I just lost $5,000 in aquatic life because I did something stupid

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really devastated.

I have been working on creating a sustainable ecosystem (indo/central pacific and heavily Hawaiian islands) with my saltwater tank. I want to breed a variety of specific hard to get species so that the aquarium trade doesn’t continue to have such devastating effects on the oceanic ecosystems. I also want to share and teach my appreciation of the ocean and it’s ecosystems with others. It’s one of my longest and biggest dreams.

It brings me back to my childhood when my dad lived on his sail boat in Oceanside, Southern California. He taught me a lot about the ocean and it’s life. I have always had a love and respect for the ocean and it’s ecosystem.

Hawaii and the indo-pacific have shut down all operations for a minimum of 3 years... great for the wild life! however that makes my dream of having my ecosystem and breeding sustainably REALLY a challenge. So I did what any panicked dreamer does with a credit card and the REALLY RARE opportunity to purchase all of the fish I had planned... ALL AT ONCE!

My tank could handle the bioload.

And it was.

Then Thursday happened. I knew better than to mess with cucumbers. (I got to help my clean up crew, thought it would be ok.) something bothered it. (Thinking it was my potters angel since he was all of a sudden pale and the only one that looked distressed.) it went into self defense mode and spit out its guts and released toxins. I thought I had caught it in time... but it set off a chain reaction. The puffers then puffed and released their toxins in defense on the other side of the tank. In 15 minutes. Even with heavy amounts of activated carbon already in place... I lost several thousands in aquatic life.

survivors :

* 5 green chomis,

* dwarf moray eel,

* yellow tang,

* 2 dragon faced pipefish,

Schrodinger’s listed:

* 1 golden eyed kole,

* 1 fire fish,

* cleaner wrasse,

* coco worm,

* Orange starfish,

* 3 saron shrimp,

* 1 fighting conch,

* peppermint shrimp,

* 5 zebra dwarf hermit crabs,

* all mushrooms,

* leather corals, hammer coral, duncans, zoas, +

* campfire and pink feather duster worms,

* humpback cowrie

* arrow crab

* 2 barnacles

* 2 mussels

* bubble snails

* micro jellyfish

* star polyps

* frogspawn coral

* 3 mini maxi anemones,

* copepods, amphipods, dwarf stars, tongan snails, nassarius snails, astraea snails, turbo snails, thin striped hermit crabs, macro algae, etc.

* other micro flora/fauna

Known casualties:

* gold neon gobies (mated pair with eggs)

* flame fairy wrasses (mated pair)

* 5 firefish

* 3 pink streaked wrasses

* 1 golden eyed kole

* pyramid butterfly fish

* court jester goby

* 2 long nosed butterfly fish

* pebbled Angel fish

* 2 potters Angel fish (male & female)

* fishers Angel fish

* 2 Hawaiian white spotted puffers

* white spotted dwarf goby

* 1 dragon faced pipefish

* blue striped pipefish

* 5 Vanderbuilt chromis,

* 2 fighting conches,

* 2 limpets

* 2 short spine urchins,

* 2 long spine urchins,

* 3 flame scallops,

* 12 sexy shrimp

* 6 saron shrimp

* 1 cucumber

* chocolate chip starfish,

On Thursday I spent a few hours staring at my fish that I had pulled out of the tank and into clean water with a heater and a bubbler hoping that they would snap out of it, breaking down and trying to give them fish “CPR” hoping that I would revive them... I am still in denial and shock.

Friday and Saturday I watched my vander’s die one by one and all of my mushrooms and coral melt like the wicked witch of the west...

It’s Sunday ... and I can’t catch a break. Even the life forms in the sand are jumping ship. It doesn’t look hopeful that I’ll have any survivors. Every time I do a water change the tank seems to get worse. My live sand is turning black right before my eyes.
And yes. I have been pumping extra oxygen into the tank for a few hours. I also got close to 50 lbs of live rock that I have just added to the tank. Never in all my life of keeping fish have I ever seen or have anything like this happen to such an extreme.

