so it isn't an issue.

Thanks! The tank is a Innovative Marine Nuvo 24g that has all those compartments in the rear making it difficult to reach every nook and cranny. I guess hoses, media baskets, pumps, would also require that treatment.

Could I just run the tank with tap water and a % of vinegar? If so, what would the required ratio be to be effective?

Also, would it also work with Cupramine (non chelated, amine bound)?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back