I need a semi aggressive damselfish

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done my “research” on why chromis damsels die in large groups.

I have found from a few anecdotal evidence that chromis damsels that have aggressive fish in the tank are more likely to survive and stay as a group.

In a tank with minimal aggression, chromis may turn in on themselves.

I am open to some suggestions on which damsel I can add to a future group of chromis from killing each other. :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
245871DD-B97C-4196-966A-6AE24C11B6A0.jpeg

I supposed I can add a blue velvet damsel.

I’ve had HORRIBLE experience with a domino damsel being a terror to all fish. A murderer. Are blue velvet damsels as aggressive as dominos?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(… plus, have you ever seen a ‘full size’ Domino after about 3-4 years old? Many people were not expecting the final size when they bought it as a tiny juvenile at their LFS. Large ones can be great “if” one knew what they were getting into.)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(… plus, have you ever seen a ‘full size’ Domino after about 3-4 years old? Many people were not expecting the final size when they bought it as a tiny juvenile at their LFS. Large ones can be great “if” one knew what they were getting into.)
Yes. My domino became full size. It turned an ugly gray color and was a demon fish. It would even attack me and it would hurt so bad.

We tried to catch the fish with a net and even a barbed hook with bait to no avail. Hurricane irma took it out and I literally celebrated. Haha.

I will never get another domino damsel

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3D077E2D-3FDF-4C63-9E63-347FE4F181C5.jpeg
This is a chrysiptera damsel (same genus as starki, but more available and cheaper)

As with chromis, lyretail anthias also have a huge tendency to kill each other off, and this damsel can protect that investment.

Fish are so weird. They rather survive when they live on edge, but will decide to play Russian roulette when they have no threats.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tcook How many starki damsels do you have? I want to know how many I should get to have that “chasing” effect.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tcook How many starki damsels do you have? I want to know how many I should get to have that “chasing” effect.
I had one. It grew to about twice the size of a cherub angel. I think one would keep a group of 8 or more green chromis thinking about him instead of themselves. Are these going into the 300?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one. It grew to about twice the size of a cherub angel. I think one would keep a group of 8 or more green chromis thinking about him instead of themselves. Are these going into the 300?
The 260. But I’m reconsidering the chromis plan for now because it sound like a PITA to have especially since they don’t look very attractive for a fish. Kind of looks like a feeder. I only like them for their top level swimming patterns, but I’d rather anthias over chromis.

I’m looking into some pretty wrasses for now. :)

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 260. But I’m reconsidering the chromis plan for now because it sound like a PITA to have especially since they don’t look very attractive for a fish. Kind of looks like a feeder. I only like them for their top level swimming patterns, but I’d rather anthias over chromis.

I recommend a group of anthias. I love mine.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d recommend going with damsels, they’re fun to watch if you don’t care about the aggression that comes with some of them. For low aggression, I’d recommend sticking with the genus chrysiptera, even the most aggressive in this genus are nothing compared to some of the other damsels like domino’s.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend a group of anthias. I love mine.
I love anthias so much. But I’ve had terrible luck with them and I don’t want to feed so much. I will opt out from anthias even though I like them a lot.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 60 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 72 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.1%
Back