OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want sand to blowing around and it won't really fix anything you have now but it will help prevent more algae growth. Just have all areas of the tank flowing and moving into your overflow.
So just ensure the flow hits the algae on the sandbed but try the best to avoid sand stirring around?

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
HIgher lighting will result in more algae growth. If your corals were growing fine before the tank got neglected you shouldn't have to upgrade them. I would leave that till later anyways.
I honestly dont see ALOT of growth, maybe thats because when the growing started i started to neglect the tank. But maybe I will observe that after I clean my tank of algae. Any idea if my Nem will survive?

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I honestly dont see ALOT of growth, maybe thats because when the growing started i started to neglect the tank. But maybe I will observe that after I clean my tank of algae. Any idea if my Nem will survive?
Sorry I don't really have any experience on anemones.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi everyone, I’ve had a 100L AIO tank for almost a year now. But lately I’ve been having some personal issues and have neglected the tank from any maintenance except for topping off with RODI water. I apologise and I am very shameful to admit that I’ve had 4 fish die leaving me with only my two clowns. I’ve also have some corals which are not in the best shape, I think my digi frag is dead and also my hammer coral is dead (looks like it.) I only have my anemone which looks deteriorating, my Yuma still opening, my zoas half opening and my GSP not opening at all (but I know they’re technically unkillable).
I’ve now had the time and the passion to “revive” my tank. Not to scrap anything and start a new one but start rebalancing my tank, as I may say. I’ve already did like a 40% water change and cleared most of the algae growing wildly.
What should I do first? Will it take long to rebalance my tank? Also, my skimmer is going ham and I’m not sure of why. I haven’t checked on my params yet, I will surely update them soon.
Is there any equipment or filter media that can help me combat my crazy imbalance, will my fish and corals survive? I’m really worried now as I feel so stupid for not doing this sooner but I’ve already got the courage now to make my tank a beautiful one.
Also, may I know what algae is this? It was all over the rocks and sand when I first changed the water.
42A18EFD-8B7A-46F6-9838-047DCD0B2426.jpeg

And from your experience and knowledge, my nem has lost colour and also maybe in size. It doesn’t open up anymore from how I got it 5 months ago. Will it survive or can I help to revive it?
2FA8F21A-EFE0-422E-99F4-3AE0707FF9D3.jpeg

This will help remove dead organics, and help combat high nitrates.

this will help pick up the particles from the dead organics.

this will help rebalance the system,,, this is my experience

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

Hi Uzair, you can definitely turn this tank around without tearing it down for a restart.

Your parameters are not too bad although you do want the ammonia to go to zero. Since your tank is established it should be fully cycled and maybe the ammonia reading was due to decaying fish food or something that had perished. Check again to make sure the tank is clean from anything like that and check ammonia again in a couple days.

Then get on a consistent water change schedule. It was good that you did the large 40% water change to kick start the turn around but now just settle into a small water change every week, (10% is a good amount, to remove excess nutrients and replenish necessary trace elements).

Try target feeding your anemone small amounts of food 3Xs a week. If it eats you have a chance to save it.

Even when the tank gets in balance it is going to take some time to rid the tank of nuisance algae. Remove the hair hair algae by hand. Also I have found if you can turn some rocks over so that the algae on it can no longer get light that can help kill off some algae. If you like a pretty macro algae like gracilaria or dragon's breath, growing those in the tank can help out compete the nuisance algae. The algae problem is not going to be fixed instantly but with consistent water changes and manual removal, it will slowly improve until it's under control however. Slow and steady wins the race.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Uzair, you can definitely turn this tank around without tearing it down for a restart.

Your parameters are not too bad although you do want the ammonia to go to zero. Since your tank is established it should be fully cycled and maybe the ammonia reading was due to decaying fish food or something that had perished. Check again to make sure the tank is clean from anything like that and check ammonia again in a couple days.

Then get on a consistent water change schedule. It was good that you did the large 40% water change to kick start the turn around but now just settle into a small water change every week, (10% is a good amount, to remove excess nutrients and replenish necessary trace elements).

Try target feeding your anemone small amounts of food 3Xs a week. If it eats you have a chance to save it.

