Hydros Owners: how happy are you long term?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t experienced the ‘brick’ while updating as mentioned above. It updates without a problem. I have a mesh Wi-Fi system, upload each, the x4 and XP8 one at a time before installing, one at a time, and it works fine. Thanks for the tip from @n2585722. The only time I had a problem with new updates … the controllers are between the tank and a wall, I have to pull the stand they’re on forward as the water acts as a wall. Since doing that no problems and they install quickly.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll admit I skipped most of this thread...

been pretty stocked about Hydros sine they came out but help off as I have been burnt with early adopting into a promising reef pi controller ( witch i belive was bought out by apex 6+ years later they came out with the water level sensor that i was going to get back in 2016/17)

anyway i digress...
IF one was going to get in the the Hydors where should one start?
seams like the Xp8/ X4 is the most logical option. but dang $650 and you would still need a heater controller.

question: is the Xp8 a stand alone controller? for some reason I find Hydros very confusing . maybe that a sigh its above my pay grade. haha
I forgot to mention that I use heaters that have their own thermostats built in but set them 3 degrees higher than the Hydros. I use the Hydros as primary control and the heater's built in thermostat as the backup. The XP8 also has power monitoring. I use two 50 watt heaters on separate XP8 outlets. The power range on each is set to 45 to 55 watts so if it gets out of that range I will get an alert. If one of the heaters were to turn off that would cause an alert to be sent for low wattage. So I do not use a separate controller, but my heaters are not high wattage heaters but are enough for my 42 gallon tank.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that I use heaters that have their own thermostats built in but set them 3 degrees higher than the Hydros. I use the Hydros as primary control and the heater's built in thermostat as the backup. The XP8 also has power monitoring. I use two 50 watt heaters on separate XP8 outlets. The power range on each is set to 45 to 55 watts so if it gets out of that range I will get an alert. If one of the heaters were to turn off that would cause an alert to be sent for low wattage. So I do not use a separate controller, but my heaters are not high wattage heaters but are enough for my 42 gallon tank.
thanks for all the info. i'll look into the XP8/x4 unit and see if its in my budget. sure would love to have a hydros or at the very lest "kick its tires"

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the info. i'll look into the XP8/x4 unit and see if its in my budget. sure would love to have a hydros or at the very lest "kick its tires"
You can always start with one of the starter kits and add other controllers as you go. The X2 and XS starter kits are $199.99. Neither of those will monitor pH. The X2 has two sense ports one of which the temp sensor is going to be connected. It also has 2 drive ports which can be used to power the Hydros ATO pump or dosing pump. Those kits come with the controller, power pack, temp sensor and 1 wifi power strip which has 4 controllable AC outputs and 4 USB outputs that are controlled as a set. That would get you in the door and let you use the app and get used to it. All you would need to do to expand is get another controller a command buss cable and two terminators. Then you could create a collective with the original controller and add the new one to the collective created once it is hooked up and firmware updated to match your original controller. The power packs that come in the starter kits cannot be used with the XP8, XD or wave engines but they have supplies with them and the power pack is no longer needed. The XP8, XD and wave engines can be used together with their supplies. It is only the power pack type that connects to a command buss port that cannot be used on a buss powered with another power source. You can use it but you would need to use a data only command buss cable between it and any other power source. By that time most have multiple controller with their own power source and it is not needed. I have powered 5 controllers with one power source so they have room for expansion.

Redemptioner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long term the product has been full of warranty claims on DOA devices.....

You are dealing with CV, need I say more, and nor shall you place any negative commentary or note any faults on any space owned by CV or be banned without further notice.

The UI is clunky as, and you can't have a continuous display of tank parameters nor can you do any basically logic other than and/or (but not both) just not even close to the basic functionality of Apex. They still be putting out X8's with tinned mains power supply cables being used in screw down terminals (Danger Will Robinson, Danger!).

If it wasn't for Focustronic range being so good I would not use it......

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a write up. Personally I have not had a problem with CV or the xp8 or x4. Updates easily, products work. When I had a question Hydros personnel were there to answer in a timely manner. I can’t be the only one that’s happy with Hydros! BTW I sold Apex and went with Hydros. Enough said here.

Redemptioner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a write up. Personally I have not had a problem with CV or the xp8 or x4. Updates easily, products work. When I had a question Hydros personnel were there to answer in a timely manner. I can’t be the only one that’s happy with Hydros! BTW I sold Apex and went with Hydros. Enough said here.
Lots of people are not happy if you have a little look, CV is certainly slow on customer service but super quick to ban, even in this forum I see a lot of censorship and plants. It by no means is a replacement for Apex unless you do the most basic monitoring rather than any real control. There is good reason there is a couple of non-cv support pages/groups.....

I guess when you come up to your tank you love having to reopen or refresh the app every time you want to monitor something, and I can only assume you never want to look at some details as a graph and some as an integer at the same time .....?

The product is basically Duplo blocks being sold as Meccano...

Last edited:

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You aren’t the only happy customer. Never had a problem and love Hydros. CV are good people putting out fine products!

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Long term the product has been full of warranty claims on DOA devices.....

You are dealing with CV, need I say more, and nor shall you place any negative commentary or note any faults on any space owned by CV or be banned without further notice.

The UI is clunky as, and you can't have a continuous display of tank parameters nor can you do any basically logic other than and/or (but not both) just not even close to the basic functionality of Apex. They still be putting out X8's with tinned mains power supply cables being used in screw down terminals (Danger Will Robinson, Danger!).

