IceCap Gyre 2k

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still nothing I see.
not really against Marine depot, but it seems coralvue doesn't seem particularly fond of replying to product inquires by their vendors.
Or at least not in a hurry to get back to them.

side note here but looking through the coralvue blog caveman posted.
under updates for icecap 3k firmware. the post lists

We HIGHLY recommend the Sandisk Ultra – Flash Memory Card – 32 GB – MicroSDHC UHS-I (SDSQUNC-032G-AN6IA) which comes already pre-formatted

why on earth would they recommend a 32GB flash card for firmware that's less than 1MB
seems very....idk not very well thought out.

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still waiting for marine depot to get an answer from coralvue I think. I don't think coralvue is very concerned about us.
Gave it a few days because of the holidays, but still very on the fence over this one and if I actually still want it.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I need the 1k because it fits my nano tanks and obviously it gives great flow. However, I am frustrated with this garbage. Here we are, thinking that we would get 2k flow, but now it's 1k flow. Also, it didn't really help when @MarineDepot put it up for preorder VERY early. Even the COR pumps released earlier than the 1k. I don't blame them because they are not the ones releasing the product, but I was in a very good mood, to a bad one. But I will still be very loyal. Even though it might be from an unreputable company, they have a product that I want and they're just dangling it in front of my face. It sucks to be broke, because I would have bought the better Maxspect Gyre XF230 a long time ago.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called marine depot about a hour ago. I was told they have to call me back. So I'm waiting trying to get answers. I admit I'm getting a little frustrated at this point.;Shifty

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year! I contacted CoralVue again a moment ago to request an update since I did not hear back last time. It's certainly possible folks were on winter break when we sent our last request. Any new information we receive will be posted here first.

Once again we apologize for any frustration. I believe I'd mentioned earlier in this thread that when a product's pricing and/or specifications aren't finalized (but we know we'll eventually carry it), we'll list the item on our website (with the manufacturer's/distributors blessing) as COMING SOON with a disclaimer that the information we have listed is subject to change. It is clear to me we botched this product launch by making it available for pre-order prematurely. We don't feel good about it, but we have learned from it, believe me.

If anyone wants out of a pre-order, just let us know! Unless you used PayPal as your payment method, you won't be charged until your pre-order is processed and shipped.

Jeff @ Marine Depot

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called coralvue myself. I was told that the icecap should of never been offered as a preorder since the product wasn't ready yet and everyone knew that. I was also told that I should probably go ahead and ask for my money back because it can be 3 months or even longer before the product is completed and ready for sale. That's coming from coralvue directly.
Edit to add:
My intention is to not throw others under the bus but want everyone to be properly informed. We will back out of the pre order

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what. I don't mind anymore. As long as the price is a lot cheaper (I'm talking $80 max, since it is not even 1/3 the flow of the 3k, $80 is pretty generous actually), then I will be happy. Everyone makes mistakes, what @MarineDepot did wasn't on purpose and the good thing is that they learned from it and apologized. Yeah they peed in our cheerios, but I highly doubt they would do it again. I will keep shopping from them. Unless the product is over $80 (I will seriously rob a lfs), then again I wouldn't mind.

DISCLAIMER: I was just kidding about robbing a lfs, but you get the point.

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what. I don't mind anymore. As long as the price is a lot cheaper (I'm talking $80 max, since it is not even 1/3 the flow of the 3k, $80 is pretty generous actually), then I will be happy. Everyone makes mistakes, what @MarineDepot did wasn't on purpose and the good thing is that they learned from it and apologized. Yeah they peed in our cheerios, but I highly doubt they would do it again. I will keep shopping from them. Unless the product is over $80 (I will seriously rob a lfs), then again I wouldn't mind.

DISCLAIMER: I was just kidding about robbing a lfs, but you get the point.
Where did you get an 80 dollar price point, was that a discount? Many things can change and with over 3 months before the product is even finished/developed that's just to risky for us. I appreciate marine depot taking responsibility and we don't discredit them at all. There's to much misinformation going on, the employee from marine depot who spoke to my wife said the pump will still have 2000k flow? According to coralvue there still developing the pump so we will just wait and see when it comes out and then decide to purchase.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I said I was hoping the price changed to $80, which is really a generous price. This thing should be at like $60 in my opinion.
I apolagize, I misread. I agree. That's the one thing marine depot has been consistent with is the price staying at 120 dollar price point.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My situation is unique as I will not need this unit until late March at the earliest. I do not mind waiting. I still feel a little bit tossed around. @MarineDepot jumped the gun as they stated, but I have had nothing but great shipping and service experiences with them otherwise. At this point maybe we get lucky and CoralVue releases two units, a 1K and a 2K. Wishful thinking.

As far as pricing, $60-80 dollars seems unlikely. It would seem one cannot just take 1/3 of the 3K and say that is fair for the 1K. The biggest reason is the controller is probably the same and that is likely what is costly in the package. The IceCap gyres seem like a deal still compared to Maxspect pricing.

I am keeping my order intact and will re-evaluate everything when there is solid information in the months ahead.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been shown that the controller is different (@MarineDepot posted a video of it), looks smaller and cheaper than the 3k. Indeed that it is a deal compared to the maxspect gyre, but I would only say that for the 3k. I will not accept just $30 off of the 3k just to lose 2k gph flow. I might as well buy the 3k. Which is why I would only accept $80 or lower from this thing. If it is a higher price, I will be angry to the point where I'll buy it just to snap it in half. Yes, that's how angry I would be.

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralVue told us this morning the Gyre 1K is en route to them now and that they have a "firm" idea of the delivery date, which is the first week of February.

Jeff @ Marine Depot

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not what they told us? Just wish there was serious transparency here. Can you comment on what the out put flow is? An employee of yours told my wife that the flow is going to be 2000 gph and only the name changed? Also, coralvue stated they told marine depot specifically to not do a pre-order because the pump itself is still in development? This alone is frustrating as we just want facts and not promises of release. @MarineDepot

Last edited:

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not what they told us? Just wish there was serious transparency here.

I'm not sure who on the CoralVue side you communicated with, but the update I provided a moment ago came to us this morning at 9:19 am PST from their VP of Sales, so I think the information is solid. They are watching this thread, too. I don't think anyone is trying to steer anyone wrong or provide misinformation. Products coming from overseas, especially new products, often have arrival dates in flux.

Jeff @ Marine Depot

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st week of Feb? That's a blessing, but I don't care about that, I just wanna know the price. There is no way that I would allow the 1k to stay at $120 unless it does stay at 2k flow.

Back