Hydros Owners: how happy are you long term?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was attaching a 3rd party pump to it, that would be entirely understandable. However, the fact that you have to set it to "opposite wall" and "reversed" with a pump that was included with the WE is odd. Add to that the fact that I had to figure this out on my own looking at online forums should have been a harbinger of things to come.
I wonder how many people returned their WE and included gyre on the assumption that it was broken.

Another good point which I forgot to mention because I did believe mine wasn't working. I don't recall sending in a ticket but went back through their forum to understand a bit more how it worked. I am using a XF280 and a Icecap 4k gyre.

Flip the slider on the app and poof - water movement.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was attaching a 3rd party pump to it, that would be entirely understandable. However, the fact that you have to set it to "opposite wall" and "reversed" with a pump that was included with the WE is odd. Add to that the fact that I had to figure this out on my own looking at online forums should have been a harbinger of things to come.
I wonder how many people returned their WE and included gyre on the assumption that it was broken.

I turned all the alerts off when I first set this up. I was getting literal *dozens* of alerts every single day, almost exclusively about things I didn't need to be alerted to. I don't recall what they were, I just remember getting so sick of it I shut everything off.
But, regardless, tricking the hydros into letting you know a wifi power bar isn't working by setting an alert to go off if something it controls doesn't happen, IMO, is another workaround.

Considering the shear amount of workarounds* this controller has and how often they're pushing new firmware, you'd think these bugs would get ironed out a lot faster.

*user found and implemented workarounds, because we're very clearly involuntarily beta testing this hardware.
I do not use wifi power bars for things like ATO, AWC and dosing. The reason is if for some reason there is a wifi communication issue when one of those pumps are on it will remain on until communication is restored however long that takes. Even though it very rare for me to have a wifi issue I do not want to risk it. I use drive ports for all ATO, AWC and dosing situations. If it was alerts for wifi issues those need to be fixed if at all possible. Most all of my alerts are for internet issues since my internet is down multiple times in a day. I did turn off email notifications and only get push notifications for the alerts. The only alerts you cannot turn off individually is the ones for the controller not communicating to the cloud. Below is a list of my push notifications for almost a week. There are no alerts for any of the 5 wifi devices, but most are for controllers not checking into the cloud because the internet was down too long. Aquarium Control is the name of my collective so most of those are important alerts. In the first screenshot are the alerts when the fresh saltwater tank ran low and did not trigger the low float switch for some reason. Once I got the float issue fixed it automatically transferred the water in the mix tank to the fresh salt water tank. That triggered the mix low alert. The RODI was turned on and the mix tank was refilled with DI water.

2A07EDA6-2E4E-421A-91D3-0A7E47F1A4E1.png

96F04FB6-04E0-4CA6-9D98-93E55D1DBC32.png

ABFF8E6A-726C-4D1C-B4FB-0B8C80A7D750.png

0AA6717C-EA50-4C23-968B-4434E6CE611F.png

769AAA21-FA30-490D-BA0D-6672703C201E.png

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm getting ready to invest in my first controller.

I was going between the new A3 Apex, and Hydros. But the amount of wifi issues I see on here is ASTOUNDING. I can say I have a couple smart outlets set up now from Wyze, with simple action like If "return pump off" then "skimmer" off. I also have the skimmer turn on 15min after the return pump, simple things like that. I NEVER have wifi issues with these plugs. The only issue I had was when Wyze had a server go down.

I think reading through this thread sealed the deal for me.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was going between the new A3 Apex, and Hydros. But the amount of wifi issues I see on here is ASTOUNDING. I can say I have a couple smart outlets set up now from Wyze, with simple action like If "return pump off" then "skimmer" off. I also have the skimmer turn on 15min after the return pump, simple things like that. I NEVER have wifi issues with these plugs. The only issue I had was when Wyze had a server go down.

I just put a bunch of Wyze smart plugs in the trash. I moved everything to Hydros. I constantly had issues with them not following the schedule and If the internet is down they do nothing.
I used the Wyze plugs to do things I had on mechanical times at first. I grew very tired of them.
Where I live the power and internet are out frequently do to weather. A generator fixed the power issue but not the Wyze plugs.

There are smart plugs you can locally control and I would suggest using them if you go that route and not the Wyze plugs. There are some in a bag here I never installed. Hydros has run everything flawlessly since I moved them to it.
I have no issues with WIFI power strips and am using 4 of them.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a bunch of Wyze smart plugs in the trash. I moved everything to Hydros. I constantly had issues with them not following the schedule and If the internet is down they do nothing.
I used the Wyze plugs to do things I had on mechanical times at first. I grew very tired of them.
Where I live the power and internet are out frequently do to weather. A generator fixed the power issue but not the Wyze plugs.

