IM 25 Lagoon Build

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Elude82, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Elude82

Elude82 Active Member

I posted this in the Nano section, but figure I would post it here as well, due to more traffic.

Hi, my name is Johnath. I live in the Daytona Beach area, and have been in the Saltwater Commitment for the past 5 years. Just recently I bought a IM 25 Lagoon. I’ve always wanted a low profile tank. And the AIO is appealing as I spend 10-16 hours at work each day.

I’m not a “traditional” hobbyist. I will do things that some will have strong opinions about. (Ex. I don’t do the traditional cycling of tanks.) Also, at times I may have two species in the same tank that normally are frowned upon by keeping them together. I have learned by mistakes, and don’t repeat them.

As I am new to smaller tanks, Invertebrates, and mostly Corals, I welcome all opinions, tips, and shared experiences. I firmly believe in this hobby, shared info is key for everyone’s benefits. If you are the type that snubs your nose, and enjoys other’s failures, please move onto the next post.
    Please refrain from the “I heard this” or “I read that”, I’m looking for the “I’ve done that” or “I’ve tried that”.

For all that want to follow me, and this new journey, thanks. I will be 100% honest in all I do, things I add, and things that may fail. This way, we all can learn, especially if you are interested in the same topics I post about.

Let’s start off by asking:
    1. What is your favorite thing about your smaller tanks?
    2. The most challenging part of your smaller tanks?
    3. And your absolute must-have in your small tank?

Looking forward to this with everyone!!!!
    Thanks in advance IMG_4106.JPG

Tags:

2. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R :) great choice for a tank!

I'll help with your questions:

The compact size makes it very easy to take care in terms of access and time commitment. You also don't have to spend nearly as much to get a full tank.

2. The most challenging part of your smaller tanks?
    The compact size makes things change very fast, so things like ATO units and dosers are very common on mature nano reefs. I only have an ATO but I have to do weekly 5 gallon water changes on my 20 gallon to keep my other parameters from tanking. I don't really does anything besides Acropower occasionally.

Sand and porous live rock. The added biological filtration from high surface area rocks and a live sand bed make things much easier to keep in my experience. Also a goby, preferably a watchman style goby, my favorite is my Randall's Goby :)

Tahoe61 and Elude82 like this.
  3. Elude82

Elude82 Active Member

Yes, Gobies are always great. They are always hard at work. Either watching or sifting. Lol

nautical_nathaniel likes this.
  4. Elude82

Elude82 Active Member

[​IMG]

Sand Check!
    Water Check!

5. Branespikin

Branespikin Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Nice. I just setup same tank. Started the cycle today. Whats your equipment list?

Elude82 likes this.
  6. Branespikin

Oh a must have. Coral box dc2000 return pump. Its perfect. The stock is loud. This one is silent and pushes out water

Elude82 likes this.
  7. Elude82

Elude82 Active Member

Yes, I agree. The stock return is as good as gone. Will use it for the next few days. Replacing it with.....not sure yet. I see some people have put two in their’s. I’d like to stick with one. I was thinking GPH, needs to be at least close to double. I will let you know which one I go with.

Skimmer wise, I am lost. I’ve used reef octopus, and they are great, but for bigger tanks. Since this is a sleek tank, I want something non-intrusive. Something that blends in. I was eyeing the Tunze DC.

For lights, I like the Kessil look, but not too much controllability on the color spectrums. I’m not forking our the money for the Radions either. I am kind of feeling the AI Primes. The reviews I’ve read have been great. And my LFS has all the top brands on their tanks. So previewing then have been easy.

And front the sound of it, with AIO tanks, and ATO system is inevitable. I heard the evaporation rate is pretty high.

8. Elude82

Elude82 Active Member

I will be swapping out one or both socks for filtration. I have live sand, new and from my 90, and live rock from my 90. I have seen a lot of great reviews for the inTank media baskets. Will grab one or two of them. And the filter floss basket if I don’t get two.

9. Branespikin

For return trust me the coral box dc2000 is perfect. Fits like a glove and is a dc pump. I put a smart micro ato to keep it topped off works perfect with new pump. Stock pump fluctuates the water level just enough to throw off the sensor every min or so.
    Skimmer i dont think the tunze will fit. I think people modded it for area where pump goes to fit. I went with Im ghost desktop as its sleek and is perfect fit.
    I had the primes honestly never really liked them much were bit noisy. Kessils A160we traded because are very noisy and needed the controller. I went with hydra 52hd. Awesome light. Id go with hydra 26 or 52 if i were you.
    I bought two intank media reactors. They fit perfect

10. Elude82

Elude82 Active Member

Do you like the Ghost Skimmer. I saw bad reviews. Do you stand behind it.

