Inkbird ITC-306T problem?

markysgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have an Inkbird ITC-306T set up on my tank with 2 300w Finnex titanium heaters.
The probe is in my refugium.
I cannot get this thing to be stable in my system now matter what I do!
I have it set to 77 degrees, I check the display on it at least once a day and it sometimes says that the probe is 77 and other times it's as low as 75. The display fluctuates between 71&73.
All I can do is scratch my head, does anyone have any experience with this controller?

Angrywalnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The default I believe is a 2 degree temp swing. The lowest adjustable swing when using fahrenheit is 1.0 degree. When using Celsius its adjustable to .1C which is about .18 degrees. That being said I have mine set for .2c differential and it still varies by about .7 degrees F. Sometimes its .4 degrees sometimes .7
Mine is within .1 degree of a calibrated Apex probe. Maybe the tank
thermometer is off?

OP
OP
markysgirl

markysgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The default I believe is a 2 degree temp swing. The lowest adjustable swing when using fahrenheit is 1.0 degree. When using Celsius its adjustable to .1C which is about .18 degrees. That being said I have mine set for .2c differential and it still varies by about .7 degrees F. Sometimes its .4 degrees sometimes .7
thermometer is off?
The thermometer I am using is a digital meat thermometer.
When I put it in my 10 gallon QT tank it says 77 degrees. I have a super cheap 50w heater in the QT tank and have it set on 77.
My DT doesn't feel like it is 77 degrees.... I know my arm is probably not a reliable thermometer but I've had it in MANY 77 gallon tanks of water ;)

ConorBishop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same make and model controller and am having the exact same issue. Mine is set for 80.F and my differential setting is 1.0 degree but it fluctuates between a range of 3 degrees so can go as low as 77.F so the temp isn’t a problem as of yet but the instability is frustrating. I’d love to know how to fix this too

JP Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is your display? Heaters aren't instantaneous. It is possible that the controller is turning on your heater, but the capacity isn't enough to start turning temperature until the temp has dropped another degree or 2.

ConorBishop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is your display? Heaters aren't instantaneous. It is possible that the controller is turning on your heater, but the capacity isn't enough to start turning temperature until the temp has dropped another degree or 2.

I thought that but it can’t be. My tank is large but as the controller shows 3 degrees under but still the heaters themselves aren’t turned on. They seem to have a mind of their own

OP
OP
markysgirl

markysgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display tank is 75g and the sump holds 20. I turned the heater up a degree to 78 and now everything has pretty much evened out. I guess it needed a month to regulate?! :oops:

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally had my probe in my sump and noticed my display was always cooler and fluctuated. I found that placing the probe in my display fixed the problem. My house is cold right now so I am thinking that played a part in the temp difference too.

reefofthenorth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this would help or not but I would ensure that you have the heater temp set higher than the set temp on the controller. I have the same controller and it maintains a constant 78 degrees F (1 degree differential). I use two 125watt Ehiem heaters for my JBJ 45. I set the Ehiem heaters to 80 degrees so that the controller never has conflicting issues with the internal thermostat on the heaters. Perhaps the heaters think the water is warmer than it is and refuse to turn on even when the controller is sending power?

ConorBishop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this would help or not but I would ensure that you have the heater temp set higher than the set temp on the controller. I have the same controller and it maintains a constant 78 degrees F (1 degree differential). I use two 125watt Ehiem heaters for my JBJ 45. I set the Ehiem heaters to 80 degrees so that the controller never has conflicting issues with the internal thermostat on the heaters. Perhaps the heaters think the water is warmer than it is and refuse to turn on even when the controller is sending power?
Think I was being dumb. Tried setting the heaters themselves above controller temp and it seems to be less erratic. Thank you

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same issue, set at 78 with 1 degree variable and my tank hits 76. Prob is in the display and it's a 200 watt heater set to 80 in my aio return section.

pippol01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ITC 306 T ink-bird heater controller using on my 32 gals. bio-cube tank . I'm having similar problems as other people where I have it set to 78 -79 degrees DS 1 but I'm getting readings like 74.5 degree. Any suggestions? Also If I buy the 306A do I need to use 2 heaters of can I use one? ( I currently use the 125W aheim titanium heater)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ITC 306 T ink-bird heater controller using on my 32 gals. bio-cube tank . I'm having similar problems as other people where I have it set to 78 -79 degrees DS 1 but I'm getting readings like 74.5 degree. Any suggestions? Also If I buy the 306A do I need to use 2 heaters of can I use one? ( I currently use the 125W aheim titanium heater)

set the heater to the lowest differential.

No your don’t need two heaters but it’s probably best to have two incase one fails then the other will still be heating the tank.

Saab95conv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thermometer is off?
I can't get heaters to work when I plug into inkbird? Why?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get heaters to work when I plug into inkbird? Why?
If the heaters have their own built in thermostats, they could be turned down too low, try turning them up.

Also try the heaters without the Inkbird, see where the issue is.

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue after about 12 months. I replaced it with an Inkbird 306A which has been much more stable.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back