Indonesia Situation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another confirmation from a local importer that his Indonesian source says the ban is still in place. Apparently there's a single group still to sign off on the lift of the ban, but I couldn't figure out which group that is.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm told the exporter's association will be issuing an official public statement at any moment. I haven't seen anything yet. I hope they address some things such as why this occured and lasted 5 months and what they are doing to change to prevent it from happening again. Will the association be regulating itself better in the future and booting those that don't follow the rules? I hope its not just business as usual. I hope they realize the change in the worldwide political climate and the demand toward sustainable mariculture/aquaculture. I say political because the reality and the perception of our industry are not the same and so we must make movement to appease the perception.

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm told the exporter's association will be issuing an official public statement at any moment. I haven't seen anything yet. I hope they address some things such as why this occured and lasted 5 months and what they are doing to change to prevent it from happening again. Will the association be regulating itself better in the future and booting those that don't follow the rules? I hope its not just business as usual. I hope they realize the change in the worldwide political climate and the demand toward sustainable mariculture/aquaculture. I say political because the reality and the perception of our industry are not the same and so we must make movement to appease the perception.
Even though the ban is lifted, with the quake it will still be a while before we get tonsee any new shipments right??

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that the ban is lifted
That ban pales in comparison to what has occurred and the devastation they are currently dealing with. Yes its great news that exports will resume but we all should be helping the People that do the work that we all enjoy.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That ban pales in comparison to what has occurred and the devastation they are currently dealing with. Yes its great news that exports will resume but we all should be helping the People that do the work that we all enjoy.
Couldn't agree more. Its great news for all in the hobby but let's not forget what's happening. I'm sure it'll be some time before things return to normal, and for some it may never. Im sure there will be nobody on this forum who intentionally forgets the pain the locals are going through, But we should be a little attentive to our choice of thoughts. I'm sure everyone will be happy at the end of this terrible situation. Keep hope guys.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OFF TOPIC and my apologies Dr. Mac but since you're pretty well connected with the Indonesian people and politics, is there a way R2R can start some kind of fund to provide aid for the people of Indonesia? This great news if accurate is somewhat anticlimactic with recent events over there

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The earthquake and aftermath may affect to some small degree the collection of some corals. My sources say most collection was not done within the affected area. For the folks there, in other areas of Indonesia that are quite a distance from the affected area, the industry folks are eager to begin getting an income again after 5 months of zero income. Not being there on the ground at this moment it's difficult for us to understand the situation there. Indonesia is spread over a large area and the area affected by the earthquake is in a relatively small area. Since news of the lifting of the ban is very new I don't know that even the exporters know the true impact of the earthquake and aftermath yet. The exporters are located in Jakarta or Bali and Sulawesi is some distance from those locations. I know for me personally, it will be some time before I actually go there and hand-pick since I need to wait until my suppliers get all the permits in place and have some ultra grade stock. I always go there and pick my own stock.

As far a donating funds to send there, my recommendation is to look at who ever you decide to send money to as far as the organization's percentage that actually goes to victims. I've heard the Red Cross is there and helping the folks affected, but I think thats different from the American Red Cross. When dealing with a place like Indonesia you would be well advised to be cautious about who you give money to if you want it to actually help the folks affected. I'll ask my contacts and see what they say.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this mean that CITES permits are being issued again as well?

CITES permits were never affected, only health certificates--which are needed to get a shipment on the plane. They are not required to import into the US, but are in other countries.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well..... Seems like it is official. That statement has been made public!!!!!

Where have you seen anything official?
If you are talking reef builders they are getting ripped on because they are the one that said there wasn't a ban when this started.
Now technically it wasn't a ban.

I do believe it is over but I have seen nothing official yet but that does not mean there hasn't either been something official.
Still there are conflicting reports.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where have you seen anything official?
If you are talking reef builders they are getting ripped on because they are the one that said there wasn't a ban when this started.
Now technically it wasn't a ban.

I do believe it is over but I have seen nothing official yet but that does not mean there hasn't either been something official.
Still there are conflicting reports.

I saw the official statement on Aquanerd. I later saw it on Reefbuilders. I could see them getting ripped on because you are correct they were the ones saying that it was just a temporary halt and not a ban. Granted to me and the store that I work I didn't care what you called it, the bottom line was the coral selection certainly dwindled down.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CITES permits were never affected, only health certificates--which are needed to get a shipment on the plane. They are not required to import into the US, but are in other countries.

If this is the case, why couldn't they export to the US?

And technically, "we" could have gone to Indonesia and buy corals with CITES export licenses and bring them on the plane with us to the US, provided that the US did not need health certificates.

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know if there is an US equivalent of the Disasters Emergency Committee (https://www.dec.org.uk/)? When I lived in the UK this was how I contributed when these events happened, but a google search came up short for a US version. They are very transparent about how and where donations are spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back