There are smart plugs you can locally control and I would suggest using them if you go that route and not the Wyze plugs. There are some in a bag here I never installed. Hydros has run everything flawlessly since I moved them to it.
I have no issues with WIFI power strips and am using 4 of them.
Well I guess they are just like any other product. There are defective ones out there.

My concern with hydros is the wifi signal is good, all the products I have now work, I would hate to switch to hydros and then have issues connecting devices to it.

Internet outages here are very rare. Power outages once in a while. I will say, I don't have wyze plugs running any type of schedule so I can't say they're perfect. Mine are pretty much always on unless I do a broadcast feed for corals. So the plugs aren't turning on and off multiple times a day or anything.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Get one of the pro packs with the XP8. It does not have a wifi power strip, but the XP8 is a 8 AC outlet controller. The pro pack comes with a command buss cable and two terminators so you can connect the XP8 to the other controller in the pro pack ane create a collective. The pro pack comes with either an X4 or X3 for the other controller. I prefer the X4 for a first controller since it has more sense ports and also has two drive ports. The two controllers will act a one large controller. If you run out of a port then just get a controller with those ports and a command buss cable and add it to the collective.It will continue to work without wifi or internet. The only way to connect to it if you do not have wifi or internet is via bluetooth. For the app to work it needs internet but if you have it on a phone just turn off wifi and start the app. Then connect with bluetooth. In bluetooth mode all you can do is override output to off, auto or on. You can still see all the inputs and their state. I have 2 of the XP8's one in the garage and one at the tank. I also have 4 wifi power strips and a wifi fish feeder. Three of the power strips are just used for testing things now since I got the XP8's. The way the wifi strips work is they will not transition between on and off unless they get a command to do so from the controller. So if communication is lost they will stay in whatever state they are in when communication is lost unless there is a power outage then they come back up in off after the wifi strip reboots. That is why I use drive ports for things like ATO, AWC and dosing. You can run things like return pumps, skimmers and heaters that have a backup to turn them off without an issue. I would have a backup on all my heaters regardless though. I have them plugged into a XP8 now and stilo have a backup with the thermostat on the heater itself. I also have two heaters in two different outlets which are controlled separately.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess they are just like any other product. There are defective ones out there.

My concern with hydros is the wifi signal is good, all the products I have now work, I would hate to switch to hydros and then have issues connecting devices to it.

Internet outages here are very rare. Power outages once in a while. I will say, I don't have wyze plugs running any type of schedule so I can't say they're perfect. Mine are pretty much always on unless I do a broadcast feed for corals. So the plugs aren't turning on and off multiple times a day or anything.
I used mine to run 8 feet of MH/T5 lights so I used 5 Wyze plugs that operated daily as on/off timers for 12 lamps plus
the fans. They ran fine for long periods but then went wonky at times and didnt do anything until I reprogrammed them or repowered them. They also fell out of sync with each other. As you have no local control of them there is nothing you can do to make them work until the server issues are fixed on the back end. Maybe they are better now. I ended up not considering them reliable enough to run tank things.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is very rare for me to have issues with the wifi power strips and when I do a reboot of my router will fix them. The MESH type networks do not get along very well with Hydros but with them you can alway add a wired access point with a different name than your current wifi network. Also another issue is the 5ghz channel and the 2.4ghz channel cannot have the same name. If they are the sane see if you can change the name of one. If so I would change the 5ghz channel since there will more than likely be fewer devices you will have to reconnect to it. I added a space and 5ghz to the end of the name on my 5ghz channel. I also own my own router and it is separate from the cable modem. Some of the ones provided by the internet providers the wifi goes out if you loose internet. You do not want that to happen if you use wifi strips. You can safely use things that would not be a problem if they did not turn on or off at there given times. I ask myself if the wifi stops with it either on or off will it cause a major issue if yes it goes on a XP8 or drive port. if no then I use the wifi strips.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Avoid Hydros unless you like wifi connection issues where the company will just blame your setup instead of their equipment and software.

The XP8 doesn't fix this because it or the other control modules will lose connectivity as well. This is what happens when you don't allow hardwired connections for internet. I have the same gripe about the Apex Jr. They should have never removed the Ethernet port on that either.

I have my A3 Apex Pro in the exact same spot as my Hydros controller was and not a single wifi drop to date. I lost connection multiple times a day with Hydros. So their whole "line of sight" BS doesn't hold up. Which I also proved was incorrect when I setup a wifi bar in my storage room where my router is located. They were six feet apart and constant issues.

Save yourself the headache and grab the Apex.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid Hydros unless you like wifi connection issues where the company will just blame your setup instead of their equipment and software.

The XP8 doesn't fix this because it or the other control modules will lose connectivity as well. This is what happens when you don't allow hardwired connections for internet. I have the same gripe about the Apex Jr. They should have never removed the Ethernet port on that either.

