How to upgrade tanks

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i just got a 55 gallon to day that im upgrading to from a 30 gallon and im wondering whats the best way to go about this since I’ve never upgraded before and I want the new tank to be in the same spot as the old one, some main questions i was wanting to know are

• Do i have to cycle again or can i just transfer over the same water and filter pads so i dont have too
  • What do i do about the fish and corals when swapping everything over
  • Stupid question but if I pick up the tank half full of water in it will it break

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Bacteria is in the filter, sand, and rocks, moving water won’t really do anything other than give you less to mix.
2. Transfer everything living over to a separate holding container (buckets, sterlite bins, anything that holds water) while you drain the rest of the 30 and swap it for the 55. You can then add new sand (generally you don’t want to add the old sand) and your rocks and coral. Once filled, add fish.
3. You never want to lift an aquarium filled with water - very heavy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Bacteria is in the filter, sand, and rocks, moving water won’t really do anything other than give you less to mix.
2. Transfer everything living over to a separate holding container (buckets, sterlite bins, anything that holds water) while you drain the rest of the 30 and swap it for the 55. You can then add new sand (generally you don’t want to add the old sand) and your rocks and coral. Once filled, add fish.
3. You never want to lift an aquarium filled with water - very heavy.
I have someone to help me lift and why should i not use the same sand?

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to get as much water out as possible first.

When I upgraded my tank I was told not to use the same sand - I forget the exact reasons but I’m pretty sure it has to do with all the nasty stuff that is part of the sandbed and anoxic regions being kicked up and sent into the water column.

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is your sandbed? That’s the real question here.. I would drain the tank the best you can so it’s lighter like mentioned.. if you don’t have a deep sand bed it’s prolly okay to reuse it if you want.. as for the corals I just drain my water into a large cooler and place the rocks with corals into it.. move the old tank out and set the new one up and once it’s ready pump the water back into the new tank on top of rocks etc to not stir up the sand the best I can..

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep, the old sand is full of nasty stuff. A cup or two from the surface, gently rinsed, can transfer useful microorganisms, but by and large you don't want to move that. Deep sandbed or not.

Transferring your live rock to the new tank means your new tank is now fully cycled. Don't reuse water or filter pads; in reefs, the bulk of the bacteria is in the rock, not the filtration or the water.

Yes, an aquarium lifted partially full of water is likely to break. Weight on the people moving it isn't the main problem; the main problem is that the weight of the water will suddenly be moving around, in ways the tank isn't made to resist. Don't move a tank with more than about half an inch of loose water in it.

Upvote 0

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, take all the critters and rocks and water and transfer to a bin off to the side for the moment with lights and some powerheads moving water around in there while you get the now empty old tank out and set the new tank. From There get it filled with new sand and salt water and then add in your rocks and critters and enjoy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, the old sand is full of nasty stuff. A cup or two from the surface, gently rinsed, can transfer useful microorganisms, but by and large you don't want to move that. Deep sandbed or not.

Transferring your live rock to the new tank means your new tank is now fully cycled. Don't reuse water or filter pads; in reefs, the bulk of the bacteria is in the rock, not the filtration or the water.

Yes, an aquarium lifted partially full of water is likely to break. Weight on the people moving it isn't the main problem; the main problem is that the weight of the water will suddenly be moving around, in ways the tank isn't made to resist. Don't move a tank with more than about half an inch of loose water in it.
My rock is only 6 months old, is that old enough for it to have all the bacteria on it? And is it okay to use the same water so i don't have to make a bunch of water or is it better not too?

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock is only 6 months old, is that old enough for it to have all the bacteria on it? And is it okay to use the same water so i don't have to make a bunch of water or is it better not too?
I’ve always used the same water myself.. I really don’t see any harm in it! It’s just like doing a water change you’re adding fresh salt water to it and diluting it.. if it’s nasty from the sand sloshing around etc I wouldn’t use it.. but any water you drain before disturbing the tank is fine.

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank's cycle, for lack of a better way to phrase this, mainly lives in the live rock. If your tank can support fish, that means your live rock can support fish, so any tank that rocks goes into can support fish.

Reusing water that's removed BEFORE you get to pulling out rocks and sand is fine. Once you start removing sand and rocks and stirring things up, the water still left in the tank gets gross, and it shouldn't be used.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank's cycle, for lack of a better way to phrase this, mainly lives in the live rock. If your tank can support fish, that means your live rock can support fish, so any tank that rocks goes into can support fish.

Reusing water that's removed BEFORE you get to pulling out rocks and sand is fine. Once you start removing sand and rocks and stirring things up, the water still left in the tank gets gross, and it shouldn't be used.
Since its a bigger tank will that cause ammonia spike or anything because theres less bacteria in the water now?

Upvote 0

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a heap of research before i did the same thing...your tank being 6mths old is on the edge of whether to simply transfer the sand or wash it, mine was only 3 mths and I just transfered it. you are going to get so many differing opinions here.
as long as your rock stays wet and nothing dies, you shouldnt get a spike. if you had a heavy bio load for the 6 months you may get a spike if you simply transfer the sand..if you want to play it safe get new sand and put a cup of old sand in each corner. there is heaps of reading to be done but ultimately make the call that you think will work best for you.

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The amount of bacteria relative to the amount of water isn't the important part, it's the amount of bacteria relative to the amount of waste being produced. As long as you don't immediately stock the tank to full capacity, you won't have any problems.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of bacteria relative to the amount of water isn't the important part, it's the amount of bacteria relative to the amount of waste being produced. As long as you don't immediately stock the tank to full capacity, you won't have any problems.
Thank you

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back