Ich symptoms after a water change?

Chris H Reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 16, 2024
Messages
111
Reaction score
72
Location
Greenville
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have a 75 gal reef tank that has been running for about 6 months. I’ll be honest when I first started I did not understand well enough how to maintain a tank. I was keeping good “perimeters” (ph 8.2, nitrate 20, Sal: 1.025) so did not perform a water change for the first 4 months.

My corals started to suffer and I everyone on here recommended I start doing water changes to replenish other peramiters id never tested for.

I’ve been doing a 10% water change weekly for 5 weeks now.

I noticed after water change 3 my tang was showing signs of ich, white spots on it.

Although on how this might have happened? It’s weird I’m improving the water quality of my tank and this happened.
 
Hey all,

I have a 75 gal reef tank that has been running for about 6 months. I’ll be honest when I first started I did not understand well enough how to maintain a tank. I was keeping good “perimeters” (ph 8.2, nitrate 20, Sal: 1.025) so did not perform a water change for the first 4 months.

My corals started to suffer and I everyone on here recommended I start doing water changes to replenish other peramiters id never tested for.

I’ve been doing a 10% water change weekly for 5 weeks now.

I noticed after water change 3 my tang was showing signs of ich, white spots on it.

Although on how this might have happened? It’s weird I’m improving the water quality of my tank and this happened.

First, are you 100% sure it is ich? Not all white spots are ich. Ich will come and go, change location and change in numbers every few days, but with a general increase in overall numbers of spots over time.

It could be purely coincidental, or it could be the slight stress of working around the tank caused it to break out.

Jay
 
First, are you 100% sure it is ich? Not all white spots are ich. Ich will come and go, change location and change in numbers every few days, but with a general increase in overall numbers of spots over time.

It could be purely coincidental, or it could be the slight stress of working around the tank caused it to break out.

Jay
I’m pretty sure it’s ich. I have noticed it seems to be clearing up and then the spots come back.

Maybe I’ll try to drain the water from my sump for water changes so it’s less messing around near the fish?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new