I have my A3 Apex Pro in the exact same spot as my Hydros controller was and not a single wifi drop to date. I lost connection multiple times a day with Hydros. So their whole "line of sight" BS doesn't hold up. Which I also proved was incorrect when I setup a wifi bar in my storage room where my router is located. They were six feet apart and constant issues.

I have the same opinion toward Apex. I would make my own controller before I would use one of theirs. The one I would make would be connected via wifi and not hardwired. I even have CAT5 cables run from a distribution box in the garage to all the bedrooms, living room and the building in our back yard. One is used as a command buss cable for my Hydros now to go from the garage to the tank in one of the bedrooms. I have one form the living room to the box and then to another bedroom to connect an access point there. The rest are no longer used. I only have 4 hardwired connection points on my router and one is used for the access point. The three others go to 3 decided that do not have a wifi connection and only a wired connection. Luckly all of those are near the router in the living room. I have used wifi only with my tank controller since I set the tank up 7 years ago and have had no issues using wifi. The only issue I have is internet. I goes out several times a day. I can power down my router and my Hydros will continue to control everything at the tank but I use XP8's. I have disabled the wifi for well over an hour without any issues other than having to use bluetooth to check on the tank with a phone. My iPad does not have mobile on it and the app has to have internet to work. It does work on my phone with wifi turned off using mobile to connect. When the router was powered off the heaters, return pump, cooling fans, ATO, AWC and RODI control continued to work without any issues. All 9 of my controllers are in the same collective and continued to act like a single controller. I got my first one in November right after the Hydros was released. I have had no hardware failures. I have had no real wifi issues that a router reboot did not fix. I can go weeks without any. I do not have a MESH router. It is an ASUS RT-AC1200. My access point is a repurposed Linksys WRT-54g router. My access point has the same name and password as my router does so all my 2.4ghz devices can connect to either without causing any issues.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same opinion toward Apex. I would make my own controller before I would use one of theirs. The one I would make would be connected via wifi and not hardwired. I even have CAT5 cables run from a distribution box in the garage to all the bedrooms, living room and the building in our back yard. One is used as a command buss cable for my Hydros now to go from the garage to the tank in one of the bedrooms. I have one form the living room to the box and then to another bedroom to connect an access point there. The rest are no longer used. I only have 4 hardwired connection points on my router and one is used for the access point. The three others go to 3 decided that do not have a wifi connection and only a wired connection. Luckly all of those are near the router in the living room. I have used wifi only with my tank controller since I set the tank up 7 years ago and have had no issues using wifi. The only issue I have is internet. I goes out several times a day. I can power down my router and my Hydros will continue to control everything at the tank but I use XP8's. I have disabled the wifi for well over an hour without any issues other than having to use bluetooth to check on the tank with a phone. My iPad does not have mobile on it and the app has to have internet to work. It does work on my phone with wifi turned off using mobile to connect. When the router was powered off the heaters, return pump, cooling fans, ATO, AWC and RODI control continued to work without any issues. All 9 of my controllers are in the same collective and continued to act like a single controller. I got my first one in November right after the Hydros was released. I have had no hardware failures. I have had no real wifi issues that a router reboot did not fix. I can go weeks without any. I do not have a MESH router. It is an ASUS RT-AC1200. My access point is a repurposed Linksys WRT-54g router. My access point has the same name and password as my router does so all my 2.4ghz devices can connect to either without causing any issues.

I don't have mesh. I worked directly with Carlos and Connor to find my issues. Asked them which wifi point to buy since mine must be an issue. Hint: it wasn't the wifi or the wifi point.

I setup my wifi point on 2.4ghz only and it had direct line of sight. It was hardwired to my router and less than 20 feet from the Hydros. Still, issues galore and no help from CV except, "it's your wifi and router." Nobody could answer why 40+ other wifi devices have no such issue using 2.4 and 5ghz.

It's a moot point though for me. I ditched it all and would never entertain another Hydros product. Especially with how they (CV and fanclub) treat you when point out you're having issues.

Let's not even get into the 4 failed wifi bars and 2 failed XP8s. But I get it. I am the ONLY one who has had issues so I must be the problem. That message was loud and clear

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use wifi power bars for things like ATO, AWC and dosing.
You keep saying that, but not everyone can make that work. I bought this system, *specifically* for it's ability to control my AWC, which requires a wifi power bar (they didn't have a hard wired one at the time). Had they included a disclaimer that you shouldn't use their wifi power bars for these applications, I certainly wouldn't have bought it.

I use drive ports for all ATO, AWC and dosing situations
Again, not an option for everyone. My AWC fill pump and ATO are too far away and draw too much power for that to work. In order to even get the AWC working properly, I had to move my ATO from the (very reliable) Tunze system over the the Hydros. The little tiny Tunze pump draws a hair too much power so the Hydros wouldn't even try. I ended up having to use the drive port to control a relay and a relay to turn the ATO pump on and off.
Yet another workaround.

