Im trying to get into the Hobby

mkereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get into the hobby of saltwater and coral I have always been interested. I am just wondering good tanks I was thinking around a 30. But just wanna know good brands and tanks.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get into the hobby of saltwater and coral I have always been interested. I am just wondering good tanks I was thinking around a 30. But just wanna know good brands and tanks.
Welcome aboard, starting off with a smaller tank is a good option but also has some drawbacks because if something goes wrong it progresses quickly in a small tank. Check out Innovative Marine all in one small tanks. They have great quality and customer service there. If you decide to go bigger the Red Sea has great reef ready systems to choose.

OP
OP
mkereefer

mkereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, starting off with a smaller tank is a good option but also has some drawbacks because if something goes wrong it progresses quickly in a small tank. Check out Innovative Marine all in one small tanks. They have great quality and customer service there. If you decide to go bigger the Red Sea has great reef ready systems to choose

Welcome aboard, starting off with a smaller tank is a good option but also has some drawbacks because if something goes wrong it progresses quickly in a small tank. Check out Innovative Marine all in one small tanks. They have great quality and customer service there. If you decide to go bigger the Red Sea has great reef ready systems to choose.
What about lighting any suggestions there?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef

For great customer support, lean heavily on a Red Sea tank.

Might want to look into the Reefer 170

Gardnaaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look on your local classifieds like Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, offerup, etc. I was hesitant to take on the saltwater hobby a couple years ago, but I got in pretty cheap with a used setup. I got a 30g innovative marine AIO tank, ai prime light, sand, salt, heater and rock for $150. That got me started, and then I recently just bought an 80g SCA long cube. I recommend starting with all used gear. Also, as dumb as it sounds, find a mentor if possible. I found one on here actually, and he helps me with everything. Couldn’t have done it without him. Good luck with everything and ask questions!

OP
OP
mkereefer

mkereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look on your local classifieds like Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, offerup, etc. I was hesitant to take on the saltwater hobby a couple years ago, but I got in pretty cheap with a used setup. I got a 30g innovative marine AIO tank, ai prime light, sand, salt, heater and rock for $150. That got me started, and then I recently just bought an 80g SCA long cube. I recommend starting with all used gear. Also, as dumb as it sounds, find a mentor if possible. I found one on here actually, and he helps me with everything. Couldn’t have done it without him. Good luck with everything and ask questions!
Ok thanks for the idea will do.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great pricing is up there for the tank do u know if lighting is included.

If you get a Reefer 170 Deluxe, it should Include the Reefled 90.

It’s a very good light.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay i was thinking about just have easy corals like some zoas maybe some others but nothing crazy.

It can do that or hard core sps as well.

If you go that direction, the Reef Octopus Varios 2, would be a great fit for a return pump.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm alright what are some hard core sps. Sorry im still kinda new.

acropora species.

Not matter what you do, you have to slow down and understand / study water chemistry. This is a patient and precise hobby, that demands stability.

Need to use very good test kits, and learn to use them like the backs of your hands. I’ll use API for calcium levels, but other API kits are out.

There are also a lot of stages that a new reef will go through, while it matures and stables out.

Read the sticky threads on the top of this forum, like how to cycle a reef.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about lighting any suggestions there?
On smaller tanks lighting is easier because you only need one fixture. Now if you intend to grow corals instead of a fish only tank then you need a quality full spectrum light that will give the corals the par they need. Typically the tank manufacturer can refer you to the best light set up for their tank.

OP
OP
mkereefer

mkereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acropora species.

Not matter what you do, you have to slow down and understand / study water chemistry. This is a patient and precise hobby, that demands stability.

Need to use very good test kits, and learn to use them like the backs of your hands. I’ll use API for calcium levels, but other API kits are out.

There are also a lot of stages that a new reef will go through, while it matures and stables out.

Read the sticky threads on the top of this forum, like how to cycle a reef.
what about Hanna

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP Smaller tanks are typically all in one systems with the filtration included in the rear of the tank. Medium and larger tanks are typically sump filtration systems where all the water is filtered through the sump at the bottom of the cabinet.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about Hanna

JMO:

Hanna Checkers -3

alkalinity - dKh checker
ulr phosphate ppm checker
hr nitrate checker

Cal - api does the job
Magnesium - AquaForset or Salifert

If limited to one brand - Salifert

OP
OP
mkereefer

mkereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMO:

Hanna Checkers -3

alkalinity - dKh checker
ulr phosphate ppm checker
hr nitrate checker

Cal - api does the job
Magnesium - AquaForset or Salifert

If limited to one brand - Salifert
Ok I know of a place where i can get Hanna so I might just stick to that and I know how to do it.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo brand isn’t that important. Find a tank that’s going to fit into your space well and go from there.

and there is nothing wrong with cheap aqueons from petco to start with or even use for your entire reefing career, they aren’t high quality or a fancy expensive rimless, but if there is no other fancy expensive tank in the room having a rimmed tank is not a detractor in the beauty department if everything else is clean and maintained.

OP
OP
mkereefer

mkereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo brand isn’t that important. Find a tank that’s going to fit into your space well and go from there.

and there is nothing wrong with cheap aqueons from petco to start with or even use for your entire reefing career, they aren’t high quality or a fancy expensive rimless, but if there is no other fancy expensive tank in the room having a rimmed tank is not a detractor in the beauty department if everything else is clean and maintained.
i was thinking about getting a stand to i know not alot of cheeper tanks dont come with them.

AlecV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Red Sea reefer 170 off of Facebook not too long ago for 600. That included return pump, ai light, powerheads, heater and skimmer. I scoured for weeks looking for the right deal and it finally showed up so keep a look out!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back