ICP Test Copper?

OrangeFaucett10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys over the past 6 months I’ve lost 70% of my SPS from what I assumed was a huge OD on Vibrant. I’m still losing pieces today. I just received my ICP test for the RODI water I use and it indicated .5 ppb copper. So copper poising symptoms match my issue and I’m wondering if that amount is high enough to slowly poison everything?
126DFBBD-781F-4276-A3F2-BF971C2810D9.png

OP
OP
O

OrangeFaucett10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it is not that high, and I would also not be sure it is accurate.

Did you do ICP on the tank water?
Oddly enough not yet. Normally I get both tests results together. It appears all the colonies that are suffer are still dying from the original OD. I just added a piece of PC rainbow and day four polyps are still extended lol

Elliott Comans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity what figure is considered low medium or high. If the answer differs ro water to tank water please state both. Thank you, also have small copper traces and trying to judge course of action .

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity what figure is considered low medium or high. If the answer differs ro water to tank water please state both. Thank you, also have small copper traces and trying to judge course of action .

Toxicity of copper depends on what organics are bound to it, so there is no perfect answer from ICP values. I once tested my tank at 11-15 ppm copper without apparent problem.

IMO, less than 1 ppb is not a concern. 0-10 ppb may indicate a need to look for a source, and higher than that I might begin to try to lower it with a binder.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back