Indonesia Situation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One other thing to keep in mind. When I do these shipments from Indonesia, I must put together at a minimum 600kg of product to ship, this is required by the airline I use, each ailrline is different. To maximize freight costs and other fees that remain the same despite shipment size, I fill an airline container. That is usually 45 boxes of livestock, can be 1000-1200 corals. Shipments of this size filled with premium hand picked corals cost many tens of thousands of dollars, you could buy a really nice new car for the cost. These funds are forwarded to the exporter before the shipment is packed. I'm not sure I'd want to be one of the first Guinea pig to try a shipment only to have no HC issued and my money is sitting in someone else's bank account.

I have seen allot of Indo corals for-sale lately where do you think they are coming from? I just saw one here the other day.
It has been closed pretty long now for them to have been siting in quarantine or still be at wholesaler.
Are they lying trying to capitalize on the indo ban?

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen allot of Indo corals for-sale lately where do you think they are coming from? I just saw one here the other day.
It has been closed pretty long now for them to have been siting in quarantine or still be at wholesaler.
Are they lying trying to capitalize on the indo ban?

Could be from Malaysia, or still could be from Indonesia and had been sitting around, I still have some colonies here from previous shipments. There was a rumor some time back that there might have been some smuggling in fish shipments. Fish exports have still been allowed. I seriously doubt someone would he foolish enough to smuggle with the strong potential of federal prison time, but at least one of my contacts was convinced at the time. Rumors abound!

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the updates! If they do open again, how do you see that going? With previous posts, it sounds like a lot of the facilities have shut down and people have left. Will it take some time to get people and get the facilities up and running again?

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the updates! If they do open again, how do you see that going? With previous posts, it sounds like a lot of the facilities have shut down and people have left. Will it take some time to get people and get the facilities up and running again?

I think some individuals may have moved on and certainly there will be a period needed to stock up again and obtain permits, etc. So far, I have not heard about any rules changes, but that may be yet to determine. My suppliers that are moving forward say they should be able to ship within a couple weeks. I don't know if that's a fact or just them being overly optimistic. Others say let's not get too excited yet!

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought coral collection/export is ban in Malaysia ...?

Exports are allowed from Malaysia. It's not as big an industry there as in Indonesia. I've looked into it from one exporter, but they do not have much quota left and not sure when they will get more. Plus, corals are collected in northern Borneo and then shipped to Kuala Lumpur thus adding significant time to the overall transit time and, at least so far for this exporter, causing significant mortality to an unacceptable level for me to consider seriously.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exports are allowed from Malaysia. It's not as big an industry there as in Indonesia. I've looked into it from one exporter, but they do not have much quota left and not sure when they will get more. Plus, corals are collected in northern Borneo and then shipped to Kuala Lumpur thus adding significant time to the overall transit time and, at least so far for this exporter, causing significant mortality to an unacceptable level for me to consider seriously.

That's where I was born Sabah and I think I know which part of northern Borneo you're talking about. Those local collectors have no experience or knowledge in packing & handling of corals.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where I was born Sabah and I think I know which part of northern Borneo you're talking about.

Yes, that's correct, they collect near Sabah.

I think with the shutdown from Indonesia they have been inundated with requests and seem none to eager to entertain more.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for a fact there's a location where's there's a huge abundance of corals ... I need to visit my hometown and check out the guys. Maybe I could make calls to couple of people from the proper authorities ... I used to work for the local government (Dept. of Agriculture & Fisheries) right after high school :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for keeping us updated Dr. Mac!

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience in diving or collection, but I was just thinking:

Is any thought being given to investigating other places? I don't know how the governments would feel about controlled collection, but places like Ethiopia, Mauritius, Eritrea and Indonesia's neighbor, East Timor have beautiful diverse reefs. The later has an island of Atauro, where it is said that the most diverse reef in the world exists. I have never been there, but I have met East Timorese, and Eritreans and heard of their reefs. If we began somewhere new, without ever using destructive practices, could we illustrate with example, that sustainable collection can be beneficial both locally and globally? Just a thought.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience in diving or collection, but I was just thinking:

Is any thought being given to investigating other places? I don't know how the governments would feel about controlled collection, but places like Ethiopia, Mauritius, Eritrea and Indonesia's neighbor, East Timor have beautiful diverse reefs. The later has an island of Atauro, where it is said that the most diverse reef in the world exists. I have never been there, but I have met East Timorese, and Eritreans and heard of their reefs. If we began somewhere new, without ever using destructive practices, could we illustrate with example, that sustainable collection can be beneficial both locally and globally? Just a thought.

This is off topic, but seems to come up regularly.

Most areas do not allow collection and export.

I am in the process of setting up a new mariculture farm in a different area of the world, with the welcoming of the local government. It will be true multi generation mariculture. Will be starting late Oct. or early Nov.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the update Dr. Mac. Hopefully the information you're receiving is accurate and goes the way of optimism. What has happened since May with all the growing mariculture? Have they been maintained for the duration. I understand mother nature is ongoing but these mariculture grow out colonies should be larger then normal, wouldn't you say?

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the update Dr. Mac. Hopefully the information you're receiving is accurate and goes the way of optimism. What has happened since May with all the growing mariculture? Have they been maintained for the duration. I understand mother nature is ongoing but these mariculture grow out colonies should be larger then normal, wouldn't you say?

Indeed, the mariculture pieces continue to grow and some of the places have less workers in an attempt cut costs to survive. I'm sure they will recall workers and start to cut and regroup once official word is given that exports are allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back