IceCap Gyre 2k

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be interesting to see how these new Gyres are. I love the flow of the Gyres, but they are a piece of crap. I purchased 2 of the smaller ones, the wires came out of the pump within 3 months, Coralvue replaced them, 4 months later they stopped working. I turned around and purchased the bigger ones, BOTH of them went out within 6 months. Even my local shop said they won't even sell them anymore because everyone keeps coming back unhappy.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be interesting to see how these new Gyres are. I love the flow of the Gyres, but they are a piece of crap. I purchased 2 of the smaller ones, the wires came out of the pump within 3 months, Coralvue replaced them, 4 months later they stopped working. I turned around and purchased the bigger ones, BOTH of them went out within 6 months. Even my local shop said they won't even sell them anymore because everyone keeps coming back unhappy.
Ice cap only makes one size, the 3k. Are you talking about the maxspect? Our local fish stores can't keep them in stock so I don't think there all bad. Just like any other pump, they all break.

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice cap only makes one size, the 3k. Are you talking about the maxspect? Our local fish stores can't keep them in stock so I don't think there all bad. Just like any other pump, they all break.

It's got to be the same company, because Coralvue sold me an Icecap battery back up (which literally blew up) from my Gyre. Maybe someone here can explain the Maxspect, Coralvue, Icecap relationship. But they did have 2 sizes.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ice cap only has one size. And the maxspect ones although they have two sizes have a pretty good reputation of being reliable. So I'm thinking you just got a bum deal or you were maybe sold the jebao pumps which are not reliable at all.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ice cap 3K has the name icecap embedded right on the front of it in between the impellers or whatever you call them

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone picked up or found any more information on this lately?

Nothing. I could not find out anything additional through inquiries, just reconfirmed some things already mentioned here in this thread. Now I check for updates on CoralVue’s site and some other sites every couple of days. Really just waiting at this point.

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of the gyre pumps. I have the original gyre 150 which runs my 6' 125 FOWLR tank nicely. however thats not to say it hasnt had its share of problems. I find myself constantly cleaning it. as I have never seen anything build up scum quite like it does. and if you dont keep it pristine it will chew through the bushings like nothing else. I have had it, my notes say since 3-5-16 and I have replaced the wear parts the rubber sleeves and the plastic bushings at least 5 times since I got it. I have ran through all the extras they give you in the box. and had to buy some from the website. 7 dollar shipping for 2 dollars of rubber rings and posts. not what I would call acceptable for $250 of product.

however. I am willing to overlook these kinds of drawbacks with the icecap brand as going in paying 120-140 dollars having to run through "wear" parts isn't quite as big a deal I don't think. like I said I love my gyre. and im hoping this one pleases me just as much. and kind of hoping theres some small revisions that would keep the parts from wearing out the same. however there really needs to be more information brought to light about the new icecap gyres. there isnt even a page placeholder on the coralvue website. and honestly I think that would solve a lot of these issues we seem to be running around in circles looking to solve such as an official name and proper GPH output. Ive preordered and at this point an just hoping something decent shows up.

but all of this really is just trying to get over being burned by the jebao pumps. I bought a cp25 when they came out. within 3 months the motor was burned up. wouldn't turn anymore. I have actually spent the last few months trying to source a replacement cp-25 motor from various sellers but have had no luck. really disappointing looking at the pile pf parts that dosent do anything sitting beside the tank. keep telling myself to throw them away but not sure I can really bring myself to do it.

just wish there was something concrete to go on. and to know what we are really buying at this point. I can see why saltwater aquarium said they refused to do the preorder for them. too much is still up in the air.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely appreciate the online retailers posting their insights to try and help us. I understand this is just one small product and they are not the manufacturer. Should the product turn out different than expected that is out of their control. Basically in two weeks we should have an answer.

It is my understanding that IceCap licenses the technology from Maxspect. Both are housed under CoralVue. Not sure of the corporate connection between these three or if the gyres are manufactured at the same facility.

