OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, what was the store’s specific gravity versus your tank’s and how long ago did you add it to your tank?
Jay
1.024 and 1.024 I matched what was in the bag. Less than an hour ago. It’s worth noting the heater is coming up to 76 too. So I know it’s a bit cold right now.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That would have been awefully quick and may be sand or sediment which is clearly shown on bottom next to fish. Is there a reason you went from display to quarantine ? As mentioned of a little thin and possibly stressed, I would have held off on transfer unless something critical appeared.
Was this tank just set up today ?
Was it breathing heavy Prior to being transferred?
Yes and yes. I knew he was stressed. I did it as a precaution because I know the Petco I got him at has had ich outbreaks and fish with ich.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
1.024 and 1.024 I matched what was in the bag. Less than an hour ago. It’s worth noting the heater is coming up to 76 too. So I know it’s a bit cold right now.
What temp was the water from the bag and what temp was the tank water?

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I added some bacteria to it…I will add some filter media and no because it was just set up.

Seems like you're rushing into things. Its better to have the tank fully cycled before adding livestock. My new Fusion 15 tank has been up for over a week with live rocks from the ocean and I still don't have any livestock in there yet. I know its ready but i'm in no rush. Take it slow.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems like you're rushing into things. It’s better to have the tank fully cycled before adding livestock. My new Fusion 15 tank has been up for over a week with live rocks from the ocean and I still don't have any livestock in there yet. I know it’s ready but i'm in no rush. Take it slow.
This is my quarantine tank for treatment if you didn’t realize? It that won’t be set up for long hopefully and I’ll add media from my other tank. So it won’t be a full cycle hopefully and daily water changes will be part of it.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I mix copper treatment with general cure or maracyn for bacterial infections as a precaution? Anything else I can do/add to hopefully save/heal the little guy. I feel so bad! The tank is now up to 78 and he’s still covered in ich, stressed/laying on the powerhead, and breathing heavy. I added an air pump. @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can I mix copper treatment with general cure or maracyn for bacterial infections as a precaution? Anything else I can do/add to hopefully save/heal the little guy. I feel so bad! The tank is now up to 78 and he’s still covered in ich and stressed/not moving around much and breathing heavy. I added an air pump. @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal
I believe you have air stone running- that covers added O2
Maracyn CAN be mixed with coppersafe or copper power but no general cure
Try giving the fish GENTLE bursts with a turkey baster to confirm its ich (which won’t dislodge) opposed to sediments
For the future, if you get to a LFS and it has ONE tank with ich, fungus anything… walk out. Any purchase not worth it and also ask to see fish eat

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try giving the fish GENTLE bursts with a turkey baster to confirm its ich (which won’t dislodge) opposed to sediments
For the future, if you get to a LFS and it has ONE tank with ich, fungus anything… walk out. Any purchase not worth it and also ask to see fish eat
Thanks. I did. He ate. He looked happy swimming about at the store (Petco I know…I know). I knew very well the tanks have ich because I got a fish before that died on me unfortunately and I’ve spoken with them before about their tanks. And he was only $11 at the store because he was labeled wrong. So it wasn’t about money. I looked at him and he looked at me and I said, “You’re coming home with me!” I have a soft spot for animals. And now I’m maxed again on fish so I won’t be buying anymore…knock on wood. I tried to see if the spots would come off they didn’t.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s the difference? Between maracyn, maracyn two, and maracyn oxy? I see it’s different medications which one should I use?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What’s the difference? Between maracyn, maracyn two, and maracyn oxy? I see it’s different medications which one should I use?
Maracyn 2

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maracyn 2
Anything else I can use instead? As a general bacterial medication? Anything from Seachmen? Maracyn 2 is out of stock in places/not sold or $40 on Amazon too much for what I need. Can I use Kanaplex or MetroPlex etc. or??

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't treat the fish with antibiotics just yet, I don't see any signs of a bacterial infection. Antibiotics have side effects in aquariums, so you only want to use them if trying to treat a specific infection.

Did I read that the fish ate well for you then? I think it is just adjusting to your tank.

I'm still struggling to understand the timeline here - ich spots can't just show up and certainly not when you move a fish to a new tank (there would be no tomites in the new tank). In looking again, it looks like detritus/dust to me. Let use know how the fish looks this morning.

Jay

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wouldn't treat the fish with antibiotics just yet, I don't see any signs of a bacterial infection. Antibiotics have side effects in aquariums, so you only want to use them if trying to treat a specific infection.

Did I read that the fish ate well for you then? I think it is just adjusting to your tank.

I'm still struggling to understand the timeline here - ich spots can't just show up and certainly not when you move a fish to a new tank (there would be no tomites in the new tank). In looking again, it looks like detritus/dust to me. Let use know how the fish looks this morning.

Jay
From my understanding they watched the fish eat at Petco hours prior to bringing the fish home. Now after being in an observation tank for a few hours the fish developed white spots and is noticeably stressed.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In ready this thread its truly very sad for the little guy. The midas blenny in the first pic looks fine and next I see a picture of the fish in its stress colors.

To me the fish looks like it got stressed for some reason and went to its camouflage color pattern. This is normal behavior for a new midas blenny. Did you think this was bad and remove him from display?

Now I'm not for sure if the blenny went to this color pattern because of water conditions in your display or not, but as I said its normal behavior for midas blenny in perfect water. When getn midas blenny expect to see that pattern for first several days until the fish gets comfortable with its surroundings.

That being said. Please post your parms of the display you had him in.

Now in the qt tank. It seems to me that the water quality is probably not good and that is why the little guy is laying on the bottom. The specs look like sand to me in the pics.

Did you have to chase the blenny around the display tank to get him into your qt tank? Maybe it got stressed more.

What are the parms in the display tank and qt tank?

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ph
Alk
Temp

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. So that picture was from the petco where it was happy. Then it went bad after going into qt tank. Ok. So we only need the info on the qt tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back