If you were going to buy a brand new light for your reef RIGHT NOW, which one would you get?

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this will sound crazy - 250 20K MH with actinic LED bars of your choice. I did full LED, LED with T5, LED with actinic bars but in the end for me at least - nothing brings out the best color to my eyes of corals and fish and the best growth than a MH with LED actinic. Now that I move and ready to start a new tank, I have to find enough power for the new system.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from T5s there on there way out. Do your own research if you don't believe me. The UK has already started to ban then. Because of the materials that are in them.
Not true, at least not for the rest of Europe.
They will indeed be phased out for illumination in factories etc but all “specialty uses” such as horticulture, reefing etc are exempt and not affected.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not true, at least not for the rest of Europe.
They will indeed be phased out for illumination in factories etc but all “specialty uses” such as horticulture, reefing etc are exempt and not affected.
It's funny how misinformation spreads like wildfire. Specialty lighting (bulbs/tubes) will be around for a long time. They were saying this about metal halide as well. Someone reads a headline and never bothers to read the details and it's all in the details. Don't fear people, metal halide and T5 bulbs will be around for our hobby to enjoy for a long time.
Sorry, back on topic. Go!

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank build therefore new lights. Three GNC Bluray over an Elos 160xl
6887B675-71D8-4AD6-9666-56AD821EA281.jpeg
Nice branch work!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If cost weren't a factor then it would be several of the Neptune skys. Unfortunately cost is a factor so I'd probably get the new noopsyche fixtures. I've seen some reviews of them recently that show them to have really great spectrum and intensity for the cost. They're still probably better than the Viparspectra lights that I currently use.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably go with phillips coralcare gen 2 and maybe some kessils for shimmer. I intend to do a test in the future with a Fluence physiospec greenhouse ray strip and some reefbreeders actinic/uv bars to see how coverage and growth is compared to other lights. Time will tell.....

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been contemplating getting new lights for my main tank and also my frag tank. I am planning to go with Radion Pro G5.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the new Orphek Atlantik iCon
Don’t know much about them at this point. I like stuff that is tried and true.

Radions grow coral there’s no doubt and their customer service is good.

As far as the ATI Straton’s…two of my friends are running them. @PSXerholic and @reefkpr

Check out the even spread in Reefkpr’s tank:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back