If/When/What I Should Add into a Clean-up Crew

MarlinMan11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Everyone was very helpful with my first post, so I'd like to thank everybody who responded.

Onto the main question, my 10x20 tank (10 gal, no sump) has just gone through a diatom bloom (it's now beginning to retreat/hibernate). I read somewhere that this means your cycle is ending, so I decided to check the parameters of the water. Here are the results:
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0.1 ppm
Nitrate- 20 ppm (I assume this will fall if my cycle is ending?)
pH- 7.8 (working on boosting this)
Alkalinity- 80 ppm (not good because I use conditioned tap water; probably going to add RO water)
Salinity- 1.024

With these numbers, I figured that I might be able to add a clean-up crew. The only things in my tank right now are dry rock and live sand, as well as the diatoms. Should I order a CUC, and if I do, what should it be? I've read some articles recommending nassarius snails, hermit crabs, and skunk cleaner shrimps, but I'd prefer to get information from people who have seen these things work (because as someone in western PA, I never have). Sorry for the lengthiness. Thank you in advance for all responses.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add much yet. They will make quick work of what you have and then starve. Best to wait a bit longer, and start small. Most package deals include way more than a small system can support

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should wait until your nitrates are down to around 5 ppm before attempting to add a CUC, just to make sure your cycle is going good.

The members of your CUC depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Hermit crabs are good for scavenging uneaten food and will sometimes pick at algae (don't count on it though). Snails such as Trochus, Astrea, Nerite, and Turbo Snails will scrape algae off of rocks and glass. Conchs, Nassarius, and Cerith snails are all good for sand bed maintenance. Shrimp can have certain functions such as peppermint shrimp being used for aiptasia control and skunk cleaner shrimp as fish parasite remover.

Certain CUC members should be avoided with a young tank such as Tiger Tail Sea Cucumbers and Sand Sifting Starfish, they will not tolerate nutrient swings very well and also need a healthy bio-load to support them long term. Those two I mentioned are also not a good fit for a 10 gallon.

You can add a preliminary clean up crew when your nitrates come down. For a ten gallon, I would go with a group of 5-10 banded trochus snails depending on how big they are (they are also called tiger trochus snails in some LFS's) and 5 or so small reef hermits such as the Orange and Black/Blue Zebra hermits. Make sure you get a few empty shells for the hermits that are slightly bigger than the shells they are being bought in so that they can grow into them, otherwise they will go after the snails for new shells. Throw a small pinch of flakes in for them for food every 2-3 days (take the pinch and rub it between your fingers slightly and then release it under water with the filtration turned off). If that works out well for 1-2 weeks after your first fish, then I would add a Skunk cleaner shrimp, both for the utility and the personality (Mine was an honorary fish and would clean my fingernails for me :) )

OP
OP
MarlinMan11

MarlinMan11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add much yet. They will make quick work of what you have and then starve. Best to wait a bit longer, and start small. Most package deals include way more than a small system can support
Thank you for the answer. If I have Tropical Flakes (Aqueon), can I just continue feeding a CUC after they've finished what's in the tank? In addition, would it be reasonable just to buy a small CUC (2-3 animals per species instead of 5, if it's possible to buy them individually) to reduce the rate of consumption? I'm asking because I'm curious if there's a way to find a compromise between your answer and nautical_nathaniel's answer.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the answer. If I have Tropical Flakes (Aqueon), can I just continue feeding a CUC after they've finished what's in the tank? In addition, would it be reasonable just to buy a small CUC (2-3 animals per species instead of 5, if it's possible to buy them individually) to reduce the rate of consumption? I'm asking because I'm curious if there's a way to find a compromise between your answer and nautical_nathaniel's answer.
Check out reefcleaners website. They have a good variety and you can pick and choose. A little more expensive due to shipping the smaller amounts though. Great variety. You can supplement feeding once they have cleaned what's there.

Chefbill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC clean up unbeaten food and dead critters mainly. You are your main cleaner. Snails will never keep you clean enough on their own.
CUC in action. Pic is of a dead margarita snail.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back