Indonesia Situation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this be due to the health certificates or for another reason yet to be announced? Thanks again for all your input on this matter, you’ve really helped shine some light on what’s going on.

As far as I'm being told it still comes down to health certificates. Same old problem despite parliament saying the trade is good to go. Sounds to me like some political posturing and pressure was made to bear and didn't work out as planned. I think the forces to stop exports forever are very powerful. As I've said for a long time no one really knows and this could open tomorrow or never. However, it seems that now both sides have dug in and the divide may be worse than before, but that's my take on it and I'm a long distance away. I have a friend that's on the ground now and hope he can find some solid news in the coming days.

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
As far as I'm being told it still comes down to health certificates. Same old problem despite parliament saying the trade is good to go. Sounds to me like some political posturing and pressure was made to bear and didn't work out as planned. I think the forces to stop exports forever are very powerful. As I've said for a long time no one really knows and this could open tomorrow or never. However, it seems that now both sides have dug in and the divide may be worse than before, but that's my take on it and I'm a long distance away. I have a friend that's on the ground now and hope he can find some solid news in the coming days.

Well as I said your input is greatly appreciated. Keep us posted with any new information or updates you may receive!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, obviously we were all hoping that the shipment would go through. Thanks for the update.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Info is sketchy as it has been all along. I'm being told there was to be a significant effort being made to insure everything was legit and no shenanigans were being played. I don't know if that is true or if something was found to be wrong or simply still no health certificates were being issued. Still sounds like things are clear as mud.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tenor.gif

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a shame that the maricultured coral farms are lumped in with this export ban. Maybe some of the farms were skirting around the rules as to what constituted cultured vs. wild, but there are many legit players too and to shut it all down does a great disservice to the legit guys and all their employees.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, My contact has said that Indo is still closed and nothing has changed.

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a shame that the maricultured coral farms are lumped in with this export ban. Maybe some of the farms were skirting around the rules as to what constituted cultured vs. wild, but there are many legit players too and to shut it all down does a great disservice to the legit guys and all their employees.

Wow...beautiful

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, My contact has said that Indo is still closed and nothing has changed.

And the vendors I've spoken to said CITES is being renewed and that's all that everyone is waiting for.

I think it's safe to say we shouldn't put faith in anything.. Since all sources we have that are considered reliable, have completely different information, we should be prepared to wait.

This typically means everyone is BS'ing one another or going off pure rumors. Perhaps exporters are telling importers what they want to hear so they don't get forgotten, as other area's and reefs are opening up for export. Too hard to guess. I would err on the side of don't believe anything, for now.

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CITES isn't the issue, problem as stated in the thread is the health certificates that allow the corals onto airplanes for transport.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CITES isn't the issue, problem as stated in the thread is the health certificates that allow the corals onto airplanes for transport.

Correct. HC also needed to transport within Indonesia, so they can't get the corals from the source and farms to the shipping hubs.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, that's my point -- Everybody is saying it's something different.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People should assume it's never coming back, or not coming back soon. It's foolish to assume that such a grandiose gesture would be looked at with impunity.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People should assume it's never coming back, or not coming back soon. It's foolish to assume that such a grandiose gesture would be looked at with impunity.

I think you are greatly underestimating how much money the industry brings Indo. Indonesia wants it back, it's hurting coastal communities, and it helped slow down illegal fishing operations, as well as grow out reefs made by the likes of Walt Smith and others.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are greatly underestimating how much money the industry brings Indo. Indonesia wants it back, it's hurting coastal communities, and it helped slow down illegal fishing operations, as well as grow out reefs made by the likes of Walt Smith and others.
I don't care how much money it brings Indonesia, if they're willing to shoot their own foot (as proof - they are willing to shoot their own foot) then we should not expect different results.

The problem here is plain politics and has nothing to do with our lovely hobby.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yall, please don't get the thread locked again
My intent was to be blunt. I am one of the people keeping a close eye on the situation because I'm genuinely concerned.

That being said, I appreciate the diligence of everyone updating - as I wouldn't have some of the information that I have otherwise.

I'm simply attempting to let people know that they should be expecting the worst and be surprised if that's not the play-out scenario.

Unfortunately we don't have an Indonesian NATIVE to update on the economic impact or to obtain a straight answer.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there have been some discussion in various threads about the subject, this article is a good summary. When word of the shut down came overnight a couple months ago, the next day an article was circulated that there was no ban, so I'm not sure how many hobbyists are aware of the situation.

No one in Indonesia has a clear view of the path forward, I'm in correspondence with 6 exporters I regularly visit there and each one has a different story. At the recent RAP NY I spoke with numerous industry "insiders" that all had the definitive story, each different, so no one really knows and rumors are rampant.

This thread is just informational and not intended to start a debate on the subject--there are other threads already on this forum about those subjects if you care look into them and get heated. I just thought maybe some folks may not be aware and might have some interest in the subject.

Guys this was the original intent of this thread. The OP/Vendor has asked multiple times to keep the thread on topic, and this thread is here for the OP/Vendor to give the information he has obtained through his contacts about this situation. He has asked multiple times to keep this thread clean and debate free and that should really be respected. Unless you have specific information you can source, please respect the wishes of the op/vendor in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back