I can use some lighting help!

Keith Russell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon reef that's 4ft long. I have a Chinese black box that's 165 watts. The black box is about 5 inches above the surface of the water. I have the black box whites 40% and the blues 100%. The problem is the par 7 inches below the surface in the middle is over 500. I rented a Par Meter so I know these numbers are pretty close. Splitting the tank up in 9 quadrants, the middle three were 545 in the middle top, 390 in the middle middle and 125 in the middle bottom. The drop in the left and right quadrants was interesting. They dropped to 79 in the left top on each side to 45 in the middle left and right then to 20 at the bottom.

Because the sides were so low, I added a fluval 59 watt 48" led strip. I did this to be able to reach the sides. I know this is a novel I am writing but its the best way to word it. I have 2 orbit marine 18 watt lights I could replace the black box with or buy another Fluval marine strip. The question is would that give me enough light to grow SPS corals.

desktop-4.jpg

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you have enough light but selective placement is the key. Place SPS corals in PAR areas of around 200 to 400. Some acclimation may be necessary. What PAR meter did you use? Some corrections may be necessary.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back