I am at a complete loss as how to move forward.

anyone know how I can salvage my tank?
AB04E248-F77C-4D98-842A-4E8866F83556.jpeg
13519DCA-1E03-4A19-8A51-643B54B358DD.jpeg
F785FA14-5A72-4F6E-95BB-4BD90EA8F67E.png
7841415D-928B-431C-9ABA-53B33D283FFC.jpeg
8BBD50B0-3C75-4022-A408-0B3F3F5316DE.jpeg
B14AB1CD-86C0-4B06-A589-8FAE9BACD2B9.jpeg
69C39A9E-2860-4F39-A249-9CC11EA4CEB2.jpeg
52F0210D-9D46-4735-8667-EE4D44739F7E.jpeg
D0D5FF7C-D114-4ED3-AFB6-C3CE4327A5AE.jpeg
B388A28A-BC90-46EC-8314-E7AC02B42C52.jpeg
B9303728-2762-4CDB-BFA5-C951763CEAB1.jpeg

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really devastated.

I have been working on creating a sustainable ecosystem (indo/central pacific and heavily Hawaiian islands) with my saltwater tank. I want to breed a variety of specific hard to get species so that the aquarium trade doesn’t continue to have such devastating effects on the oceanic ecosystems. I also want to share and teach my appreciation of the ocean and it’s ecosystems with others. It’s one of my longest and biggest dreams.

It brings me back to my childhood when my dad lived on his sail boat in Oceanside, Southern California. He taught me a lot about the ocean and it’s life. I have always had a love and respect for the ocean and it’s ecosystem.

Hawaii and the indo-pacific have shut down all operations for a minimum of 3 years... great for the wild life! however that makes my dream of having my ecosystem and breeding sustainably REALLY a challenge. So I did what any panicked dreamer does with a credit card and the REALLY RARE opportunity to purchase all of the fish I had planned... ALL AT ONCE!

And it was.

Then Thursday happened. I knew better than to mess with cucumbers. (I got to help my clean up crew, thought it would be ok.) something bothered it. (Thinking it was my potters angel since he was all of a sudden pale and the only one that looked distressed.) it went into self defense mode and spit out its guts and released toxins. I thought I had caught it in time... but it set off a chain reaction. The puffers then puffed and released their toxins in defense on the other side of the tank. In 15 minutes. Even with heavy amounts of activated carbon already in place... I lost several thousands in aquatic life.

survivors :

* 5 green chomis,

* dwarf moray eel,

* yellow tang,

Schrodinger’s listed:

* 1 golden eyed kole,

* 1 fire fish,

* cleaner wrasse,

* coco worm,

* Orange starfish,

* 3 saron shrimp,

* 1 fighting conch,

* peppermint shrimp,

* all mushrooms,

* humpback cowrie

* arrow crab

* 2 barnacles

* 2 mussels

* bubble snails

* micro jellyfish

* star polyps

* frogspawn coral

* 3 mini maxi anemones,

* copepods, amphipods, dwarf stars, tongan snails, nassarius snails, astraea snails, turbo snails, thin striped hermit crabs, macro algae, etc.

Known casualties:

* 5 firefish

* 1 golden eyed kole

* pyramid butterfly fish

* court jester goby

* pebbled Angel fish

* fishers Angel fish

* blue striped pipefish

* 5 Vanderbuilt chromis,

* 2 fighting conches,

* 2 limpets

* 2 short spine urchins,

* 2 long spine urchins,

* 3 flame scallops,

* 12 sexy shrimp

* 6 saron shrimp

* 1 cucumber

On Thursday I spent a few hours staring at my fish that I had pulled out of the tank and into clean water with a heater and a bubbler hoping that they would snap out of it, breaking down and trying to give them fish “CPR” hoping that I would revive them... I am still in denial and shock.

Friday and Saturday I watched my vander’s die one by one and all of my mushrooms and coral melt like the wicked witch of the west...

It’s Sunday ... and I can’t catch a break. Even the life forms in the sand are jumping ship. It doesn’t look hopeful that I’ll have any survivors. Every time I do a water change the tank seems to get worse. My live sand is turning black right before my eyes.
And yes. I have been pumping extra oxygen into the tank for a few hours. I also got close to 50 lbs of live rock that I have just added to the tank. Never in all my life of keeping fish have I ever seen or have anything like this happen to such an extreme.

I’m so sorry man... if it makes u feel better I’ve been there too... oof I hope u recover :(

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those just coral skeleton or did they die too? It seems to me, you tried instant gratification and lost. Sorry for your loss, but this hobby is slow and steady. Nothing ever really works when it's done instantly.

