I need to catch this dottyback, please help

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Draining the tank is the easiest and fastest way to catch a fish unless your system is hundreds of gallons.

Worthy1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option i have read is to wait until the middle of the night then turn all the tank lights on as bright as you can. The fish come out stunned and dopey to where you can almost reach in and grab them with your hand. Ive been meaning to try this method with an angry Angel i want to catch but havent yet.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I kept feeding frozen mysis into the fish trap, eventually, the fish understood that if it wants to eat, it has to go into the trap. After 5 failed attempts to close the trap door on it; I finally got it. It has a new home now in a friend's frag tank.
Thanks for the update! Glad it worked out.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. i mistakenly got a dottyback, thinking it was a royal gramma.

Now, im afraid of adding any shrimp or fish because chances are it will attack them.

I tried the DIY bottle method, no luck. I tried using a fish trap, the clown keeps getting in there and eating all the food. And of course, i cant use a net because as soon as i approach it, it disappears under the rocks. So what do i do? Im sick of this fish and i need it gone ASAP. (Ive only used flake with the diy bottle method, ill try to use frozen tomorrow)

Thanks.
I had a somewhat opposite problem. I had to capture a royal gramma that was terrorizing my tank. Yes, clowns are always the first ones in the trap because they are formacios eaters. And I realized I should catch them one at a time 1st. I put them in my sump and then when I got down to the Royal gramma, I let her go a couple days without food and bingo she took the risk and I got her

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a somewhat opposite problem. I had to capture a royal gramma that was terrorizing my tank. Yes, clowns are always the first ones in the trap because they are formacios eaters. And I realized I should catch them one at a time 1st. I put them in my sump and then when I got down to the Royal gramma, I let her go a couple days without food and bingo she took the risk and I got her
Same thing here. Caught her eventually!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back