ICH?

jettpeterson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a blue tang 4 days ago from a local aquarium store and it looks like it has ICH so I bought API super ICH cure and I’m just looking for a second opinion to see if it looks like ICH to you

52313673-5C9A-426D-B326-13AD47271FAB.jpeg

Casper12065

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich to me. Is it darting around/scratching on stuff? Does it have faster breathing?

Best luck I have had treating ich is to put it in a qt tank, treat it with copper, and use hyposalinty. Fish can survive lower salinity in the tank, ich can't.

Unfortunately your main display tank will now have ich so you will need to keep an eye on other fish in the tank. Not the end of the world but something to keep an eye on for sure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jettpeterson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich to me. Is it darting around/scratching on stuff? Does it have faster breathing?

Best luck I have had treating ich is to put it in a qt tank, treat it with copper, and use hyposalinty. Fish can survive lower salinity in the tank, ich can't.

Unfortunately your main display tank will now have ich so you will need to keep an eye on other fish in the tank. Not the end of the world but something to keep an eye on for sure.
No it’s acting completely normal and still eats like a pig and I only have a coral beauty and a ocellaris clownfish in the aquarium

Upvote 0

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a blue tang 4 days ago from a local aquarium store and it looks like it has ICH so I bought API super ICH cure and I’m just looking for a second opinion to see if it looks like ICH to you

I have read before that mucus plugs are often confused with ich. It appears to be only on the body not the fins from what I can see, is that correct? Without any other symptoms, it may not be ich. @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081 are far more knowledgeable than I am on this though.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have read before that mucus plugs are often confused with ich. It appears to be only on the body not the fins from what I can see, is that correct? Without any other symptoms, it may not be ich. @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081 are far more knowledgeable than I am on this though.
Can be anywhere the trophants imbed themselves

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry, the picture isn’t clear enough to say if that is ich or not. If the spots change location day to day, and start to increase in number, it is likely ich. If the same spots are in the same location day to day, it probably is not ich.
Jay

Upvote 0

Casper12065

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have any inverts or corals in your tank you can just treat the whole tank with copper power and/or hyposalinity too. If you treat long enough, it should get rid of the Ich in your display tank, though it's a bit like treating everyone with chemo because one person has cancer. If you choose copper, at the end of the treatment you can get media to run in your filter which will soak up the copper. I've done that before on fish only tanks. Just be aware that it will leach into substrate, rocks, etc. and will kill live rock (which should be removed beforehand) and some biological filtration, so it's really a sledgehammer solution to get ich out of a display.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nbrady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that... I bought a brown powder tang and it gave ich to the entire tank... I have 7 fish left. Hoping they make it. I am using metroplex, focus, garlic and feeding 3 times a day. It is the saddest thing to watch. I am truly sorry :(.

Upvote 0

ProvidenceTidalReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a uv unit, metroplex is NOT RECOMMENED BY ANY MEANS! it will kill coral make your tank cloudy for days.
My blue tang has ich.
Hasent given it to anyone else.
Keep feeding it and if its healthy enough it will be okay.
Your tank will be okay you will be okay.
Your corals cannot get ich. Only fish..and its definitely ich in the photos.

Best course of action. Is a UV for ich and top quality food. The name of the game is now called ich management.. I have added fish with no I'll effects even after ich out break.
On 1 fish. Blue tang (dory) they are 100% known carriers of ich. Do not use copper. Blue tangs are sensitive to it and hypo salinity. Are both Terrible ideas.

Go get yourself a nice dose of chemo and then tell me how you feel. That's exactly what copper does to your fish.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a uv unit, metroplex is NOT RECOMMENED BY ANY MEANS! it will kill coral make your tank cloudy for days.
My blue tang has ich.
Hasent given it to anyone else.
Keep feeding it and if its healthy enough it will be okay.
Your tank will be okay you will be okay.
Your corals cannot get ich. Only fish..and its definitely ich in the photos.

Best course of action. Is a UV for ich and top quality food. The name of the game is now called ich management.. I have added fish with no I'll effects even after ich out break.
On 1 fish. Blue tang (dory) they are 100% known carriers of ich. Do not use copper. Blue tangs are sensitive to it and hypo salinity. Are both Terrible ideas.

Go get yourself a nice dose of chemo and then tell me how you feel. That's exactly what copper does to your fish.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you here. UV sterilization is only an adjunct treatment for Cryptocaryon. It doesn't work well as a side stream, the dwell time is too long. If the theronts don't pass across the bulb, they are not killed, and ich can persist. Blue tangs are fine with organically bound coppers like Coppersafe, you just need to dose it properly, with a good test kit.

Jay

Upvote 0
Back