Howto: 0-10v Control Return Pump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Support@GHLUSA

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point when you reference modifying the APEX cable, do you mean snipping off the plug and replacing it with an RJ12 plug that could be used directly into the 0-10V interface on the back of the ProfiLux? If so, what is the pin out for that plug? I can't seem to find it anywhere easily. Thanks
No, I'm saying cut off the RJ45 end of the apex cable and use the wires, then wire to the LBF-AP
maxresdefault.jpg

OP
OP
Support@GHLUSA

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies - I suppose both are possible. For simplest solution I would recommend using the LBF-AP. Some 0-10v device vendors have pigtail cables, that have their interface specific connector and bare wires for the "controller" side. If that isn't available, a premade cable like the apex cable, snip off the RJ45 and wire to LBF-AP. :)

BeachBum2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies - I suppose both are possible. For simplest solution I would recommend using the LBF-AP. Some 0-10v device vendors have pigtail cables, that have their interface specific connector and bare wires for the "controller" side. If that isn't available, a premade cable like the apex cable, snip off the RJ45 and wire to LBF-AP. :)
I completely understand that. I'm looking at controlling a RO VarioS pump. It would be very simple for anyone to purchase the Icecap Y Module Cable, snip off the RJ45 and wire it right up to the LBF-AP. It is a pretty straight forward process.

On the other hand. I have access to a full electronics shop and it would be quite easy for me to make a Y cable with a RJ12 plug and dual 3.5mm plugs(For dual pumps down the road), but only if I knew what the pin outs were. That was the reason that I was asking. It is a more difficult process than modifying/using existing equipment, but would be kind of fun(and nearly free) for me to make my own cables.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, to be clear, to control a Gyre pump with the ProfiLux I would need to get an Ice Cap controller as well, to act as an interface?

I currently have a pair of Gyres running through the Gyre controller. There's no way of connecting the pumps directly to the ProfiLux (ie through an LBF-AP) or connect the Gyre controller the same way the ice cap is connected in the video?

Cheers, Tony

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, to be clear, to control a Gyre pump with the ProfiLux I would need to get an Ice Cap controller as well, to act as an interface?

I currently have a pair of Gyres running through the Gyre controller. There's no way of connecting the pumps directly to the ProfiLux (ie through an LBF-AP) or connect the Gyre controller the same way the ice cap is connected in the video?

Cheers, Tony

You have to have an ice cap for each gyre.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know how to determine pinouts and make your own cable, that is possible, but you still need 1 ice cap for each gyre you wish to run.

OP
OP
Support@GHLUSA

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers, Tony
The IceCap controller is required for {ANY} external control, regardless of controller. The control module that ships with the Gyre has no inputs, the IceCap module replaces the control module that shipped with it.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IceCap controller is required for {ANY} external control, regardless of controller. The control module that ships with the Gyre has no inputs, the IceCap module replaces the control module that shipped with it.

Thanks very much Marco. And as you emphasize {:)} you need an IceCap per Gyre for the Apex as well.

So understanding that this is not a Profilux "issue" can you explain why the intermediate controller is needed?

I thought that, mechanically, these circulation pumps were fairly straightforward, so why isn't is just a case of delivering power (in the right amounts) directly to them, which presumably any third party controller could do?

Again, just asking because I figured you might know, not because you need to explain something that is a problem with the ProfiLux.

Thanks, Tony

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxspects own controller is the only one that doesn't need the ice cap interface. We need some way to get the low voltage signal from (ANY) controller to the gyre. The best option that I'm aware of is the ice cap. The problem is many of us buy the maxspect controller with the gyre from the start and that doesn't allow for direct connection to 3rd party controllers. If I was starting from scratch and had my profilux, I would buy the gyre pump(s) without a maxspect controller and then buy the ice caps. Price wise that would be very close to maxspects new controller.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the Icecap Y module cable can be used/modified along with the LBF-AP in order to control the VarioS pumps on the Profilux. Does anyone know what cable might be needed/modified to control things like the Reefbrite XHO's and/or Reefbrite dimmable ballasts with the Profilux?

OP
OP
Support@GHLUSA

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tony -
I had a Gyre about a year or so ago, and the controller the Gyre shipped with did not have an input for external control.
The IceCap module replaced the Control module(sith programming dial, etc) it shipped with, and had the input port to use the 0-10v signal voltage from the Aquarium Controller, to convert the power adapters power to adjust the speed of the pump.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxspects own controller is the only one that doesn't need the ice cap interface. We need some way to get the low voltage signal from (ANY) controller to the gyre. The best option that I'm aware of is the ice cap. The problem is many of us buy the maxspect controller with the gyre from the start and that doesn't allow for direct connection to 3rd party controllers. If I was starting from scratch and had my profilux, I would buy the gyre pump(s) without a maxspect controller and then buy the ice caps. Price wise that would be very close to maxspects new controller.
Thanks, I suppose I was just thinking that if the actual guts of the pump is just an electric motor that responds to 1-10 volts by spinning, then modifying the control cable coming out of the unit itself just as we have to modify the cable connecting to the controller, then we should be able to make it run.

As you can likely see, this is not coming from any knowledge of how these things actually work...

Tony

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tony -
I had a Gyre about a year or so ago, and the controller the Gyre shipped with did not have an input for external control.
The IceCap module replaced the Control module(sith programming dial, etc) it shipped with, and had the input port to use the 0-10v signal voltage from the Aquarium Controller, to convert the power adapters power to adjust the speed of the pump.
Right, thanks. I was just wondering if there wasn't a way to bypass that. But I suppose I forgot that the Gyre controller (Maxspect or IceCap) is also the power adapter?

One other problem might be that, at the moment at least, the IceCap Controller for the Gyre 250 is out of stock at Coralvue and BRS. Hopefully not discontinued as a result of the new IceCap 3K Gyre that they released.

Cheers, Tony

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the Icecap Y module cable can be used/modified along with the LBF-AP in order to control the VarioS pumps on the Profilux. Does anyone know what cable might be needed/modified to control things like the Reefbrite XHO's and/or Reefbrite dimmable ballasts with the Profilux?

Anyone?

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looked it up and apparently the reefbrite dimmable ballast has a rj45 cable with it that connects to an apex. The profilux ports are rj12, so you would use the same LBF-AP to connect to the profilux. Or you could cut off the rj45 connector and put on a rj12 connector, but you need to know the pinouts and put the wires in the correct pins. That's why ghl offers the LBF-AP to make it easy for everyone and different types of cables.

Mistahbrock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the LBF-AP box from ghl and hooked it up to my jebao to apex adapter
it works like a charm, all you need to do is figure out the pinout for the apex end :)

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely understand that. I'm looking at controlling a RO VarioS pump. It would be very simple for anyone to purchase the Icecap Y Module Cable, snip off the RJ45 and wire it right up to the LBF-AP. It is a pretty straight forward process.

On the other hand. I have access to a full electronics shop and it would be quite easy for me to make a Y cable with a RJ12 plug and dual 3.5mm plugs(For dual pumps down the road), but only if I knew what the pin outs were. That was the reason that I was asking. It is a more difficult process than modifying/using existing equipment, but would be kind of fun(and nearly free) for me to make my own cables.
Did you ever go about doing this? Can I use two pumps to one breakout box?

Back