If it wasn't for Focustronic range being so good I would not use it......

Interested to understand more before I get too awfully deep into Hydros. What's the source of your data points around warranty and DOA devices? I personally have experienced a self-inflicted failure when I didn't adaquately glue a PVC elbow permitting it to burst and positively drench one of my controls but otherwise zero issues.

Why do you say the Apex logic is more powerful? In my experience the Apex logic evaluates top to bottom and acts upon the last true statement. It doesn't have the if (a or b) and (c or d) then do something logic I think you speak of and is highly susseptible to operator error if not sequenced properly. Hydros is limited to a single and/or evaluation per output but I find by using combiner type outputs I can stack multiple logical operations. Both could use improvement but I find I'm able to do multiple and/or operations with Hydros when necessary.

Last edited:

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It doesn't matter what brand there are always those who are happy and don't post or comment on social media platforms.

So very true. Not too many people go out of their way to rave about something working as they expected. However if not, scorched earth!!

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have to refresh my app…it’s always there. My information is always present whether at home or away. Works as intended.
I have no idea why they were slow on customer service with you, not my experience.

Redemptioner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to understand more before I get too awfully deep into Hydros. What's the source of your data points around warranty and DOA devices? I personally have experienced a self-inflicted failure when I didn't adaquately glue a PVC elbow permitting it to burst and positively drench one of my controls but otherwise zero issues.

Why do you say the Apex logic is more powerful? In my experience the Apex logic evaluates top to bottom and acts upon the last true statement. It doesn't have the if (a or b) and (c or d) then do something logic I think you speak of and is highly susseptible to operator error if not sequenced properly. Hydros is limited to a single and/or evaluation per output but I find by using combiner type outputs I can stack multiple logical operations.

Port failures on multiple devices (DOA's), rapid constant on/offs etc, not user related.

Why is Apex logic more powerful, well for a start you can do a whole bunch of things at one (IF/ELSE/AND/OR/NOT/NULL/</>/=/.....), yes it moves through the logic in one way (like most basic logic coding), but it allows nesting in the logic as well as time evens and a whole raft of data calls that the hydros can only dream about like calling on another existing logic script. Yes this complexity can bring errors to newbies but there is hardly much effort to learn this basic scripting (or just copy it from online).

And did I mention you can't have a continuous display of tank parameters.....?

Redemptioner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have to refresh my app…it’s always there. My information is always present whether at home or away. Works as intended.
I have no idea why they were slow on customer service with you, not my experience.
This is displaying but not updating, you got to hit that refresh button all the time :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

1681951765688.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re so in tune with Apex why are you complaining about Hydros, just stick with the Apex. Why would you need to see continuous display of parameters? Tap the app in Hydros and it’s right there,
Information at a tap beats looking at numbers.

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Port failures on multiple devices (DOA's), rapid constant on/offs etc, not auser related.

It still sounds like unsubstantiated claims from a disgruntled customer. Where's your data? It's ok if you're personally dis-satisfied. Just say so. Hydros isn't for everyone. Some people don't like it. Others are unlucky with hardware. But don't make broad generalizations about the company or quality and expect us all to accept as gospel becuase you say so. Give me something factual.

Why is Apex logic more powerful, well for a start you can do a whole bunch of things at one (IF/ELSE/AND/OR/NOT/NULL/</>/=/.....), yes it moves through the logic in one way (like most basic logic coding), but it allows nesting in the logic as well as time evens and a whole raft of data calls that the hydros can only dream about like calling on another existing logic script. Yes this complexity can bring errors to newbies but there is hardly much effort to learn this basic scripting (or just copy it from online).

I am very familiar with the IF/ELSE/AND/OR/NOT/NULL logic as I use it constantly in my day job but unless something has changed very recently Apex has no concept of AND/OR/ELSE nesting.

Last edited:

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bahhahaha, it is displaying but not updating, you got to hit that refresh button all the time :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

1681951765688.png

The timestamp on those parameter results is in the past? Is this the basis of your claim? You do realize all of those parameters are not monitored in real time like pH or temperature, right? The Alkatronic/Mastertronic measures, posts to the cloud, Hydros periodically polls via API, indicates UPDATING when doing so and then refreshes the parameter if there is a new value available from the cloud.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The timestamp on those parameter results is in the past? Is this the basis of your claim? You do realize all of those parameters are not monitored in real time like pH or temperature, right? The Alkatronic/Mastertronic measures, posts to the cloud, Hydros periodically polls via API, indicates UPDATING when doing so and then refreshes the parameter if there is a new value available from the cloud.
What’s funny is, even if the app showed data continuously without having to refresh, testing with those devices doesn’t happen continuously. You would only see new data with a new test, and those values don’t fluctuate enough to mean anything significant. So watching the app continuously for test results is pointless.

Redemptioner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nahh champ, don't be silly, the relevant item in the image was the refresh button that shows up and you have to click to get live stats and was not what was being discussed. The Focustronic products (multiple Mastertronics and Alkatronics) do their regular water test but not all test are done daily and they upload fast enough for their usage. I am talking about all the live parameters like pH, ORP, Temp, flow meters, power daw etc. The only reason for them in the image was to try to avoid the weeds claiming it was not hydros, and before anyone asks, yes that is the "add" button for wifi devices under the edge of the icon....

1681957199979.png

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back