Indonesia Situation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Still no corals, cultured or wild collected, flowing in from Indonesia. Still tons of rumors of every type and scenario. Checking, verifying, debunking would be a full time job.

One of my suppliers sent me info about an upcoming conference:
https://ourocean2018.org

The conference is a fact, my supplier's comments are opinion, but opinion of someone in the trenches every day and someone intimately involved and has had zero income for past 6 months, the duration so far of the ban.

My supplier's concern is this (their words, not mine):

"Tell your australians friends to somehow be awared of whats going to Susi convey next week in Our Ocean Legacy, Bali 28-30 October

Tell them to talk with their country’s representative whos coming here. I think Susi is going to launch agenda which is banning coral trade all over the world. She will ask australian fiji and other coral exporters to stop exports and make commitment there.

She keeps saying in media over past days that at this event there has to be solid commitment, and one of her agenda mentioned in website is about preservation of coral reef.

I hope its not, tho!"

I looked at the info about this conference and it appears to be the fifth such event. No speakers are listed yet. We should all be in favor of saving the reefs, but not at the cost of shutting down our industry and hobby. Mariculture and aquaculture can be done sustainably with no impact on wild reefs. Bans that include mariculture and aquaculture are detrimental to their stated agenda of saving the reefs. Their agenda is not actually saving the reefs! Be wary of those asking for donations to save the reefs or restore the reefs, etc. I see many such requests poping up all over. Their sites are slick, their requests seem in ernest, but watch what you are donating to. For one they may be funding shutting down our industry and hobby, or secondly and more likely, feeding someone's pocket.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susi_Pudjiastuti

"On 26 October 2014, President Joko Widodo appointed Pudjiastuti as Minister of Marine Affairs and Fisheries under his 2014-2019 working cabinet. Prior to accepting her appointment, Pudjiastuti relinquished her position as President Director of PT ASI Pudjiastuti Marine Product and PT ASI Pudjiastuti Aviation.[16]

She inherited an agency in danger of being eliminated. Foreign fishing boats regularly encroached on Indonesian waters surrounding the archipelago's 17,500 islands. She impounded hundreds of foreign fishing boats and then blew them up. Since taking office, most of the 10,000 foreign fishing boats preying on Indonesia's biodiversity have quit Indonesian waters. From 2013–2017 fishing stocks have more than doubled on her watch.[17][18]

On 16 September 2016, WWF awarded her the Leaders for a Living Planet Award. This is in recognition of her efforts as Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries in promoting sustainable development in the Indonesian fisheries sector and conservation of the marine ecosystem, as well as her fierce crackdown on illegal fishing in Indonesian waters.[19]

According to a study published in the journal Nature, Susi's aggressive anti-illegal fishing policies have "reduced total fishing effort by at least 25%, (...) [potentially] generate a 14% increase in catch and a 12% increase in profit."[20]"

What's the quote? "Hell hath no fury..." Well, obviously this woman is in control and on a crusade here. Will take some heat for this, but women are not known for operating out of place of logic and reason. RIP Indo Corals... =(

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally in this industry, if you want it done, you do it yourself, at least thats what I do.

In 2006 I helped start a mariculture farm in the Solomon Islands. That eventually ended because the government there is unstable leading to a lack of western investments and irregular, at best, flights out. No regular flights equals no regular reliable freight movement and thus no corals coming from there. The station is now shut down in the Solomons. If someone had the resources and where with all they could look into getting an export permit and could quickly be producing cultured corals because all the villagers, corals, and supplies are still there. A warehouse and tanks to house them would be needed. No small investment and with uncertainty if an export permit could be gotten, not likely for anyone to be moving on that incredible resource.

IMG_0988-1_zpsqvazveaz.jpg

I and others are looking into the Solomons again. In the meantime, a very small group and I are seriously looking into starting a mariculture farm in another island nation. We are propecting there in November and hope to have corals flowing maybe in 6 months or so. We'll see how that goes. My focus is on sustainable culture, that is the only way forward and must be done with the full support of local governments.

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally in this industry, if you want it done, you do it yourself, at least thats what I do.

My focus is on sustainable culture, that is the only way forward and must be done with the full support of local governments.
I thank you for going to these great lengths to promote and sustain a more responsible way forward in the hobby by promoting the use of aquaculture/mariculture. This helps solve the slaughter of our reefs and makes the hobby grow leaps and bounds from the "flower picking method" that we have all seen.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are groups, but thus far from my experience they seem more about padding their pockets than actually doing much. I don't really know much about all the so-called restoration groups. As far as trade groups, none that I know of that promotes mariculture/aquaculture.

