HURRICANE IDA anyone's tank directly affected? power outages? damage?

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very very bad. Pretty much the entire southeast part of the state does not have power, over a million customers. The entire grid was destroyed beyond what you can imagine. It will be weeks for most and even months for others before power is back. I imagine you will start to see more damage videos today as we are finally getting spotty cell service back. We had no service yesterday and no way to communicate.

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We appreciate it.

This is a screenshot from our energy companies outage map as of right now. It does not include the area north of New Orleans covered by another company. All of the New Orleans metro area(Kenner, Metairie, etc) is completely down because the main electrical tower feeding the area collapsed into the river and all eight of the major transmission lines are down also.

entergy.png

lsamuel1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Baton Rouge and am very fortunate to have power restored yesterday. Was running my tank on a small generator that also supplied power to my fridge and a few box fans. It was two days and the outside temperature was creeping into the 90’s. But I’m happy to report that all livestock survived and is really doing well!

Attachments

• E3FE6017-8FFE-4CD7-9F10-501219BE888F.jpeg
    E3FE6017-8FFE-4CD7-9F10-501219BE888F.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2315.MOV
    30.6 MB

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone knows club members or presidents down in NOLA area please reach out to me. I was able to get a hefty amount of frag donations for Texas during their outage last winter from members in our local club in Central Va. Nola is a second home to me; my little sister lived there for a few years, older sister is a teacher at Bonnabel High and I visit frequently. Otherwise I will likely do a donation match for frag sale type thing for her small in-school food panty.

For anyone giving up hope: Get your live stock into smaller containers and buckets. Much easier to heat and oxygenate then a full system! Transport them if needed to a hotel or friends house. Its a easy time to leave the hobby but if you want to continue despite large losses there are people that can help!

lsamuel1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a fantastic offer. I know of so many who have lost it all and many are very conflicted about starting over.
You should contact Jonathan at Knockout Corals/Coral Connection at 504-467-4566. There is a coral show scheduled for October 9 in New Orleans, and that would be a great opportunity.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a fantastic offer. I know of so many who have lost it all and many are very conflicted about starting over.
You should contact Jonathan at Knockout Corals/Coral Connection at 504-467-4566. There is a coral show scheduled for October 9 in New Orleans, and that would be a great opportunity.
Looks like they are based out of Kenner which is the city my sister teaches in. Might be an opportunity here. I have been struggling with the idea of doing a raffle locally and donating the profits to my sisters charity or sending frags like I did for Texas. The problem is that I know deep down that people are struggling with the loss of their houses, food, cars ect so just sending corals doesn't help the general population but its possible Jonathan would be willing to do the raffle or sending the profits to the school or something. I will need to sleep on it. Heart is breaking for yall. I know its relatively early in the process of healing as most can't return for several weeks until power returns.

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest issue right now is no gas for generators. Very few gas stations have power and even less have gas. Occasionally you will see one with gas and has a line of 100s of cars. Most reefers have a generator setup but they can't find gas. Hopefully they will get more of the power grid back on line soon, but the infrastructure of it is completely destroyed unlike any hurricane has done before.

The clubs we have down here are:
Louisiana Reef Club

Bayou Reefkeeping- mostly on Facebook at this point.

Thanks for your continued care and support, it means a lot.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone knows club members or presidents down in NOLA area please reach out to me. I was able to get a hefty amount of frag donations for Texas during their outage last winter from members in our local club in Central Va. Nola is a second home to me; my little sister lived there for a few years, older sister is a teacher at Bonnabel High and I visit frequently. Otherwise I will likely do a donation match for frag sale type thing for her small in-school food panty.

For anyone giving up hope: Get your live stock into smaller containers and buckets. Much easier to heat and oxygenate then a full system! Transport them if needed to a hotel or friends house. Its a easy time to leave the hobby but if you want to continue despite large losses there are people that can help!
When you get the list going and start soliciting donations, put me on it. I'd love to help in any way possible.

R2R is my club!

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live east of Baton Rouge and have been without power since Sunday, getting gas for generator is difficult. Took me 6 hours yesterday and all I got was 15 gallons I hope they restore power soon.

kennyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very very bad. Pretty much the entire southeast part of the state does not have power, over a million customers. The entire grid was destroyed beyond what you can imagine. It will be weeks for most and even months for others before power is back. I imagine you will start to see more damage videos today as we are finally getting spotty cell service back. We had no service yesterday and no way to communicate.
Oh this is sad. It happen to me during Maria in Puerto Rico and not only lost my tank but had to move and leave my house back there. All because the month and month of no power

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My block had a line of manholes explode and an electrical fire that followed, it was pretty crazy! My lights went in/out for a good 30 mins, but thankfully no affects on the tank. Buildings across the street completely lost power for the evening, however.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
R2R was founded on the simple premise to develop a warm, friendly, suitable place to gather and discuss this hobby for people of all ages, backgrounds, and experience levels. The “Be Nice” policy is something we take very seriously.

This is a very challenging time for many who have been affected by the storm or have loved ones who have been affected by the storm (and in many cases are still being affected and will be for some time). There is a time and a place to talk about storm preparations or government regulations - this is not it. Please be sensitive and supportive to those who are in difficult and challenging situations.

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who dealt with Irma a few years ago, I can totally relate to the situation everyone is going through with Ida (these ‘I’ names aren’t playing around). We lost power for over a week, trees fell through roofs down our entire block but thankfully we didn’t have the amount of rain that Ida had dropped. The biggest thing we dealt with was the excruciating heat that followed for that week with no power. We slept in our vehicles and used a battery powered box fan to keep ourselves cool during the days. I recently started in this saltwater hobby but I couldn’t imagine dealing with keeping my tank running during those times. Many prayers for everyone effected by Ida.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost power here in Hunterdon County NJ last night around 10 p.m. Worst part is I am the only one on my road without power. For some reason the transformer out on our pole keeps popping the fuse whever we get hit with a storm. Each time it pops the guys come out and take a long pole and just push it back into its socket. Takes 30 seconds at best. Problem is I am sure I am at the bottom of the list a far as urgency because of all the other millions without power. Fortunately I have a whole house buzz box along with 2- 220 gallon propane tanks that are full plus a stand alone coleman generator. Already on the delivery list for propane next Tuesday.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back