Howto: 0-10v Control Return Pump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

mlandscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just about to try to connect my Reef Octopus Return Pump to the GHL Breakout Box and the only 0-10v cable I could get here in the UK was wired on an RJ45 connection for a Neptune Apex. I have cut off the connector as advised by @Vinny@GHLUSA elsewhere and I am now faced with two pairs of cables one set connected to each jack plug which connects to the Pump. One set of wires is blue and white and the other red and blue. See attached photo. Only the white and blue seemed to be connected to the RJ45 connector for the Neptune Apex with the red and blue just left not connected to the RJ45. I believe I only need one pair for connecting to the breakout box but which pair red and blue or blue and white and then which colour to which terminal in the breakout box. Hope someone can understand that and help me out here. I don't want to fry either the Profilux or the Reef Octopus pump.

Many thanks

IMG_1597.jpeg

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please show the other end? Normally red is plus and blue - (or GND) If it is not only white and blue that was connected to the RJ 45 - I guess (GUESS) that white is plus and blue is - (GND)

However - I found the wiring diagram for VarioS. You can measure up which colours you should use and for what + or - (GND)

runtime 035.PNG

Sincerely Lasse

mlandscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @Lassie for your prompt reply. Really appreciated. Here are both ends of the cable together and a close up of the RJ45 I cut off where you can just see the cables.
Not sure I understand your last point.

IMG_1596.jpeg

IMG_1600.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just about to try to connect my Reef Octopus Return Pump to the GHL Breakout Box and the only 0-10v cable I could get here in the UK was wired on an RJ45 connection for a Neptune Apex. I have cut off the connector as advised by @Vinny@GHLUSA elsewhere and I am now faced with two pairs of cables one set connected to each jack plug which connects to the Pump. One set of wires is blue and white and the other red and blue. See attached photo. Only the white and blue seemed to be connected to the RJ45 connector for the Neptune Apex with the red and blue just left not connected to the RJ45. I believe I only need one pair for connecting to the breakout box but which pair red and blue or blue and white and then which colour to which terminal in the breakout box. Hope someone can understand that and help me out here. I don't want to fry either the Profilux or the Reef Octopus pump.

Many thanks

IMG_1597.jpeg
If this is the "Y" connector with a single RJ45 plug designed for two pumps the I agree with lass. One pin connector will use red + and Blue -, the other will use white + and Blue -

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @Lassie for your prompt reply. Really appreciated. Here are both ends of the cable together and a close up of the RJ45 I cut off where you can just see the cables.
Not sure I understand your last point.

IMG_1596.jpeg

IMG_1600.jpeg
That is a little different than the connector I received. You need to conned the white to the input labeled 0-10V and the Green into the one labeled GND

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 thanks for your comments - does this confirm your thinking? This is how it was received. Bought off eBay.

IMG_1601.jpeg
Yup, its a slightly different style than mine, but the pair with the red isn't used. If you need to use the 2nd connection, it's white will go to the second 0-10V connection with the white connected to the GND pin.

mlandscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @Brew12 and @Lasse for your further help. Good to get a consensus agreement on this which gives me some confidence that I won't fry anything.

So just to be totally clear on of the one cables I will connect white to connection 2 1-10v (L Port) and the blue to connection 3 GND(L Port) and that when the jack plug is connected to the return pump it will give me the 1-10v control? It is blue @Lasse even though it is difficult to see properly.

@Brew12 On the second cable you have mentioned white twice won't it be blue and red and if so which connects to which connection.

I presume the wires not used in both cases can just be taped up?

Also although I will be only using one cable to start with I presume I could connect the second cable to the breakout box and just leave the jack plug not connected to anything?

Thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @Brew12 and @Lasse for your further help. Good to get a consensus agreement on this which gives me some confidence that I won't fry anything.

So just to be totally clear on of the one cables I will connect white to connection 2 1-10v (L Port) and the blue to connection 3 GND(L Port) and that when the jack plug is connected to the return pump it will give me the 1-10v control? It is blue @Lasse even though it is difficult to see properly.

@Brew12 On the second cable you have mentioned white twice won't it be blue and red and if so which connects to which connection.

I presume the wires not used in both cases can just be taped up?

Also although I will be only using one cable to start with I presume I could connect the second cable to the breakout box and just leave the jack plug not connected to anything?

Thanks
Only 2 wires connect to each pump controller end, so the red and white pair shouldn't do anything. I would tape those up. I wouldn't wire in the second pin connector until you intend to use it. No point in risking it shorting something out, imo.
If you do wire in both pin connectors it would be

2- white
3- blue
5- white
3- blue

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the audio plug - the top is plus and the connection nearest the isolation is minus. Just take an Ohm meter and measure it out. You get the colour for + and the colour for minus (GND) - just conect them at plus resp minus (GND) in the breakout box

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 Sorry, I am getting confused here. I do not have a red and white cable only red and blue
Ugh.. I need to pay more attention... I use red/white pairs at work all the time. You will not need the red/blue cable. Only the white/blue cable pair.

mlandscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 right OK thanks. So to recap the white goes to terminal 2 and blue to terminal 3 and the red and blue are not used and can be taped up.
If in due course I wanted to connect the other cable(say to an RO Skimmer) do I just connect the second set of white and blue to terminal 5 and 3 respectively ie two wires will be connected to terminal 3. This will leave L-Port/S-Port A fully utilised and L-Port/S-Port B spare for other uses?

Thanks

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 right OK thanks. So to recap the white goes to terminal 2 and blue to terminal 3 and the red and blue are not used and can be taped up.
If in due course I wanted to connect the other cable(say to an RO Skimmer) do I just connect the second set of white and blue to terminal 5 and 3 respectively ie two wires will be connected to terminal 3. This will leave L-Port/S-Port A fully utilised and L-Port/S-Port B spare for other uses?

Thanks
You got it :D

Sincerely Lasse

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Lasse and @Brew12 for helping out.

@mlandscape
Once you've identified which cable is which, you can see how it is connected to the breakout box by watching this video:

mlandscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @Vinny@GHLUSA I had seen that before but forgotten about it. Hopefully not confused me by connecting his blue wire to terminal 2. Any better explanation videos on setting up the 1-10v Stream. Bit short and sweet in this video

Back