I don't think something is right

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up this 75g tank and stand an am working on getting things ready to set up. However, I just had an odd realization. This center horizontal brace sits 24" high, however the rest of the lip the tank sits on is at 23.5" (see pic). The guy I bought it from said he doesn't remember any issues but wouldn't this cause the glass to snap from sitting uneven?

Are there supports missing from this stand?

iHkJF2O.jpg

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the tank fit into the stand or sit on the lip? MY old pine stand it sat on the lip and the center brace just kept it from bowing out

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that center cross piece 1/2"? Simple answer is remove it but still doesnt seem like much support for the tank.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up this 75g tank and stand an am working on getting things ready to set up. However, I just had an odd realization. This center horizontal brace sits 24" high, however the rest of the lip the tank sits on is at 23.5" (see pic). The guy I bought it from said he doesn't remember any issues but wouldn't this cause the glass to snap from sitting uneven?

Are there supports missing from this stand?
I don't know if your missing supports but I'd make it right, so that the tank has even support and I'd be concerned about it too.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the tank fit into the stand or sit on the lip? MY old pine stand it sat on the lip and the center brace just kept it from bowing out

Doesnt seem like there would be any support that way (especially on the back of the stand).

CamG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that the tank sits on the lip as ncaldwell mentioned.
If the tank sat down on that brace you wouldn't see the bottom 4" of the tank.
That being said, I would prefer to have a top put on it

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing looks pretty flimsy. Not sure I would want 700-800 pounds sitting on it (tank, water & rock weight). Since it isn't set up yet, why not take the opportunity to build a better stand. Just my 2¢.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that the tank sits on the lip as ncaldwell mentioned.
If the tank sat down on that brace you wouldn't see the bottom 4" of the tank.
That being said, I would prefer to have a top put on it

So I went out to the garage to measure and yup you and @ncaldwell are right. It sits on the upper edge. My last stand had a trim piece that the tank sat "inside" of to hide the plastic trim of the tank, if that makes sense. I assumed this one was the same way LOL.

Thanks guys...

That thing looks pretty flimsy. Not sure I would want 700-800 pounds sitting on it (tank, water & rock weight). Since it isn't set up yet, why not take the opportunity to build a better stand. Just my 2¢.

My craftsmanship will result in something much less safe, trust me...

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1... :)

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume it is safe or they wouldn't sell so many of those pine stands but with it sitting on the lip like that I felt I couldn't trust it. To scary so I replaced it for piece of mind

jamiec266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probs a stupid question bit is the stand up the right why?? Cant see why the bottoms got board but where the tank sits doesmt

jamiec266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id really be paranoid filling the tank with water on that stand lol.

Karie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep.

You are definitely missing some supports. Looks like 1x4's. But it is such an easy fix. Go for it. But while you are at it, go ahead a shore up the stand. Add some additional supports and brackets. You may not need it, but you won't ever regret it.

You will do better with 2x4's rather than 1x4's anyway and it looks like you have the room for them. A 2x4 is actually 1.5"x3.5". So take the 1x4 out and add a few 2x4's cut to size and stand the 2x4 up on the small end so it is sitting on the 1 1/2" side and raising the tank up another 3 1/2". It will raise your tank up to a better viewing height and support the weight better. Using the support standing on the small end keeps the support from bowing with weight (similar to a floor joist). I would also add a piece of baltic birch to create a solid platform under the tank but that's just me. I tend to overbuild things.

I wish you luck.

(If I am wrong and you don't have the room for a 2x4, whoops!)

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
God I am paranoid as heck. I think I'm going to scrap this project lol. Even the guy I bought it from said he was always scared the stand was going to break. I'm going on a deployment soon and this is not the kind of thing to be fiddling with now lol.

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, this is how the upper frame sits. I feel like Aqueon/Marineland wouldn't sell tanks like this unless they were actually, you know... Weight tested. What do you guys think?

NtSOGkO.jpg

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, this is how the upper frame sits. I feel like Aqueon/Marineland wouldn't sell tanks like this unless they were actually, you know... Weight tested. What do you guys think?

NtSOGkO.jpg
I stand by my original post. That section of the rim isn't even touching that vertical brace, except at the bottom of that cut out. That thing may have been more structurally sound when it was new - but it is no longer new. Sorry, but you asked. :)

OP
OP
WhiskeyCoffee

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all who said not to use that stand. I just finished building my own stand and am WAY more confident about it. Plus I think it will look better when all is said and done. :)

uwB6NnQ.jpg

Back