How's my euhpyllia looking?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife picked this up 1 week ago as a surprise.

It came with that exposed skeleton and hasn't gotten any worse, I am honestly not sure if its part of the coral or if it was mounted on it, but I think it might be growing back over a little.

It looked fairly deflated for 2 days, and then after adjusting flow it has gotten to this point.

By her description of what it looked like when she picked it up, I am pretty sure its a torch. It has 4 heads one of the heads seems a little detached.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this stage it appears more like an Octospawn than Torch ;)
Thanks! It definitely appears to be an octospawn.

Is there anything I should be worried about in regard to the head that seems partially (mostly) detached? Its the one on the back of the front left head.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be wrong but don't look good to me why is it so droopy why are the tentacles super inflated why are bits hanging from it?

the only thing it has going for it is that it looks fully open

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be wrong but don't look good to me why is it so droopy why are the tentacles super inflated why are bits hanging from it?

That's what I am asking, I have no idea it's on day 7 of being in the tank

The first 3 days it looked like popped balloons. The only thing going for it is the exposed skeleton appears to be healing.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't agree that inflation is a sign of stress. I have a couple frogs that hyper extend and inflate like this and it's typically a sign they are loving life. What does look concerning is those left side branches almost look like they are dropping which is certainly a sign of stress.

Don't fiddle with it too much. As long as it's not getting blasted with light or flow give it some time and it should rebound if you have stability. Moves can be stressful on coral

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree that inflation is a sign of stress. I have a couple frogs that hyper extend and inflate like this and it's typically a sign they are loving life. What does look concerning is those left side branches almost look like they are dropping which is certainly a sign of stress.

Don't fiddle with it too much. As long as it's not getting blasted with light or flow give it some time and it should rebound if you have stability. Moves can be stressful on coral
Its definitely improving its condition, its just...

Harder to tell the state of it even after the research. It doesn't look like the asking for help threads bad, but I didn't think it was quite right.

Thank you.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those left side branches are another head behind it, the one that is more than half detached. It looked like it was much much smaller than the others when I got it, it kind of showed up out of nowhere o. Day 5 like this.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inspected it closer, and the one in back I am mentioning, appears to not be another head, I don't see a mouth.

What should I do for it?

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I am asking, I have no idea it's on day 7 of being in the tank

The first 3 days it looked like popped balloons. The only thing going for it is the exposed skeleton appears to be healing.
Well i hope it goes well for you like i said i could be wrong and some 1 said the super inflated tentacles is not a bad thing

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inspected it closer, and the one in back I am mentioning, appears to not be another head, I don't see a mouth.

What should I do for it?
Nothing you can do for it outside give it time (unless you have some parameters that seem off). If its another head it could be dying, or it could be a branch being dropped. The others look healthy enough

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing you can do for it outside give it time (unless you have some parameters that seem off). If its another head it could be dying, or it could be a branch being dropped. The others look healthy enough
Thank you.

My perameters have been super stable, so I assume its the best it can be for a newer tank.

75G Reef
Thursday 02/02 10:05 PM
Temperature: 78 °F
pH: 8.07
Nitrate: 12 ppm
Phosphate: .04 ppm
Alkalinity: 10.0 dKH
Calcium: 420 ppm
Magnesium: 1370 ppm
Silica: 1ppm

75G Reef
Monday 01/30 09:19 PM
pH: 8.0
Nitrate: 14 ppm
Phosphate: .03 ppm
Salinity: 1.026 SG
Alkalinity: 9.6 dKH
Calcium: 440 ppm

75G Reef
Friday 01/27 11:21 PM
Phosphate: .05 ppm
Magnesium: 1380 ppm

I've been dosing daily:
55ml soda ash
45ml calcium
38ml balling part C
15ml Neo Phos
3ml Neo Nitro
.5ml Sponge Excel Silica
3ml Microbacter

Tests have been right at these levels for weeks now. Most of the dosing is due to dinos right after the diatom bloom in ugly phase. Theyve been gone for a few weeks, but it seems keeping the silica up is good for the pod population, the iso and cope are everywhere

My assumption is, at this rate its stable enough for a BTA.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

My perameters have been super stable, so I assume its the best it can be for a newer tank.

75G Reef
Thursday 02/02 10:05 PM
pH: 8.07
Phosphate: .04 ppm
Alkalinity: 10.0 dKH
Calcium: 420 ppm

75G Reef
Monday 01/30 09:19 PM
Nitrate: 14 ppm
Phosphate: .03 ppm
Salinity: 1.026 SG

75G Reef
Friday 01/27 11:21 PM
Phosphate: .05 ppm
Magnesium: 1380 ppm

I've been dosing daily:
55ml soda ash
45ml calcium
38ml balling part C
15ml Neo Phos
3ml Neo Nitro
.5ml Sponge Excel Silica
3ml Microbacter

Tests have been right at these levels for weeks now. Most of the dosing is due to dinos right after the diatom bloom in ugly phase. Theyve been gone for a few weeks, but it seems keeping the silica up is good for the pod population, the iso and cope are everywhere

My assumption is, at this rate its stable enough for a BTA.
Numbers look fine, alk maybe on the high side, but it's all about stability. A .4 drop over a day isn't the worst but still not wonderful. And I'd try to bring the pH up if you can. Are you running a skimmer?

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numbers look fine, alk maybe on the high side, but it's all about stability. A .4 drop over a day isn't the worst but still not wonderful. And I'd try to bring the pH up if you can. Are you running a skimmer?
Yes, very full house, running a carbon scrubber. Drops to 7.88 at the lowest and 8.1 at the highest usually. I have kalkwasser in the ato to help keep it up. I might have to run an outside line, but it has been improving, 2 months ago I could barely get to 8. The chaeto in the fuge is just now starting to make a noticeable impact on ph increase.

For alk, that was a .4 over 3 days.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The back left is definitely another head, amd is definitely barely attached. Watching it close after lights out.

What can I do for it? It isn't clearly dying, do I remove it and glue it to something? Or glue it back onto the skeleton the other heads are on? Or leave it?

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The back left is definitely another head, amd is definitely barely attached. Watching it close after lights out.

What can I do for it? It isn't clearly dying, do I remove it and glue it to something? Or glue it back onto the skeleton the other heads are on? Or leave it?
i would just leave it alone

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, the loose head finally gave up today.

The others are doing fine, and the exposed skeleton on one side at the base is conpletely healed over, other side is starting to heal.

It looks like that additional head was glued on to start with. I can't get a good picture due to the angle its at, but when i remove it eventually to inspect ill take one. I see no evidence given how the branching structure looks, that a head ever grew in there.

Is that even possible? Or does it just heal the skeleton as it is detaching the head so it looks like nothing hapenned?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back