ICP results

twhit030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ohhhhhhh boy people. Okay so need some help I did my first ever ICP test. And I almost wish I hadn’t. Apparently there’s allllll sorts of metals in there and and I’m confused about iodine and some other things. If any one’s willing and understands any of this stuff please feel free to look over my. Umbers and results. Also the companies “recommended values” seem way off so I don’t know what to go by.

I will say I did kinda suspect there would be some metal in the tank based off find a pump was corroding (which is what made me want to get the test) anyways here’s the numbers any help or opinions are awesome! I had a fairly young (5 month) all acro tank still going through some diatoms and a few random very fast fish deaths.

F12E8512-1232-499F-A69E-17786796B31C.png 870C037C-5EE9-4201-A5F8-74BDD2921579.png F2257EC2-85F1-4088-83A7-A340AD9DA216.png

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that I am not experienced in ICP testing. I will give my observations:

It’s not likely that fish will die from these heavy metals (and it would certainly kill your corals/inverts way before killing the fish).

Assuming you aren’t dosing any trace elements, run cuprisorb or poly filter pads as either can quickly remove heavy metals. If you are dosing elements, either stop or limit dosage.

Remove any equipment that is leaching metals from your tank (you know this part already).

As for the individual values, I do not know how high these are in comparison to natural sea water levels. I will wait for the ICP pros to weigh in.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that I am not experienced in ICP testing. I will give my observations:

It’s not likely that fish will die from these heavy metals (and it would certainly kill your corals/inverts way before killing the fish).

Assuming you aren’t dosing any trace elements, run cuprisorb or poly filter pads as either can quickly remove heavy metals. If you are dosing elements, either stop or limit dosage.

Remove any equipment that is leaching metals from your tank (you know this part already).

As for the individual values, I do not know how high these are in comparison to natural sea water levels. I will wait for the ICP pros to weigh in.
Other then certain metals how does cuprasorb affect trace elements dosing?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other then certain metals how does cuprasorb affect trace elements dosing?
Cuprasorb will to most (if not, all) heavy metals in aquariums. It is meant as a temporary solution to being down very high levels of metals, but is not to be used long term (reef organisms need trace elements).

After all the metals are absorbed (usually cuprisorb is run for 2-3 weeks) then you can start dosing again, but I’d advice to take it slow and do another ICP test to make sure you aren’t overdosing the metals.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overdosing trace elements can cause more harm than just leaving the trace elements alone. Water changes almost always can handle your tank demand unless you have a wall to wall coral tank, then trace element dosing may be warranted.

Do not dose anything you cannot test for. I recommend anyone who does trace element dosing to periodically have ICP tests to establish a baseline and to follow trends. Maybe once every few months but more frequently towards the beginning of starting.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine at that level is of no concern. might as well be zero.
What does your PO4 kit say? over 1ppm?
Fe is higher than usual, but not "high" as in dangerous. Could be from contamination, maybe zinc and vanadium too.
I don't see much else that points to "contamination" off the top of my head, but I'm not great at the metals that could co-occur in rusted components.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.6%
Back