Ich in the DT! Need advice.

Stu_Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all!

As you saw in the title of my thread, I’ve had an Ich outbreak in my Red Sea reefer 350.

Livestock:
Tomini Tang
Two Spot Tang
2 clownfish
1 Cardinal fish

This started a little over a week ago. I was closely observing my tank and noticed white sugar like specs on my two spot tang and one of my clown fish. I bought Brightwells amino and vitamin c and fed multiple times a day, hoping to help their immune system. They were both doing well and looked very healthy at the end of the week, despite the few noticeable spots

I went away for a long weekend and my wife didn’t feed as much as I would have liked (not pointing fingers). I came back and my tang and clownfish are covered. My clownfish’s eye looks like it’s bulging, is secluding herself and isn’t eating. My two spot tang is active and still eating well, still covered.

Im not sure what to do at this point. I have a 20 long I’m about to break down that I can use as a hospital tank. I’ll use some of the live rock to help with a cycle. Should I remove all of my fish from the DT and treat them? I wish I could avoid moving them and causing stress. I’ve read HumbleFish’s site and just have no idea which route I should take as far as treatment. I am completely fine leaving the DT fallow for 76 days.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I don’t know how the ich came about. This tank was set up Labor Day this year and all the fish have been added one by one after a month long cycle.

PS. Yes I have learned my lesson. I will QT everything here on out.

RVA REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add 2 bristletooth tangs to a tank that small, its also tough starting with dead/dry rock as it sometimes takes up to a year for it to start looking good and work. I would put one of the tangs in the 20 and order some real liverock from the ocean and see if things improve.

OP
OP
Stu_Tanks

Stu_Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would not add 2 bristletooth tangs to a tank that small, its also tough starting with dead/dry rock as it sometimes takes up to a year for it to start looking good and work. I would put one of the tangs in the 20 and order some real liverock from the ocean and see if things improve.
I’ll probably just add the tang and the clown to the 20 together then. The only point with the live rock was to help with the cycle. I can do without and use the cycled filter media

RVA REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trust me when i say get some "real" liverock from the ocean, add that to the 20 and keep your other tank going, and see which tank improves faster.

OP
OP
Stu_Tanks

Stu_Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
trust me when i say get some "real" liverock from the ocean, add that to the 20 and keep your other tank going, and see which tank improves faster.
I’m not tracking on what you’re trying to say. There is nothing wrong with the 20, I’m just breaking it down to use as a QT or I may get a larger tank for the whole crew to QT in while my DT is fallow. I’m here to seek treatment advice.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back