You have to remember that this is a very competitive industry and so many of the folks involved were hobbyists turning a love of a hobby into their livelihoods or side jobs in many instances. If its a sideline job for extra income that does not translate often into mobilizing for action. Most folks feel that their private collection and trading and buying among each can fuel their needs. Often forgetting where those corals actually originated from.

Our industry/hobby seems more about lone wolves than organizing for a cause or need. A lot of it is egos, this industry has mega sized egos and everyone knows somebody or says they have the golden egg. So, consequently not much coop among competitors. At least that's my experience. There very well might be something else I'm unaware of.

I understand the coral guys and small retailers, But the ORA"s Petco"s Marinland Ecothech and fish importers, whole salers as well as the coralvew"s Kessil and so many BIG boys in the industry here, Europe and even China and Japan need to legitimize this as a commodity otherwise our grand children will not have the opportunity we all have and the Tree Huggers who are well organized and funded will outlaw all things reef because live food is living and has rights.:confused:;Wacky See PITA and live bait (worms)
Its crazy a Go Fund Me can raze a Half a Mill for a homeless guy but this INDUSTRY cant get there $.#.!.T together.........BTW..what does MACNA do other than puffing out their chests?

Maybe we all need to purchase Knock offs from alibaba so the Equipment manufactures, distributors and retailers step up.

SORRY about the rant Doc but some one has to say it!.....You and Walt cant do it alone.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thank you for going to these great lengths to promote and sustain a more responsible way forward in the hobby by promoting the use of aquaculture/mariculture. This helps solve the slaughter of our reefs and makes the hobby grow leaps and bounds from the "flower picking method" that we have all seen.

Thanks. But, the reefs are not being "slaughtered".

I think mariculture/aquaculture is the way forward and am putting my energy and resources toward that direction, but wild collection has negligible effect on a constantly renewing resource.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the coral guys and small retailers, But the ORA"s Petco"s Marinland Ecothech and fish importers, whole salers as well as the coralvew"s Kessil and so many BIG boys in the industry here, Europe and even China and Japan need to legitimize this as a commodity otherwise our grand children will not have the opportunity we all have and the Tree Huggers who are well organized and funded will outlaw all things reef because live food is living and has rights.:confused:;Wacky See PITA and live bait (worms)
Its crazy a Go Fund Me can raze a Half a Mill for a homeless guy but this INDUSTRY cant get there $.#.!.T together.........BTW..what does MACNA do other than puffing out their chests?

Maybe we all need to purchase Knock offs from alibaba so the Equipment manufactures, distributors and retailers step up.

SORRY about the rant Doc but some one has to say it!.....You and Walt cant do it alone.

As they say, follow the money! Before I would give a dime to any so-called charity or reef cause I'd want to see legit documentation on how the money is being spent, what percentage goes to the actual cause?

The golden rule: listen to half and believe none unless you see it yourself when it comes to this industry.

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. But, the reefs are not being "slaughtered".

I think mariculture/aquaculture is the way forward and am putting my energy and resources toward that direction, but wild collection has negligible effect on a constantly renewing resource.
I will agree to disagree so I will not comment anymore.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Speaking of knock offs, I'm surprised with the way Indonesia politics seem to operate and how easily palms might be greased that somebody hasn't 'taken care' of this issue with the Susi minister. Not at all advocating anything extrajudicial, but just surprising seeing the way people operate in these kinds of less than corruption free governmental systems. Seems like we're up against more than anyone in the industry is able or willing to overcome at the moment, short of some political maneuvering whether on the up and up or not within that gov't.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Mac is right about the industry. I was an industry insider, but a very small one, from 1986 until about 2006. I think that is long enough to see the Ego problems for what they are. I remember Peter Hagen telling me "they owned Canada" and were going to do the same in the United States. I just blinked and walked away. I have seen many players come and go and I finally left the industry. The vertical integration from distribution to manufacturing to livestock wholesale and retail that has happened has further weakened the industry. Now you have one or two companies that control retail, wholesale, manufacturing and livestock distribution but they will not lift a finger to help out the supply problems...they are the supply chain from start to finish and they relish the elimination of competition. No one cares about the supply as long as they get theirs. So much self interest and so little support for the actual hobby. PIJAC and other industry organizations will come and go but no one is willing to take the steps necessary to provide a healthy supply chain for the industry. The industry has no lobby firms or efforts to protect itself from this predatory government intrusion into our sustainable supply chain. Just look at logging, mining, hydro power generation and you will see the end game for the pet industry as a whole and aquaculture in particular. The aquarium industry is going to be limited to what smaller operations can grow and provide until their voice is silenced by regulation or lack of sustainable sales. Let's face it there are lots of ways to make a living but the pet industry is one of the harder ones.

