Imagitarium Algae Reducer and SeaChem Pristine

ZKAqua23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 30 gallon live rock tank and have been experiencing some cloudiness. We have the 2 chemicals in the title, and I used the imagitarium Algae Reducer, but the SeaChem Pristine was what I used last time and it seemed to work. Can both of these be used or should I perform a water change and allow the Imagitarium to filter out more before I use the SeaChem Pristine?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudiness can be caused by many things. Algae blooms, bacteria blooms, other byproducts of biological processes and contaminants. Some are normal especially early on and just a bit of patience is required for it to pass as it's just a symptom of tank maturing.

Algaecides are a mixed blessing. Sometimes they work really well (and may be the only things that work), other times they can work too well and damage beneficial/desirable organisms. If it works for you great, but just be aware. To me they are the "nuclear option" only used when all else fails and tank needs to be corrected to survive. Right before the "tank reset" option.

Products that add bacteria can work as well and IMO if used properly have less negative side effects. Doesn't mean they're better. Every tool has a purpose. But this would work by consuming nutrients that are causing your cloudiness or out competing organisms that are causing it.

If it was my tank and already mature...I'd start with non-additives. Run a good quality GAC and water changes (you may have done that already). Make sure you're feeding good quality food in appropriate amounts and have a good CUC. If that's done, make sure your nutrient control is sufficient for tank. If all that's checked I'd go with non-toxic additives. If the bacteria dosing works, I'd stick with it before getting into algaecides.

So to your question. Could you use them together? Sure - but adding multiple additives at one time for correcting an issue can be detrimental to tank unless you've really done your research. Always best to make sure the basics are managed before going with any corrective additives.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back