Ick problem!

Albz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so got a 29g and having a ick outburst!!! My firfish had it and hasnt seen him in two days, and now one of my clowns seems to have it.. i dont have room for a qt tank and i dont know what to treat it with and how. Some help... my corals look healthy though

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so got a 29g and having a ick outburst!!! My firfish had it and hasnt seen him in two days, and now one of my clowns seems to have it.. i dont have room for a qt tank and i dont know what to treat it with and how. Some help... my corals look healthy though
You cannot effectively treat it in a coral tank. The only 2 treatments that are known to work are CP (requires a Vet's prescription) and copper. Neither can be used in a reef tank.

Your only other option is to try to use high quality feed to boost the fishes natural immune system so that they can survive despite having ich in the aquarium. Just keep in mind that unless take all your fish out of the aquarium for 76 days you will always have ich in your system. You need to starve it out. This means adding any new fish is also a risk as you will be exposing them to ich when added.

OP
OP
Albz

Albz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot effectively treat it in a coral tank. The only 2 treatments that are known to work are CP (requires a Vet's prescription) and copper. Neither can be used in a reef tank.

Your only other option is to try to use high quality feed to boost the fishes natural immune system so that they can survive despite having ich in the aquarium. Just keep in mind that unless take all your fish out of the aquarium for 76 days you will always have ich in your system. You need to starve it out. This means adding any new fish is also a risk as you will be exposing them to ich when added.

So feeding my fish more it will help? I also use garlic to soak fish food and use it... heard its good

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So feeding my fish more it will help? I also use garlic to soak fish food and use it... heard its good
Not more, just high quality. Either live foods or specialty frozen foods like LRS Reef Frenzy will help. It takes a high quality diet and minimal stress to keep fish in what we refer to as an 'Ich management system".

Here is some good information on it.
http://reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

Soaking your food in garlic may entice the fish to eat but there isn't any evidence it will work to make them healthier.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not more, just high quality. Either live foods or specialty frozen foods like LRS Reef Frenzy will help. It takes a high quality diet and minimal stress to keep fish in what we refer to as an 'Ich management system".

Here is some good information on it.
http://reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

Soaking your food in garlic may entice the fish to eat but there isn't any evidence it will work to make them healthier.
In fact prolonged use of garlic with food has been known to be bad for a fish

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back