Last edited:

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well yes. of course I dont blame the retailers. they can only sell based on what they are told and what they are given to sell. just appalled that this was at a show recently with stated specs and being touted for retail "very" soon. and somewhere between then and now things may have changed. but no one is for sure "what" has changed. that's all, guess all we can do is cross our fingers and hope at this point.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of the gyre pumps. I have the original gyre 150 which runs my 6' 125 FOWLR tank nicely. however thats not to say it hasnt had its share of problems. I find myself constantly cleaning it. as I have never seen anything build up scum quite like it does. and if you dont keep it pristine it will chew through the bushings like nothing else. I have had it, my notes say since 3-5-16 and I have replaced the wear parts the rubber sleeves and the plastic bushings at least 5 times since I got it. I have ran through all the extras they give you in the box. and had to buy some from the website. 7 dollar shipping for 2 dollars of rubber rings and posts. not what I would call acceptable for $250 of product.

however. I am willing to overlook these kinds of drawbacks with the icecap brand as going in paying 120-140 dollars having to run through "wear" parts isn't quite as big a deal I don't think. like I said I love my gyre. and im hoping this one pleases me just as much. and kind of hoping theres some small revisions that would keep the parts from wearing out the same. however there really needs to be more information brought to light about the new icecap gyres. there isnt even a page placeholder on the coralvue website. and honestly I think that would solve a lot of these issues we seem to be running around in circles looking to solve such as an official name and proper GPH output. Ive preordered and at this point an just hoping something decent shows up.

but all of this really is just trying to get over being burned by the jebao pumps. I bought a cp25 when they came out. within 3 months the motor was burned up. wouldn't turn anymore. I have actually spent the last few months trying to source a replacement cp-25 motor from various sellers but have had no luck. really disappointing looking at the pile pf parts that dosent do anything sitting beside the tank. keep telling myself to throw them away but not sure I can really bring myself to do it.

just wish there was something concrete to go on. and to know what we are really buying at this point. I can see why saltwater aquarium said they refused to do the preorder for them. too much is still up in the air.
When I first got mine I burned through about three bushings really fast. It turned out that I did not know the difference between the recommended 3 months full cleaning and a normal cleaning. I was just taking the impellers off and soaking everything in vinegar and scrubbing it down every 3 months. As it turns out it's recommended that you completely break down the pump every 3 to 4 months for a deep clean. Now that I figured out how to do it and maintain that schedule I haven't had to change a bushing yet. Coralvue has a video on their website for anyone who needs it

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awww man.....no I hadn't seen. thanks for bringing that to my attention.
now im really bummed and was just kinda holding out hope. really not sure what to do still.
trying to look at the return policy. if i put it in my tank run it for 2 days and don't like it, looks like I cant return it at all. that right?
dont think ive ever had to return something.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They told me in an email only the name changed and not the specifications. Same as they suggested here. I pointed out in a reply that I understood, but they had not indicated those specs. The only specs any of us had to work with was the 2k unit displayed at MACNA 2017. They have not yet replied and I am not trying to be pushy. I had hoped the name change would be something like “Gyre Nano” and not something indicative of the flow rate, but that did not come to pass. We may be better served contacting CoralVue or IceCap directly as Marine Depot would have to do the same. At this point I am willing to wait another week and spend my time deciding if a 1K unit is sufficient for my system. I have come to realize a 3K is just too much. Reason being that 10% power for example does NOT mean 10% of the max flow rate. At 10% power the flow rate is likely more than 10% flow.

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to marine depot the name changed but the specs were the same. Not sure how that's possible though. If the specs were the same then why the name change? @MarineDepot can you shed more light on this please.

We should have some concrete answers to your questions coming from CoralVue tomorrow.

We've expressed to them everyone's concerns here—is it just a name change? what are the specs? what is the release date? is there updated product imagery available?—and we even linked them to this very thread so we (distributor, retailer, end-user) are all on the same page.

Depending on what we hear tomorrow, if any earlier adopters would like to cancel a pre-order, it won't be a problem since we don't accept payment for pre-orders until the order is actually processed and shipped.

To avoid situations like this, we do not list items on our website without consultation from our vendor partners (often they input the item information themselves), so it's puzzling that the details of this item are not finalized. We have a "coming soon" designation for items we know we will carry but don't have complete info or pricing for (like the Trident, for example). In retrospect, it seems (to me, anyway) that this is what should have been done here. I deeply apologize for all the confusion surrounding this product's launch.

We will follow up again as soon as we hear an update from CoralVue.

Sincerely,

Jeff @ Marine Depot

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back