Ich in tank

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had an ich outbreak in my tank, so far the six line wrasse and one of the clowns look the most I impacted. The spots have come out most on my six line and starting on my tang. I’m planning on setting up a 20g and putting dividers in the tank. I would have to do an in tank cycle so can I use prime while medicating with copper at the same time? Or would I have to stick to constant water changes? 4 fish would be treated total, any help or advise is appreciated

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You’ll need a copper test kit, and ammonia test kit. I like to use the Hanna Copper checker and the Seachem ammonia alert badge. Yes to prime and yes to water changes as you are monitoring. Copper needs to stay at therapeutic levels for 30 days

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll need a copper test kit, and ammonia test kit. I like to use the Hanna Copper checker and the Seachem ammonia alert badge. Yes to prime and yes to water changes as you are monitoring. Copper needs to stay at therapeutic levels for 30 days
I have a copper and ammonia kit, I would be using cupramine and prime together. I’ve read qt is 2 weeks. Would there be a negative effect on keeping copper high for longer? and tank remains empty for 76 days if I’m not mistaken. Anything else I missed?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a copper and ammonia kit, I would be using cupramine and prime together. I’ve read qt is 2 weeks. Would there be a negative effect on keeping copper high for longer? and tank remains empty for 76 days if I’m not mistaken. Anything else I missed?

You cannot dose Cupramine and Prime at the same time! The Prime can break the bond in the Cupramine between the copper and the amine, causing an overdose of copper to enter the water. I'm leery of using any reducing agent with Cupramine. This includes dechlorinators, formalin and possibly other ammonia removers.

For ammonia control, can you move any bio media from the existing tank to the treatment tank?

A safer option would be Coppersafe for 30 days.

Jay

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is coopper safe more effective than cupramine? I’m going to petco to pick up a 20g for all the fish to go in today as the wrasse has a lot of spots already. I can move some rock and ceramic rings into the tank as well as some filter media. I’m already going to be at petco so would copper safe be better than cupramine?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is coopper safe more effective than cupramine? I’m going to petco to pick up a 20g for all the fish to go in today as the wrasse has a lot of spots already. I can move some rock and ceramic rings into the tank as well as some filter media. I’m already going to be at petco so would copper safe be better than cupramine?

Coppersafe is safer, so is copper power, but they may be a bit slower to work, thus the 30 day treatment recommendation that we give.

jay

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about this method, if I do hyposalinity will this eradicate ich? If I take my corals out of the tank and place in a different aquarium does the original tank with ich still need to stay vacant for 76 days? If possible could I do hyposalinity in the tank with ich without re-infecting the fish after the treatment is done?

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it sounds confusing please ask me to clarify if you don’t really understand

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about this method, if I do hyposalinity will this eradicate ich? If I take my corals out of the tank and place in a different aquarium does the original tank with ich still need to stay vacant for 76 days? If possible could I do hyposalinity in the tank with ich without re-infecting the fish after the treatment is done?
The corals would need to be held in a fishless system for 45 to 60 days depending on the water temperature. If you hypo your DT, after it is done, you don’t fallow that since the fish are still in it.
Jay

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals would need to be held in a fishless system for 45 to 60 days depending on the water temperature. If you hypo your DT, after it is done, you don’t fallow that since the fish are still in it.
Jay
I’m almost done setting up the tank, I think I’ll go with copper since it’s already here. Should I dose to therapeutic levels immediately or slowly raise? The bottle (coppersafe) says to add 1 teaspoon for 4g but I can’t find anything that mentions how quick I should add it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m almost done setting up the tank, I think I’ll go with copper since it’s already here. Should I dose to therapeutic levels immediately or slowly raise? The bottle (coppersafe) says to add 1 teaspoon for 4g but I can’t find anything that mentions how quick I should add it
You can add it all at once, but you need the be accurate, and most people don’t know the exact volume of their tanks - so adding a half dose, letting it circulate a few hours, then testing and adding a final adjusted dose is the best way to go.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I dosed half of the copper to get it up and see how it is. I dosed 10 mL of copper which is about under half, and get a reading of about .8mg/l. I’m not undertanding how it so high if I only dosed 2/5 of what I was supposed to. It’s a seachem test kit, could it be a crappy test kit or is coppersafe extremely strong? Should I wc to lower it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I dosed half of the copper to get it up and see how it is. I dosed 10 mL of copper which is about under half, and get a reading of about .8mg/l. I’m not undertanding how it so high if I only dosed 2/5 of what I was supposed to. It’s a seachem test kit, could it be a crappy test kit or is coppersafe extremely strong? Should I wc to lower it?

If you used coppersafe, then 0.8 mg/l is correct for a slightly less than half a dose. If you add the remaining 3/5 dose you will be right around 2 mg/l

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back