Even when the tank gets in balance it is going to take some time to rid the tank of nuisance algae. Remove the hair hair algae by hand. Also I have found if you can turn some rocks over so that the algae on it can no longer get light that can help kill off some algae. If you like a pretty macro algae like gracilaria or dragon's breath, growing those in the tank can help out compete the nuisance algae. The algae problem is not going to be fixed instantly but with consistent water changes and manual removal, it will slowly improve until it's under control however. Slow and steady wins the race.
Thanks alot for the tip! Ill try to control the ammonia as much as I can. And I will also start doing my scheduled water changes. What should I feed my nem? Is pellets enough? I tried feeding it some shrimp before but my other fishes (at the time) always steals it away, maybe because my nem wasnt strong enough to hold the food with its tentacles since it was deteriorating. Any idea of food choice and technique that I can ensure that my nem will eat it?

How long is "long" to combat this algae? Cause having a beautiful tank is such a dream to me. But then things went downhill.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will help remove dead organics, and help combat high nitrates.

this will help pick up the particles from the dead organics.

this will help rebalance the system,,, this is my experience
Unfortunately I couldn't find the PNS probio in my area or maybe country! hahaha, but Ill consider the sera crystal Clear pro. Is it just a filter media that I would put in my filter system just like filter sponges?

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unfortunately I couldn't find the PNS probio in my area or maybe country! hahaha, but Ill consider the sera crystal Clear pro. Is it just a filter media that I would put in my filter system just like filter sponges?
yes, it is the perfect thing for any system, especially an AIO system, you can wash and reuse, it works great because it is a 10 micron filter.. made in germany,

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks just like hair algae. Clean out all of your equipment and and get a good cuc to tackle your algae. Do a water test of your parameters. Do a few more large scale water changes and siphon out the sandbed. Maybe add in some high level chemical filtration like GFO or Carbon. Remove any dead or dying things to reduce it becoming a nitrite bomb. Try to manually remove as much algae and gunk as you can.
My experience with hair algae. You are in for a long ride. I just kept taking the rock out, and scrubbed it off. Took 6 months. As BRS said it took months to create a mess. It will take months to straighten it out. Unless you move anything alive out, and do a complete rebuild maybe that I don't know

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a huge amount of cleanup crew, grab some snails and tuxedo urchin. Every water change pull your rocks out and clean them in a bucket with a toothbrush. As for the anemone you can only hope it bounces when your parameters get stable after the algae is gone. I think down the line you had an ammonia spike of some kind that killed your fish and corals and made your anemone bleached out. Do some manual work before adding any chemicals and remember lots of water change. It doesn’t look that bad. Besides the fish and coral loss.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with hair algae. You are in for a long ride. I just kept taking the rock out, and scrubbed it off. Took 6 months. As BRS said it took months to create a mess. It will take months to straighten it out. Unless you move anything alive out, and do a complete rebuild maybe that I don't know
Dang, that is harsh to hear. But I couldn't blame anyone else but me though. How long is these "months" is it technically equal to the months it took to be that bad?

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a huge amount of cleanup crew, grab some snails and tuxedo urchin. Every water change pull your rocks out and clean them in a bucket with a toothbrush. As for the anemone you can only hope it bounces when your parameters get stable after the algae is gone. I think down the line you had an ammonia spike of some kind that killed your fish and corals and made your anemone bleached out. Do some manual work before adding any chemicals and remember lots of water change. It doesn’t look that bad. Besides the fish and coral loss.
Should I submerge my LR into some fresh RODI water or saltwater while brushing it off? Cause I think brushing it off without water is quite innefective. Ill try to find some great CUC

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I submerge my LR into some fresh RODI water or saltwater while brushing it off? Cause I think brushing it off without water is quite innefective. Ill try to find some great CUC
Sorry didn’t mentioned the water you take out from the tank same with your equipment just be mindful of your corals. Do it in a room with good amount of lighting.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive already got that, it just seems that there are these green algae (not hair) which is relatively hard to scrape off. ive used a sponge to clear it out but it still persists a little bit.
Razor blade will get it all off the glass. If you water quality is good get an urchin. They hate nitrate.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back