I left due to the elimination of supply for acrylics when NAFTA was instituted and all the acrylic manufactures moved to Mexico. Quality and supply plummeted and the supply chain dried up. Still to this day I cannot buy quality acrylic sheet from the distribution channel in the western United States. I would have to buy at volumes that make it crazy to speculate on. Glass is not much better with import sheet from China. So I just sit on the sidelines and watch the industry contract.

I realize I have no answers but lots of questions. Thank you Dr. Mac for keeping us informed. I wish you all the best as you attempt to create a new supply chain. If I knew how to help I would.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Mac is right about the industry. I was an industry insider, but a very small one, from 1986 until about 2006. I think that is long enough to see the Ego problems for what they are. I remember Peter Hagen telling me "they owned Canada" and were going to do the same in the United States. I just blinked and walked away. I have seen many players come and go and I finally left the industry. The vertical integration from distribution to manufacturing to livestock wholesale and retail that has happened has further weakened the industry. Now you have one or two companies that control retail, wholesale, manufacturing and livestock distribution but they will not lift a finger to help out the supply problems...they are the supply chain from start to finish and they relish the elimination of competition. No one cares about the supply as long as they get theirs. So much self interest and so little support for the actual hobby. PIJAC and other industry organizations will come and go but no one is willing to take the steps necessary to provide a healthy supply chain for the industry. The industry has no lobby firms or efforts to protect itself from this predatory government intrusion into our sustainable supply chain. Just look at logging, mining, hydro power generation and you will see the end game for the pet industry as a whole and aquaculture in particular. The aquarium industry is going to be limited to what smaller operations can grow and provide until their voice is silenced by regulation or lack of sustainable sales. Let's face it there are lots of ways to make a living but the pet industry is one of the harder ones.

I left due to the elimination of supply for acrylics when NAFTA was instituted and all the acrylic manufactures moved to Mexico. Quality and supply plummeted and the supply chain dried up. Still to this day I cannot buy quality acrylic sheet from the distribution channel in the western United States. I would have to buy at volumes that make it crazy to speculate on. Glass is not much better with import sheet from China. So I just sit on the sidelines and watch the industry contract.

I realize I have no answers but lots of questions. Thank you Dr. Mac for keeping us informed. I wish you all the best as you attempt to create a new supply chain. If I knew how to help I would.

Thanks for your comments.

If the current pipeline from Australia is restricted or closed then watch out, it will get crazy quickly.

Whether a new source of cultured corals develops or not will come down to economics. I'm not someone that would set up a phony so-called not for profit to fund it. Either myself and the group involved can do it or not.

oddomatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Parliaments previous comments about trade being good to go essentially meant nothing?

Reef Lounge Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Parliaments previous comments about trade being good to go essentially meant nothing?

According to our direct sources, they still need to have a few meetings about the coral situation. Still very foggy. If the ban was lifted we would've had our first Indo shipment in months already :(

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Mac @PacificEastAquaculture , thanks for the update. Also, thanks for posting your adventures. (more would be great. One small suggestion: when you have multi-part stories, it'd be nice to have a link to go directly to the next part at the end of the article, rather than have to go back, refresh the page, and navigate to the next story :D )

Your article about the Solomons is particulary interesting: you said Marau, a small lagoon/bay in the Solomons, has "enough corals in this one location to supply the worldwide reef hobby for 20 or more years!". And that they want to do mariculture, but logistics (they are really way off in the middle of nowhere) and government stability make it impossible for them to bring their farmed corals to the world market. A pity, because as I've argued elsewhere, it's simple human nature for many people to not value what they don't understand and what does not have tangible benefit.
https://pacificeastaquaculture.com/...he-solomon-islands/the-ladies-of-marau-part-5

Finally, thanks for the maxima you sold me. It's doing well. :D Are your maximas from French Polynesia still?

Last edited by a moderator:

Az reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PacificEastAquaculture can you make an invite only thread for this subject please? I would like to keep informed on any uodates to this, yet not have to read through all the banter amongst others. Again, thanks for all you do!!

Dan Rigle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this hobby used to be relaxing and fun. I think some want to turn it into something else. I'm a old dog, and my opinion is worth only the 2 cents I charge for it so take it or leave it. Dr Mac, you are still respected by me and have been for a couple decades. Since I bought one of my first acro colonies from you that I propagated for many years, passing many seeds all over creation. I appreciate you Doc, and keep doin what you do. Thumbs up sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back