Indo coral coming off skeleton

aliceswonderland1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bf has a torch and all I know is that its indo. Not sure how to post pics, but it is coming off the skeleton and I think there's something wrong with it. I'm new to this obviously so
20200411_114602.jpg
Thank you!

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The term for a coral Polyp separating from the skeleton is usually referred to as Polyp bailout, and is most often caused by stressors of one kind or another. Is it a new addition? If not, do you know if there have been any changes to the tank such as new lighting, different water flow, water parameter swings, other things dying etc?

Omarons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in the tank ?
mare you feeding it ?
did you try changing location ? Anything stinging it ?
What are your water parameters ?

OP
OP
A

aliceswonderland1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's had it over a yr, it was the first coral he got and other than a little moving around, no changes that I know of. This happened to another coral that ended up detaching completely and died. Everything else is healthy

OP
OP
A

aliceswonderland1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in the tank ?
mare you feeding it ?
did you try changing location ? Anything stinging it ?
What are your water parameters ?
He tests it regularly and always telling me his parameters are perfect. He makes his own water and keeps it very clean. He gives them reef roids and a frozen ordeal that they all go nuts over.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you happen to know what the calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate numbers are that would be helpful.

Also would be curious on flow and what type of light over the tank and settings. Torches in my experience prefer a little more flow.

I also personally keep my torch in around 130 PAR. If we know the light make and model, how high off the water and settings your running we may be able to get you an idea of what par your torch is under and if it is to much or to little.

Also after watching the video it appears you have enough flow but it all comes from one direction. Sometimes if flow comes from one side all the time it can rip flesh off on the side that is always toward the flow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aliceswonderland1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He tests it daily multiple times and makes his own water to make sure levels are perfect at all times. There's flow and unsure what type of light. I'll attach pics and video

Attachments

• 20200411_123557.mp4
    69.7 MB
  • 20200411_123910.mp4
    48.2 MB
  • 20200411_124131.mp4
    97.5 MB

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe this is your light. BRS did a really good break down on setting recently. Just would want to make sure your not to high or to low for expected PAR. If its to bright you can trigger polyp bailout because it wants to get away from the excess light.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back