Hybrid TTM to treat all parasites!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup- all good for the species on my list. I updated my thread. It’s looking like I’ll try the dragonets once my pod population is replenished. I don’t want to have to spend $200 on bottled pods by doing it before my culture is back up.

However, next I’ll be doing a Midas, starry and a mccoskers flasher wrasse. I’m prepping my area next week- I reconfigured away from a TTM strategy due to the copper protocol, but I’m switching back. Need to pick up another 10g and a 5g

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup- all good for the species on my list. I updated my thread. It’s looking like I’ll try the dragonets once my pod population is replenished. I don’t want to have to spend $200 on bottled pods by doing it before my culture is back up.

However, next I’ll be doing a Midas, starry and a mccoskers flasher wrasse. I’m prepping my area next week- I reconfigured away from a TTM strategy due to the copper protocol, but I’m switching back. Need to pick up another 10g and a 5g
Awesome! I will visit your thread! As usual! :)

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can it be assumed that purchased pod water is disease free or should the pods be screened out and added without the water?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can it be assumed that purchased pod water is disease free or should the pods be screened out and added without the water?
It doesn’t really matter either way. If there are parasites present there could be free swimmers in the water as well as tomonts attached to the pods themselves.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the best way to use live food but not infect a tank. Breed the pods yourself to be absolutely certain?
Basically, yes

Plan ahead and grow out two containers of pods in a 5 gallon with phyto. Go 76 days, Life cycle is 30 days so you should see a big population explosion at 6 weeks, then you can partially harvest and start dosing QT with pods after the 76 days

I've done this but other people will tell you it's too extreme. I 76 day qt anything hard that's wet.

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically, yes

Plan ahead and grow out two containers of pods in a 5 gallon with phyto. Go 76 days, Life cycle is 30 days so you should see a big population explosion at 6 weeks, then you can partially harvest and start dosing QT with pods after the 76 days

I've done this but other people will tell you it's too extreme. I 76 day qt anything hard that's wet.

Any specific species of pod you grow. Some for sale are multi species while other are single. If you grow out the multi species does one over take the other?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any specific species of pod you grow. Some for sale are multi species while other are single. If you grow out the multi species does one over take the other?
Yes, one will

I culture 5 gallons of each of tigriopus californicus and apocalypse. Separate containers

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, at this point- I've done them htbrid TTM on a Midas Blenny and have had her in a 20long observation for 15 days.

Good body tone, swimming well, eating great. A little shy. Poops are normal, no visible anything on her.

Planning to move to display today/tomorrow. Is she's good to go?

Thoughts?

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding my experience on this and also have a question-

After my outbreak of ich or velvet ( was not able to confirm) in my display over the summer I left my display fallow 80 days and kept survivors in a QT after 2 weeks of copper and 2 rounds of general cure. I also had a Black Molly in with them during the 2 months observation time. I am absolutely paranoid so prior to bringing them back into the display I put them through the hybrid TTM:

2 Clowns
2 Firefish
1 Midas Blenny

All look good and are on day 11- No issues with the H2O2 treatment. I plan on putting them into the display after day 12.

I did the same with some wrasses-
Red Fin Fairy
Diamond Tail Flasher
Melanurus
Yellow Coris
Flame

All tolerated H2O2 well with the exception of the Red Fin and Diamond Tail Flasher which looked very stressed and curled up with heavy breathing for a few hours afterwards. I had them in a separate system during the TTM from the other wrasses and added the H2O2 to their QT tank prior to a transfer. There was a significant amount of uneaten food which caused some bubbling and a marked increase in mucous visible on the fish during the H2O2.

The wrasses have all been in the display for 3 weeks at this point and doing well.

I have a Golden Assessor from Live Aquaria that I am currently putting through the Hybrid TTM. No issues thus far on day 8. Once complete I plan on observing for 2 weeks and perhaps add 2 rounds of General Cure during this observation period for good measure. Would this 2 week post hybrid TTM observation period be long enough to rule out Velvet?

Yes as you can tell I am paranoid and never want to go through Ich/Velvet again!

Thanks!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this 2 week post hybrid TTM observation period be long enough to rule out Velvet?

Should be; however I would use a couple of black mollies in observation just to be sure. Certain species (wrasses, clowns, dragonets, etc.) almost never show symptoms of velvet before succumbing.

Mr. GoodStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be; however I would use a couple of black mollies in observation just to be sure. Certain species (wrasses, clowns, dragonets, etc.) almost never show symptoms of velvet before succumbing.

Just out of curiosity, would doing the TTM every 48 hours for 10 days instead of 72 for 14 days be a bad idea? Would it be better or a waste? Still incorporating the H2O2 bath twice, 6 days apart of course.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, would doing the TTM every 48 hours for 10 days instead of 72 for 14 days be a bad idea? Would it be better or a waste? Still incorporating the H2O2 bath twice, 6 days apart of course.

I haven't tried it myself, but a colleague has used this TTM schedule to successfully clear Velvet on more than one occasion:

Day 1 - fish in tank
Day 2 - 1st transfer at 36 hours
Day 4 - 2nd transfer at 36 hours
Day 5 - 3rd transfer at 36 hours
Day 7 - 4th transfer at 36 hours
Day 10 - 5th transfer at 71 hours
Day 13 - 6th transfer at 71 hours

Of course the above will also eliminate Ich.

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound like a crazy question. I know copper and inverts don't mix. But could this be used on your motile inverts instead of putting them in a fallow QT for 76 days? Additionally, could this work on removing fish parasites (and other issues) from coral you have in QT?

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound like a crazy question. I know copper and inverts don't mix. But could this be used on your motile inverts instead of putting them in a fallow QT for 76 days? Additionally, could this work on removing fish parasites (and other issues) from coral you have in QT?

Solid question!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back