Ich in QT with copper??

  • Thread starter Thread starter sandfan85
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

sandfan85

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 4, 2019
Messages
81
Reaction score
22
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a PBT that infested my DT, so I made the decision to set up a QT and treat the rest of my fish to finally be rid of this god forsaken parasite. I plan to run the full 72 day fallow period.

On 4/15 I got them all caught and in the qt. By 4/20 I had the copper level up to 2.02, and have since maintained no less than 1.90. I’m using Copper Power and a Hanna checker to ensure accurate measurements. Today I noticed a few white specs on my Purple Tang. Is this possible? To have them in therapeutic levels of Copper for nearly 2 weeks and still have an ich outbreak?

Thank you in advance for any/all advice
 
Anybody have any thoughts on this?
 
I had a PBT that infested my DT, so I made the decision to set up a QT and treat the rest of my fish to finally be rid of this god forsaken parasite. I plan to run the full 72 day fallow period.

On 4/15 I got them all caught and in the qt. By 4/20 I had the copper level up to 2.02, and have since maintained no less than 1.90. I’m using Copper Power and a Hanna checker to ensure accurate measurements. Today I noticed a few white specs on my Purple Tang. Is this possible? To have them in therapeutic levels of Copper for nearly 2 weeks and still have an ich outbreak?

Thank you in advance for any/all advice

Did you ever check for flukes? The fallow period for ich is 76 days not 72 btw.
 
I didn't specifically check for flukes. These spots are more the size of a grain of salt rather than the a sesame seed typical of a fluke. Perhaps I should do a FW dip, to rid it of any possible flukes??


Thanks for the correction on the 76 days
 
Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Today would be day 14 in therapeutic copper and you shouldn’t be seeing ich as long as you kept the copper in therapeutic levels.
Doing a FW dip wouldn’t hurt
 
Can you post a pic of the fish?
 
Here’s a couple. iPhone pics. Not the best. I also noticed some on my hippo. I also posted a pic of my test results.

ATTACH=full]1060400[/ATTACH]
A22C533F-CCE3-403C-B3ED-623B1F893D20.jpeg
878E1348-653D-4E61-AA86-88521424965A.jpeg
F105EA4C-32A5-486C-8AEF-01DCE55A0A32.jpeg
772B5CDB-E2A4-4F03-ABDC-AE74EAFED182.jpeg
DD2D7FED-0E0A-4344-A269-985B2F722571.jpeg


A0F8CE41-72C3-4347-90EF-60EFB7965D18.jpeg
 
I don’t see ich on the PT I do see HLLE though (white pitting in a line on and near head). I don’t think that ich on the Hippo either (irregular size and color). I think you have flukes and that would explain why they are still there as copper only suppresses them. I would do a FW dip and see what comes off. I have a feeling your container will be loaded.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new