11. Branespikin

Its new. I just got it wet 2 days ago. Its producing bunch of microbubbles but so does every skimmer till it breaks in. Not really that loud honestly. I cannot give you a opinion yet its too early. I do like that its sleek because its in my office and want everything tidy

Elude82 likes this.
  12. Branespikin

[​IMG][​IMG]

Elude82 likes this.
  13. Elude82

Elude82 Active Member

It looks great so far!

14. Elude82

Elude82 Active Member

[​IMG]

Went with the AI Prime! I’ve never had a light this sophisticated. I feel with what I’m aiming for, this light will provide. A lot to learn and fine tune with this one. I have spent hours looking at it, and having my LFS owner let me demo his.

I put live rock from my 90 in there. I bought two Chromis(which I am not using as Guinea Pigs, and have full confidence will be around for a while) and I took one Damsel from my 90 in there as well.

I don’t plan on Cycling the tank at all. Yes, people will give me back lash, but I’ve always done this, and haven’t had a tank crash yet. Between 50% substrate from my 90. 50% water from my 90. Also, all the rock in it so far from my 90. And a bottle of Fritz Zyme Bacteria(substitute for Smart Start) I am taking he plunge.

15. NewbyReefer11

NewbyReefer11 Member

You seem like an ****.

16. Elude82

Elude82 Active Member

I am.

17. Elude82

Elude82 Active Member

Not really a **** though. I apologize if I come across that way. If it seems like that because of not cycling, I pre-warned I was going to do that. Other than that, don’t know what to tell you.

18. cpschult

cpschult Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Can’t be that sorry.

There are plenty of people who take rock from one tank to start another.

In regards to the fish it seems really silly not to learn from other people’s mistakes, but to each his own. I had a nightmare damsel before, I can’t imagine starting with one in a small tank. I hope yours isn’t aggressive.

Small, easy to do water changes, able to be in my family room and I get to share time on it with my son.

2. The most challenging part of your smaller tanks? So far I haven’t had any real challenging issues. I’m only keeping lps and zoas though.

A leopard wrasse! Marine pure balls as well for pod population.

I’ve got a sicce silent 1.0 as a return pump and two chambers filled with marine pure balls. Outside chambers I’ve got an intank media basket and filter floss holder. Recently got the intank media basket and it doesn’t sit low enough in my tank. Need to research why but both pieces are well made. I do have filter socks I run if people are coming over just to clarify the water a bit.

Fa Any reason in particular you want a skimmer? I’m trying to go without and using macro algae for export.

Good luck!

Elude82 likes this.
  19. Elude82

Elude82 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes, those ******** tend to be very aggressive. The Springeri Damsel in there now is not aggressive. I moved him into the 25 from my 90(he was the weakest link). I don’t plan on keeping him in there for long. I actually put him in there to get a general idea for the rock work. I wanted to ensure there was hiding places, and places to swim through, as I plan on any fish I put in being smaller than him.

I will have to look into the Marine Pure Balls. Not familiar with them. I plan on having the inTank media basket as well. Maybe get the inTank Refugium basket on the either side to run Copepods and algae.

As for the protein Skimmer, I don’t see why not. Pulling any amount of waste, even small can only be beneficial. That’s just my thought.

I have bought a replacement return Pump, not so much that mine was noisy, just has a pathetic flow. Temporarily I have stuck a Sicce Powerhead in there to eliminate dead spots. I would like to run no powerheads for aesthetics, but not sure if that will be.

I am contemplating rearranging the rock work. Not 100% happy so far. Once I start diving into coral, I may do it over again.

As for now, I’m compiling a livestock list. And talking to my LFS for best beginner corals. Since I’m new I want hardy.

20. cpschult

cpschult Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Marine pure balls just add a lot of space for nitrifying bacteria. The pods can grow in and on them. If you don't use a powerhead you will have dead spots. No way to eliminate them.

I went with a bit more rock work than most do in these tanks. I like it.

Elude82 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted