ICK on almost all of my fish

harsha22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bannerfish and clown have their bodies covered with white spots and patches.
both fishes look dull.

tried the freshwater dip and have been using Reef safe bio med from polyplab.

the previous outbreak was contained with the above but now, the fishes dont seem to be getting better.
Have been feeding well and the UV is on as well.
Any suggestions other than having a quarantine tank?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
both fishes look dull.

the previous outbreak was contained with the above but now, the fishes dont seem to be getting better.
You should have a hospital tank - with copper at proper dosage. If you look at my signature there is a link with some other questions that you can answer to help us help you. A freshwater dip will only help - it does not cure the disease. I would suggest that Reef safe bio med is not going to be as effective as copper - with such a severe infestation.

Are you sure it's ich - as compared to velvet? Second - Given the severity you're describing, I would get treatment started ASAP

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
both fishes look dull.

Before any assessments, can be a few things and in this case pics under white lighting will be helpful
Also-
Are fish eating?
Is breathing rate normal or rapid?
Any itching/scratching?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A short video under white lights is also recommended.

And you can start a hospital tank in a garbage can or tote with a powerhead and airstone -- you may even be able to get away without a heater in many homes -- so your setup needn't be fancy.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both fishes look dull.

+1 on seeing a short video under white light.

If you had ich in the tank with these fish before, it may never have gone away, and there is always a "tipping point" where if the fish go past, feeding well, using UV and reef safe medications will no longer work.

Jay

OP
OP
harsha22

harsha22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both fishes look dull.

You should have a hospital tank - with copper at proper dosage. If you look at my signature there is a link with some other questions that you can answer to help us help you. A freshwater dip will only help - it does not cure the disease. I would suggest that Reef safe bio med is not going to be as effective as copper - with such a severe infestation.

Are you sure it's ich - as compared to velvet? Second - Given the severity you're describing, I would get treatment started ASAP
i think its velvet. At this point it doesnt matter if it is ich or velvet. The bannerfish was rapidly losing fins, not eating and was in a single spot. The clowns eye has a white haze and was swimming near the water line.Any suggestions other than having a quarantine tank?

i think its velvet. At this point it doesnt matter if it is ich or velvet. The bannerfish was rapidly losing fins, not eating and was not swimming a lot. The clowns eye has a white haze and was swimming near the water line.
Moved all my 5 fishes to a 5 gallon qt.
Has simple air pump with sponge.
Heater
Added Kordon ich attack
Planning to qt them for 2 or 3 weeks if they survive.

my only question is only 2 out 5 seem to have the parasite. Is it good to qt all of them or just the ones infected?

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what has been said. If your fish are covered with ich and they are not doing well, then you have limited time to intervene. Either use copper power or copper safe. All else is not appropriate at this point. Dose to therapeutic level (don’t ramp up slowly since it is not necessary and you don’t have time) and hope they improve. That’s the only way to give them a chance. Other things may have copper in them but you need a very targeted and therapeutic level of copper. Those are the two that can provide for that.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually its kordon rapid cure and it has copper in it. It says not reef safe on the bottle.
If it is velvet you need copper at a therapeutic concentration in the water and you need to maintain that level throughout the parasites lifecycle. To eliminate the parasites in the display it will need a fallow period.

Another option, I’ve successfully cured fish of velvet with H2O2 baths and TTM. It was a lot of work.

OP
OP
harsha22

harsha22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? Did the fish get in the qt
Yes, all in qt. They are not eating. Probably stressed. Dosed with kordon rapid cure. Thats the only chemical closest to copper safe that I could get hold off. Almost all seem to say this is useless but i feel they are getting mixed up with other kordon products.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose every new fish with copper at therapeutic levels for 3 weeks before putting them in my tank. You have to make a decision on weather you want to dose every fish or setup an observation tank and only dose sick fish. Also you will have to wait 6-7 weeks fallow if you raise your main tank to 80 degrees. I lost half my fish early in hobby and have been disease free for over 3 and a half years .
I setup a coral qt tank for corals and I setup a qt for fish only when I'm buying a batch.
Try to plan ahead by getting a couple medications on hand in case you get a sick fish. There are several articles to treat just about every type of sickness. There are a lot of opinions and a lot of facts on ways to treat fish and be successful.

The truth is usually in between but there are ways to avoid this in future. Good luck hope your fish do well.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back