ICH TREATMENT!

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh ok. So that picture was from the petco where it was happy. Then it went bad after going into qt tank. Ok. So we only need the info on the qt tank.
From what I gathered the acclimation seems to have been rushed, bag was floated for a little while but was still cool according to OP then the temp was raised to 78 rather quickly which is a huge jump and will stress the heck out of any fish.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't treat the fish with antibiotics just yet, I don't see any signs of a bacterial infection. Antibiotics have side effects in aquariums, so you only want to use them if trying to treat a specific infection.

Did I read that the fish ate well for you then? I think it is just adjusting to your tank.

I'm still struggling to understand the timeline here - ich spots can't just show up and certainly not when you move a fish to a new tank (there would be no tomites in the new tank). In looking again, it looks like detritus/dust to me. Let use know how the fish looks this morning.

Jay
Yes at the store. Today he’s still laying and breathing heavy with spots on him. Yes definitely is stresses in a new environment etc. The QT is now a normal temperature and everything is 0 because it’s basically a batch of freshly mixed saltwater.

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to add some bacteria either through bottled bac or with some media from the dt (not rock or sand). You can start getting copper up but be sure you have ammonia under control. It isn’t up yet but it will be.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try to add some bacteria either through bottled bac or with some media from the dt (not rock or sand). You can start getting copper up but be sure you have ammonia under control. It isn’t up yet but it will be.
I already did!:)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes at the store. Today he’s still laying and breathing heavy with spots on him. Yes definitely is stresses in a new environment etc. The QT is now a normal temperature and everything is 0 because it’s basically a batch of freshly mixed saltwater.
If the spots are still there today, then I think you should treat for ich. Contact the store to see if they also have active ich in that system. The fish HAD to have been infected with trophonts at the store, it could not have developed them after you purchased it….
Jay

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the spots are still there today, then I think you should treat for ich. Contact the store to see if they also have active ich in that system. The fish HAD to have been infected with trophonts at the store, it could not have developed them after you purchased it….
Jay
Yes and yes. I know this store does. Again I felt bad for the little guy.

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
It was a petco - no need to ask…it shows. They’d deny it anyway (according to the one by me sharknose gobies are supposed to be covered in white spots).

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It was a petco - no need to ask…it shows. They’d deny it anyway (according to the one by me sharknose gobies are supposed to be covered in white spots).
Look I love the Petco near me it has an amazing saltwater section and great staff. I just know their tanks have ich and they don’t have enough space or resources…to do a complete fallow period. So that’s why bringing him home I knew he’d probably have ich. And they did tell me they had ich outbreaks. I also know that the store will take saltwater fish back that are sick (alive)…even though Petco policy says otherwise. A lot of the employees used to work at other places like the local saltwater fish store and they are all adults not young students in school which helps. And all the tanks share the same system/are all connected like most local fish stores. So removing and fallowing the entire system is not realistic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What was the temp when you first put it in? You said it's almost up to 76 then it's up to 78. Just how cold was it when you added it?
Room temperature so in the 60s. I know…I know that’s bad. It’s reef tank temperature now and has been for over 24 hours. He seems to moving around a little more today but he is still stressed. But I know it’s to be expected too.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just for a few moments he was swimming around and lightened up! He still has spots and is dark again.
7C70B4EC-5381-4E40-BA63-D99E30A9B2A7.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add this into the mix, since it is pretty skinny:

Jay

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just to add this into the mix, since it is pretty skinny:

Jay
Thanks I know he is.:(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This isn’t going to work to test the copper is it? It’s in a different conversion and it’s not high enough is it? Which means I have to get another one. @vetteguy53081
A8A0D340-374F-4294-A9B3-1F96D917E691.jpeg
You want the Hanna copper test kit
Accuracy is important here
As a tip, you can have a trusted LFS test copper for you as long as no api brand

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You want the Hanna copper test kit
Accuracy is important here
As a tip, you can have a trusted LFS test copper for you as long as no api brand
Good point! I know. I just don’t want to spend the money on a checker only to be used a few times. Maybe I’ll look at Salifert.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I mix copper treatment with general cure or maracyn for bacterial infections as a precaution? Anything else I can do/add to hopefully save/heal the little guy. I feel so bad! The tank is now up to 78 and he’s still covered in ich, stressed/laying on the powerhead, and breathing heavy. I added an air pump. @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal

Never use antibiotics as a preventative or precaution.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted! I did add some vitamins to the water though. And I’ve heard mixed things about garlic. But I thought about it.
Don't add vitamins to the water. All that does is feed the bacteria. The small amount of water that marine fish drink makes the amount of vitamin ingested minimal to none. Even be careful adding vitamins to food - it can rinse off into the water. Also, vitamins don't cure any diseases, and fat soluble ones are toxic at too high doses.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t going to work to test the copper is it? It’s in a different conversion and it’s not high enough is it? Which means I have to get another one. @vetteguy53081
A8A0D340-374F-4294-A9B3-1F96D917E691.jpeg

Does this test read as high as 3 ppm? If so, you can use it for coppersafe or copper power. If it only reads from 0 to 0.3 then it is good for ionic copper only. Their web site just says "good for all types of copper".

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back