OP
OP
Lady of Babylon

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. Do you have another tank you can move survivors to? Do you have saltwater premixed you can do a massive water change with?
I had just finished cycling a 20 gallon that I was going to hook up to my larger system as a macro algae aqua scape. But when I moved everything over it started cycling again. So I had to move everything back to the big tank. Right now they are in a 5 gallon transit container with a heater, light, and bubbler. Also some macro algae until the tanks settle a bit.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.. never keep those sea hairs man. I had one once and i caught it before it released toxins.. when i put it in a container thrn it released it.

But i feel your pain.. i recently went through a bacterial infection that killed

4 chalices. 1 800-1000$ basketball sized green splatter bubble coral, three favias.. two were hand sized. Killed all ny toxic green trumpets. Half of my baby blue trumpets. My acans.. ect

And i managed to stop the infection with antibiotics. But in my haste to try different things.. i tried an herbal treatment from a brand i cant say.. and it killed 12 of my acroporas... So i lost 1200$ in acroporas.

All together i lost about 3000$ in corals. But the antibiotics did work and saved my remaining lps as the infection was killing only lps.. favias. Acans. Trumpets. Bubbles ect.

Stick with it man.. and keep going.. I know this doesnt help you but i got lucky.. the store owner this disease came from.. owned up and replaced 4 of my corals... and the place that made this herbal treatment gave me a check for my acroporas. I know you cant do what i got lucky from.. but i hope you dont quit thr hobby.. just learn from this

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those just coral skeleton or did they die too? It seems to me, you tried instant gratification and lost. Sorry for your loss, but this hobby is slow and steady. Nothing ever really works when it's done instantly.
Yes and no... I started ny first reef 4 years ago.. i used 1 gallon of fritzyme 9 to instant cycle ny tabk. And threw acroporas. Zoas and hanners in on the 2nd day.. using tap water.. a hob.. no sump or skimmer.. and 4 years later i still have all the same corals nothing died.

OP
OP
Lady of Babylon

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decorated with a lot of coral skeletons. It helps with territory’s, more areas to “claim.” I have been a keeper of many tanks over my lifetime. So I know it is a slow and beautiful hobby. It took me 6 months of building the Micro flora and fauna: copepods/Amphipods/phytoplankton/+ other odd “bugs” before I added my larger inverts. Then I added fish. I had 30 fish already in my tank when I bought the cucumber, and wrasses, puffers, and potters. They had all been in the tank for 72 hours with no issues. No issues with the frequent water changes while the bioload adjusted. (5 gallon water changes every few hours.) My tank was clear, and no one was showing any signs of stress.

OP
OP
Lady of Babylon

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.. never keep those sea hairs man. I had one once and i caught it before it released toxins.. when i put it in a container thrn it released it.

But i feel your pain.. i recently went through a bacterial infection that killed

4 chalices. 1 800-1000$ basketball sized green splatter bubble coral, three favias.. two were hand sized. Killed all ny toxic green trumpets. Half of my baby blue trumpets. My acans.. ect

And i managed to stop the infection with antibiotics. But in my haste to try different things.. i tried an herbal treatment from a brand i cant say.. and it killed 12 of my acroporas... So i lost 1200$ in acroporas.

All together i lost about 3000$ in corals. But the antibiotics did work and saved my remaining lps as the infection was killing only lps.. favias. Acans. Trumpets. Bubbles ect.

Stick with it man.. and keep going.. I know this doesnt help you but i got lucky.. the store owner this disease came from.. owned up and replaced 4 of my corals... and the place that made this herbal treatment gave me a check for my acroporas. I know you cant do what i got lucky from.. but i hope you dont quit thr hobby.. just learn from this
Yup, and learn I did. No cucumbers. Especially with nippy fish. I am not one to give up on the hobby, even though my husband really doesn’t like fish tanks.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really devastated.

