I BEAT DINOS.

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling dinos since mid February. Numerous black outs, hydrogen peroxide, dosing bacteria, dirty method, you name it.

So I would like to share my method what worked for me. First of all I didn't identify with a microscope but used the dino ID page on the thread dinoflagellates are you tired of battling all together.

I was pretty convinced that I had prorocentrum, as it was reluctant to dissappear at night.

This in mind I decided to go for a 4 day black out and hooked a UV sterilizer up to my return pump, and set the flow rate at about 800lph. So my full tank volume went through this once an hour.

On the 4th day of the blackout at night ( so going into day 5) I turned the UV off and dosed microbacter 7.

A black out will bring the numbers down and help correct the issues.

So how did I beat them? Well I'm not sure but my theory is the uv and black out got them down to so little numbers that once the bacteria was added, they had no chance at competing.

I have ran my blues at 50% for a week with no return and continued to dose microbacter 7 each morning before turning the UV back on at night.

I really hope this can help someone battling dinos because I know how frustrating it can be. But stick with it and you'll get there. Once you know which specific strain of dino you have it makes it a lot easier.

15954334606341461892492513571875.jpg DSC_0521.JPG

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try this thank you as its been driving me crazy.

But it seems to me that this a short term fix, once they are gone and you have your lights back on, wouldn't they just reappear? Or do you intend on keeping up with daily dosing?

I am planning on getting sponges for my tank which is experiencing diatom issues, as I have seen a few vids which say they will outcompete the diatoms for silica and also other nutrients that other algae grows on. (Plus they are filter feeders so beneficial for the tank anyway.)

Does anyone know if this is an effective long term control and what would be the best type of sponges to do this role?

Scott

Last edited:

90G Mark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, this info will be helpful on my tour through the battle of Dinos

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try this thank you as its been driving me crazy.

But it seems to me that this a short term fix, once they are gone and you have your lights back on, wouldn't they just reappear? Or do you intend on keeping up with daily dosing?

I am planning on getting sponges for my tank which is experiencing diatom issues, as I have seen a few vids which say they will outcompete the diatoms for silica and also other nutrients that other algae grows on. (Plus they are filter feeders so beneficial for the tank anyway.)

Does anyone know if this is an effective long term control and what would be the best type of sponges to do this role?

Scott
Once the dino population is so low, the daily dose of bacteria for a week allows your good bacteria population to establish again.

Ever noticed the absence of nitrogen bubbles in the sand when an outbreak happens? Once you see these bubbles again you know the bacteria has a foothold and you're on the mend. Just my observation.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good job getting ahead of the top scourge in reefing, good job not easy to do.

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a similar approach for Amphidinium. After months of dosing nutrients, feeding a lot, siphoning sand out in a 5nm sock, high temp treatment etc, I started dosing silicates (1-2 ppm/day). After a couple of weeks it started to grow much slower on the sand. Then I decided to clear all the dinos I could see from the sand and the rocks, and proceeded with a 3days blackout.
After 2 weeks the sand is still clear, no dinos for now. I am still dosing silicates but only 0.2 ppm/day, and I will keep dosing that unless I have issues.
I think what worked was creating competition for dinos and then with the blackout you basically "reset the game", giving to other organisms (diatoms and pods) an advantage.

fishboy1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria bottle do I need the same as you or will mine be ok. Fluval Biological Enhancer and Fritz Zyme 460 Saltwater Aquarium cleaner.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back