I can't tell, but I really hope you understand why this isn't acceptable.
It's a moot point though for me. I ditched it all and would never entertain another Hydros product.
That's where I'm headed. I wouldn't buy any more of their stuff since it, empirically, does not work properly. It really shows what they think of their customers when they release this garbage.

As soon as I can find a good replacement for the AWC, the hydros is in the garbage.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You keep saying that, but not everyone can make that work. I bought this system, *specifically* for it's ability to control my AWC, which requires a wifi power bar (they didn't have a hard wired one at the time). Had they included a disclaimer that you shouldn't use their wifi power bars for these applications, I certainly wouldn't have bought it.

Again, not an option for everyone. My AWC fill pump and ATO are too far away and draw too much power for that to work. In order to even get the AWC working properly, I had to move my ATO from the (very reliable) Tunze system over the the Hydros. The little tiny Tunze pump draws a hair too much power so the Hydros wouldn't even try. I ended up having to use the drive port to control a relay and a relay to turn the ATO pump on and off.
Yet another workaround.

That's where I'm headed. I wouldn't buy any more of their stuff since it, empirically, does not work properly. It really shows what they think of their customers when they release this garbage.

As soon as I can find a good replacement for the AWC, the hydros is in the garbage.
Can I have it? I will pay shipping.

HYD.jpg

Hydros has made my reefing life so much easier. I have had 2 or 3 issues and after going through appropriate channels they got fixed in a few hours.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mesh network and have no problem running Hydros. It is not hard wired either. I didn’t rename anything on the mesh network either. Just plugged it in.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mesh network and have no problem running Hydros. It is not hard wired either. I didn’t rename anything on the mesh network either. Just plugged it in.
Not all MESH networks will have an issue , but it more likely with those types of networks to have issues than the ones that are not MESH.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I definitely had issues with Spectrum routers, every time there was a power blip it would die. The mesh nighthawk comes back without issues.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you please add to your profile that you are the admin for the BRS Facebook group. That BRS/Aperture owns Neptune. Your views are biased and you need to stop posting unless you are going to announce who you are. I find it hard to believe that all your hydros **** broke and that the replacements broke like you claim.

I like Hydros and have never had issues, but I also have no vested interest. You on the other hand do, you work for the competitor. So when you give your opinions. State that.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet another workaround.

My tank is 35ft from my garage where my ATO and AWC pumps are at. So they have to push water up to my attic and across to the wall next to the tank. Then down inside the wall to a wall plate then from there to the sump. The drain pulls water from the tank to the pump in the garage using the same route. It hen has to push it back up to the attic and across to a wall with the kitchen sink. It then goes down inside that wall and out into the kitchen sink drain. All the pumps have a check valve on the output. I put one on the drain since it was using the kitchen sink drain. I did the fill to match. The ATO and All For Reef dosing pump use the same tubing to the tank so they also have the check valve. These are small Intllab dosing pumps. I was using these with my other controller before getting the Hydros. They are the fist thing I used the Hydros for and since they are 12v pumps I ditched the power packs and got a cable with the DC connecter for the pump from Mouser and added a GX12 2 pin connector to the other end. This was before Hydros even had a dosing pump to hook to the drive port. I also added two more X2's to my collective for 4 more drive ports. ai also use drive ports to control the solenoids for my RODI that is also in the garage. I believe the X2's are only $150 each and have 2 drive ports and 2 sense ports. At this time I have 18 sense ports in use and 10 drive ports in use. All 4 0-10v input ports and all 4 0-10v output ports on an X4 in use. I do have a WEv2 that the 0-10v inputs and 0-10v outputs are not currently used but I have plans for some of them. I was using 4 wifi strips but since ai now have 8 wired outlets at the tank and 8 in the garage only one has anything currently plugged into it and that is my wife's globes and light houses in the living room. One is in the kitchen where I do maintenance on the dosing pump. I use a 12v power pack and an outlet setup as a simple dosing pump to test it and also set the flow rates on the Intllab pumps. all 4 are still paired with the Hydros system and I have some of the outlet used with outputs gut there is nothing plugged into the outlets. Below is a photo of my pump shelves and pumps along with the solenoids for my RODI. The Hydros automatically refills my DI storage tank and my mix tank. I do have one Hydros dosing pump now and it is my ATO pump. The AWC pump in the photo is a modified Intllab dosing pump with two heads. Also there is a photo of the wall plate for the tubing at the tank.

832B63B4-A875-403C-A042-7D391D018597.jpeg

CBA78BD7-EDE8-4F51-9E41-F47A85985BB5.jpeg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back