Howto: 0-10v Control Return Pump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several Return pumps allow external 0-10v flow adjustments.

These types of pumps can very easily be controller through the ProfiLux and it's available 0-10v L ports (Yellow)

ProfiLux-3.1TeX_Anschl%C3%BCsse-2729x1885-e1438015116643.jpg

To get started, you need to have either:
  • GHL compatible 0-10v cable for your pump.
OR
  • GHL LBF-AP module - Connects to L port and provides terminal pinout for connecting bare wires (-/+) 0-10v signal

With this we can set the speed/flow of the pump, throttle it down at night time, increase for thunderstorm and/or decrease for feedings.

In my example, we're going to set the return pump for consistent flow - no wave motion or increase/decrease during normal use.

It's all in the Stream Group setting. In my case, I use Streamgroup 8, I added my RD3 10v interface on L3 to the group, and set it:
Mode: Permanent
Waves: no waves
* Add Pump#: 3

We will set the running power to 60%, 25% during Feed Cycle, and 100% for wild flow during thunderstorms.

Edit pump 3 for:
Minimum: 25
Maximum: 60
(running power)
Night: 40
Thunderstorm
: 100
Behavior for feed:
minimum

07.02.2016-11.49.png

07.02.2016-11.50.png

07.02.2016-11.50.png

Please let me know if you have questions or need assistance with building a program for you.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems pretty straightforward but I'd like to see how you'd set up a circular like a GYRE .

OP
OP
Support@GHLUSA

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems pretty straightforward but I'd like to see how you'd set up a circular like a GYRE .

Very simple.

You'll need a Gyre, the model respective IceCap 0-10v interface, and you can either modify the APEX cable, or pickup the LBF-AP module for an easy screw terminal connection.

We're going to use StreamGroup #7 for the Gyre programs - You may use whichever you desire, this is what I used, and will be shown below:

I assigned Port/Pump #5 to Stream Group #7 - the groups are a programming grouping.
Set Mode to Permanent if you only have 1 Gyre in this group.
Set Mode to Permanent Opposite if you have 2 Gyres and want to reverse flow between the 2 units.

I set waves to Right Angle - this is a MIN to MAX, like a ON/OFF - not a ramping style output. You can also ramp up/down..
I set my pump#5 for 10% - 100% w/ 35% night time.

11.18.2016-12.49.png

Then assigned the Stream Pump #5 to my L5 port..

11.18.2016-12.52.png

Now you can plug in the pump's interface into the respective L port on the controller or expansion box ... and enjoy the Gyre.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for this how to! Nice job!

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Marco, I can't seem to locate any information on wiring/connecting the LBF-AP Module , can you expand on this ststement? "You'll need a Gyre, the model respective IceCap 0-10v interface, and you can either modify the APEX cable, or pickup the LBF-AP module for an easy screw terminal connection."

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently looking into switching to the Profilux 4, but I'm trying to figure out if my skimmer and return pump are compatible. I currently have the Reef Octopus VarioS-6 for a return pump and a Deltec SC1351 as my skimmer. Are either of these capable of having the Profilux control their speed?

OP
OP
Support@GHLUSA

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently looking into switching to the Profilux 4, but I'm trying to figure out if my skimmer and return pump are compatible. I currently have the Reef Octopus VarioS-6 for a return pump and a Deltec SC1351 as my skimmer. Are either of these capable of having the Profilux control their speed?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/varios-6-controllable-dc-pump-1720-gph-reef-octopus.html
Third Party Control
There is a dedicated port on the VarioS controller letting you directly connect your VarioS pump to any third party controller through a 0-10V reference port. Controlling your pump through a controller like an Apex lets you create your own flow profiles which are particularly handy for closed loop systems creating a random flow throughout the aquarium.

As for your skimmer, it looks like the SC1351 has a DC powered pump with controller, but you'd have to reach out to Deltec, or their reps to see if the controller is externally adjustable via 0-10v. If so, then the ProfiLux could control it. Check with @Battlecorals

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer pump to Deltec SC 1351 looks for me to be a 2000DC Jebao pump. It looks like them and the control is identical. Jebao use 0-5 V. It’s possible to do a DIY and control the pump through Profilux. At the 1-10 V interface in the GCC you can change the span to 0 – 5 V. I have not test with the Deltec SC1351 skimmer (I have one by myself) but with other Jebao DC pumps and wavemakers – it works well.

Sincerely Lasse

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/varios-6-controllable-dc-pump-1720-gph-reef-octopus.html

As for your skimmer, it looks like the SC1351 has a DC powered pump with controller, but you'd have to reach out to Deltec, or their reps to see if the controller is externally adjustable via 0-10v. If so, then the ProfiLux could control it. Check with @Battlecorals

Thanks for the quick response! I currently have a cord that is allowing me to control the Reef Octopus through the Apex. It connect to the RO through a 0-10v stereo port and the other end connects to the apex with an RJ-45 end. Will this work with the Profilux or would I need to purchase the LBF-AP module? Thanks for your help

The skimmer pump to Deltec SC 1351 looks for me to be a 2000DC Jebao pump. It looks like them and the control is identical. Jebao use 0-5 V. It’s possible to do a DIY and control the pump through Profilux. At the 1-10 V interface in the GCC you can change the span to 0 – 5 V. I have not test with the Deltec SC1351 skimmer (I have one by myself) but with other Jebao DC pumps and wavemakers – it works well.

Sincerely Lasse

Thanks. I might give that a try. If not, Oh well, I don't really need to control the skimmer speed anyways, just something else to play with :).

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response! I currently have a cord that is allowing me to control the Reef Octopus through the Apex. It connect to the RO through a 0-10v stereo port and the other end connects to the apex with an RJ-45 end. Will this work with the Profilux or would I need to purchase the LBF-AP module? Thanks for your help

Thanks. I might give that a try. If not, Oh well, I don't really need to control the skimmer speed anyways, just something else to play with :).

I think controlling the skimmer becomes critical when the return pump/s are controlled! When the pump speed changes the level of the sump also changes , if it slows down enough the sump level can go high enough to cause the skimmer to overflow. I have not installed myP4 yet so I am adjusting the speed of my L1 manually, every so often I experience this issue.

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think controlling the skimmer becomes critical when the return pump/s are controlled! When the pump speed changes the level of the sump also changes , if it slows down enough the sump level can go high enough to cause the skimmer to overflow. I have not installed myP4 yet so I am adjusting the speed of my L1 manually, every so often I experience this issue.

I'll still have the skimmer plugged into the power bar so that I can turn it off when I feed or if I mess with the return pump. I just don't really need to control the DC pump speed of the skimmer. That really doesn't change anyways.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not about the feed mode, when the pump pulls less the sump level rises ..........yes I know it is supposed to balance out , but it finds equilibrium at a higher level when the pump slows down .The sump operates at different levels based on the return pump flow and speed, especially if you are feeding reactors too.

BeachBum2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very simple.

You'll need a Gyre, the model respective IceCap 0-10v interface, and you can either modify the APEX cable, or pickup the LBF-AP module for an easy screw terminal connection.

At this point when you reference modifying the APEX cable, do you mean snipping off the plug and replacing it with an RJ12 plug that could be used directly into the 0-10V interface on the back of the ProfiLux? If so, what is the pin out for that plug? I can't seem to find it anywhere easily. Thanks

Back