OP
RodeoClownfish

RodeoClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will be a great setup with a lot of different possible plans!
When you can, I would recommend starting a build thread (even though already up and running) to document your progress and ask questions on the forum.

I am all too familiar with the unending dreams of possibilities! Just remember to start slowly and practice the much-needed patience in this hobby. Pick some of your top favorites, check compatibilities, research care requirements for those species, then build your plan around that.

I don't think it is possible to do too much research!

Your preliminary stocking plan looks pretty good for a 75-gallon tank.
The list seems to include good utilization of tank areas with some open-water fish, some less-active fish, some bottom-dwelling fish, etc.
A few comments from my research:
  • Filefish sometimes end up eating corals, so you may want to wait on aiptasia control until you actually need it.
  • Lawnmower blennies are great fish, but they do require algae to eat and are generally recommended as a later addition once the tank is established and actually growing algae.
  • Chromis often get aggressive when mature and end up with one dominant one killing all others, especially in a "small" tank like a 75-gallon. I certainly recommend the cardinalfish route for a small shoal in a 75-gallon, and probably keep the numbers at 3-4.
  • Tangs are somewhat difficult for a 75-gallon tank, but you could consider the bristletooth tangs, such as the Kole tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) or Tomini tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis). They tend to be more peaceful and smaller than most tangs (which usually get too large for a 75-gallon).
  • Hawkfish may be an issue if you choose small cardinalfish above, as they will eat fish that are small enough to consume. Check relative sizes for compatibility.
  • Sixline wrasses seem to be either no problem at all or an absolute terror to other fish. It is up to you whether you want to risk trying it or not. There are many other wrasses that are also a good option for a 75, such as different Cirrhilabrus or Halichoeres wrasses. I would recommend keeping the wrasse total length under 4" for adults in a 75. Also, keep only 1 wrasse, as they often get aggressive with conspecifics.
  • Lemonpeel Angel would be a suitable consideration if you are willing to take the risk on it nipping/eating corals. Dwarf angels also do better in established tanks with algae growth, so waiting longer to add this fish will probably give better chances at success.
I am looking forward to seeing future progress!
Thanks for the suggestions, @Soren . I will probably take your advice and get some cardinals, wait on the filefish, and look for a bristletooth tang that I like. I'll probably pass on the six line wrasse unless I'm able to watch it in a tank with other fish for a while to see if it's aggressive or not. Right now I'm going to focus on completing the cycle and adding that pair of clownfish and that should keep me busy for the next month.

Per your suggestion, I started a tank build! You can find it here:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As prompted, I just wanted to say howdy. Everyone loves to talk about themselves, so I'll spare the details other than to say I farm for living, love everything aquatic, and I'm glad to be here. Like many new reefers I've spent hours upon hours reading and watching videos on starting and maintaining a reef tank. I'm happy to say I started mine this weekend after having the tank for over a year.

I really regret not taking more pictures because I think folks would have gotten a kick out of how I transferred the RO water to my tank. It involved a car wash that produces 0 TDS RO/DI water, a 65 gallon poly spray tank in the bed of my pickup (only ever used for the water, don't worry), 50 feet of vinyl tubing and an old Sicce pump, and the ever-present Brute trash bin (aka salt mixing bin). Eventually I'll start making my own water, but my well is terrible (I'm out in the boonies, no city water out here) so that will have to wait.

Here's a quick video of the new tank in all her glory. Looking forward to participating here!

Welcome! Glad you joined. LOVING your creativity and desire to do the right thing but needing to think outside the box - you are going to be a saltwater lifer with your 'find a way, make a way' attitude!!

This is a great reference book type online post article I still check:

CONGRATS on already having your build thread badge!! WAHOO!!!

OP
OP
RodeoClownfish

RodeoClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. LOVING your creativity and desire to do the right thing but needing to think outside the box - you are going to be a saltwater lifer with your 'find a way, make a way' attitude!!

This is a great reference book type online post article I still check:

CONGRATS on already having your build thread badge!! WAHOO!!!
Thank you @Fish Think Pink . I probably should purchase some books on reef keeping and appreciate your recommendation. I know I am probably doing things a little unorthodox, but what else can you expect from a Midwest farmer? We find a way to make it work. I actually pulled another 55 gallons of R0/DI water from the carwash today in anticipation of starting my quarantine setup using humblefish's hybrid tank transfer method. First inhabitants will be a mated pair of tiger clowns and I couldn't be more excited! My buddy Mario at Aquatica in Tinley Park is going to send me some footage of them as soon as he gets them in the store so I'll be sure to post in my build thread. Thanks again!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to
As prompted, I just wanted to say howdy. Everyone loves to talk about themselves, so I'll spare the details other than to say I farm for living, love everything aquatic, and I'm glad to be here. Like many new reefers I've spent hours upon hours reading and watching videos on starting and maintaining a reef tank. I'm happy to say I started mine this weekend after having the tank for over a year.

I really regret not taking more pictures because I think folks would have gotten a kick out of how I transferred the RO water to my tank. It involved a car wash that produces 0 TDS RO/DI water, a 65 gallon poly spray tank in the bed of my pickup (only ever used for the water, don't worry), 50 feet of vinyl tubing and an old Sicce pump, and the ever-present Brute trash bin (aka salt mixing bin). Eventually I'll start making my own water, but my well is terrible (I'm out in the boonies, no city water out here) so that will have to wait.

Here's a quick video of the new tank in all her glory. Looking forward to participating here!
Welcome to R2R.JPG

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back