And it was.

survivors :

* 5 green chomis,

* dwarf moray eel,

* yellow tang,

Schrodinger’s listed:

* 1 golden eyed kole,

* 1 fire fish,

* cleaner wrasse,

* coco worm,

* Orange starfish,

* 3 saron shrimp,

* 1 fighting conch,

* peppermint shrimp,

* all mushrooms,

* humpback cowrie

* arrow crab

* 2 barnacles

* 2 mussels

* bubble snails

* micro jellyfish

* star polyps

* frogspawn coral

* 3 mini maxi anemones,

Known casualties:

* 5 firefish

* 1 golden eyed kole

* pyramid butterfly fish

* court jester goby

* pebbled Angel fish

* fishers Angel fish

* blue striped pipefish

* 5 Vanderbuilt chromis,

* 2 fighting conches,

* 2 limpets

* 2 short spine urchins,

* 2 long spine urchins,

* 3 flame scallops,

* 12 sexy shrimp

* 6 saron shrimp

* 1 cucumber

Felt your emotion. I felt everything you felt in taking the time to write that. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss.

If I may offer one piece of advice, and that is to NOT GIVE UP on your dreams. It WILL HAPPEN. Please one day believe in yourself that it can and that it will.

Rob

OP
OP
Lady of Babylon

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Felt your emotion. I felt everything you felt in taking the time to write that. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss.

If I may offer one piece of advice, and that is to NOT GIVE UP on your dreams. It WILL HAPPEN. Please one day believe in yourself that it can and that it will.

Rob
What is this “give-up” you speak of, it’s not in my vocabulary. some of the inverts/ microbes / macro algae in my system is really not easy to obtain. And it just got a whole lot more difficult. If they don’t pull through I’ll have important pillars in my ecosystem gone that the system was reliant on.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, and learn I did. No cucumbers. Especially with nippy fish. I am not one to give up on the hobby, even though my husband really doesn’t like fish tanks.

Spouses come and go.. Your true passion in life is what keeps you going.. thata how i see it LOL.

Maybe i sound bitter.. but no wife would dictate what i do with my life.. If i married someone like that id file for divorce lol. Or not even marry em at all.

My ex hated that i loved my Jeeps and worked on cars... hense why shes my ex LOL

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just finished cycling a 20 gallon that I was going to hook up to my larger system as a macro algae aqua scape. But when I moved everything over it started cycling again. So I had to move everything back to the big tank. Right now they are in a 5 gallon transit container with a heater, light, and bubbler. Also some macro algae until the tanks settle a bit.

Aside from extra air exchange and GAC not much else to do. Not sure what toxins are released by cucumbers, but GAC and macro should absorb it. Consider getting more utilitarian macro.

I have been reefing for 50 yrs. I also put more emphasis on micro fauna & fana. Not many people wait 6 months to establish complex food webs to recycle organic & inorganic nutrients into live food. Kudos to your goal.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of cucumber was it? Sea apple perhaps, or just a regular cuke?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this “give-up” you speak of, it’s not in my vocabulary. some of the inverts/ microbes / macro algae in my system is really not easy to obtain. And it just got a whole lot more difficult. If they don’t pull through I’ll have important pillars in my ecosystem gone that the system was reliant on.

Please describe “important pillars” in your build. Consider starting a tank thread on that forum. How big is your tank?

In the last two years, I have incorporated sponges as the third leg of biofiltration in my 25 year old tank.

Brittanyjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really devastated.

And it was.

survivors :

* 5 green chomis,

* dwarf moray eel,

* yellow tang,

Schrodinger’s listed:

* 1 golden eyed kole,

* 1 fire fish,

* cleaner wrasse,

* coco worm,

* Orange starfish,

* 3 saron shrimp,

* 1 fighting conch,

* peppermint shrimp,

* all mushrooms,

* humpback cowrie

* arrow crab

* 2 barnacles

* 2 mussels

* bubble snails

* micro jellyfish

* star polyps

* frogspawn coral

* 3 mini maxi anemones,

Known casualties:

* 5 firefish

* 1 golden eyed kole

* pyramid butterfly fish

* court jester goby

* pebbled Angel fish

* fishers Angel fish

* blue striped pipefish

* 5 Vanderbuilt chromis,

* 2 fighting conches,

* 2 limpets

* 2 short spine urchins,

* 2 long spine urchins,

* 3 flame scallops,

* 12 sexy shrimp

* 6 saron shrimp

* 1 cucumber

I have been here too. Cucumbers are so beautiful and cheap, they should come with warnings. I didn't even know what was happening.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back