My First Build: 75 Gallon

markysgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been researching, collecting equipment, and researching, and collecting equipment, and now am finally ready to get this show on the road!!!
I've included a photo of the back of my 75. I got it painted this last week and I'm hoping the hubs can get to drilling it for me later this week.
I have a Synergy Reef Shadow overflow to install and while we are at it, he's going to drill the returns into the back as well.
My schedule 80 PVC got here yesterday so I'm going to start getting that mapped out. I am positive I am going to need more parts toward the end so it will likely be awhile but I want it to be perfect in the end so I'm willing to go slow and take as much time as I need.
Once the tank is off the stand, I am planning on painting the inside of the stand a light color and getting all of the electrical installed to include interior work lights.
I'm also going to paint the bottom with some Flex Seal just in case, it will hopefully hold a little water and keep it off my wood floors.

IMG_20191207_140044.jpg IMG_20191207_140123.jpg

OP
OP
markysgirl

markysgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more photos of the gathering ritual! I'm a college professor and am lucky enough to have three weeks off starting this Friday! I can't wait to start the progress!!!

Still waiting for another box of rock, I got on sale! My husband is going to make me a cardboard cutout to aquascape on. I'm actually hoping he will help with that, he's really creative and I think he will enjoy it.

I know I will need another order of plumbing. I have been on the fence about installing an return manifold now vs. just putting unions on either end with ball valves to change out later. I'm too new at this to be able to know what I will want later. At least if I put a "blank" space for a manifold I can think about it more when I get everything going.
Planning electrical now too. Thinking about mounting a small cabinet to the left side of the cabinet and then running electrical into that so it is separate from the sump compartment, hidden away but still acsessssable.
Next steps;
Drill Tank.
Paint inside and outside of the stand.
Waterproof bottom of stand
Put work lights into stand.
Waterproof wood floor.

Any and all advice any of you have about these next foundational steps please, PLEASE let me know! I'm trying really hard to do this right the first time.

IMG_20191208_141207.jpg IMG_20191208_141313.jpg IMG_20191208_141324.jpg IMG_20191208_141344.jpg IMG_20191208_141400.jpg

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more photos of the gathering ritual! I'm a college professor and am lucky enough to have three weeks off starting this Friday! I can't wait to start the progress!!!

Still waiting for another box of rock, I got on sale! My husband is going to make me a cardboard cutout to aquascape on. I'm actually hoping he will help with that, he's really creative and I think he will enjoy it.

I know I will need another order of plumbing. I have been on the fence about installing an return manifold now vs. just putting unions on either end with ball valves to change out later. I'm too new at this to be able to know what I will want later. At least if I put a "blank" space for a manifold I can think about it more when I get everything going.
Planning electrical now too. Thinking about mounting a small cabinet to the left side of the cabinet and then running electrical into that so it is separate from the sump compartment, hidden away but still acsessssable.
Next steps;
Drill Tank.
Paint inside and outside of the stand.
Waterproof bottom of stand
Put work lights into stand.
Waterproof wood floor.

Any and all advice any of you have about these next foundational steps please, PLEASE let me know! I'm trying really hard to do this right the first time.

IMG_20191208_141207.jpg IMG_20191208_141313.jpg IMG_20191208_141324.jpg IMG_20191208_141344.jpg IMG_20191208_141400.jpg
If you need to paint the stand and are also looking for waterproofing I would recommend priming it in some Kilz then painting it the color of choice

OP
OP
markysgirl

markysgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need to paint the stand and are also looking for waterproofing I would recommend priming it in some Kilz then painting it the color of choice
My current plan is to paint the inside a light color, I got Art Deco pink because well.....pink.
I am going to paint the outside black but a satin finish rather than the flat that's on it. I also got Flexseal for the bottom of the stand.
Kilz is s good idea for the inside! I'll pick some up tomorrow .

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current plan is to paint the inside a light color, I got Art Deco pink because well.....pink.
I am going to paint the outside black but a satin finish rather than the flat that's on it. I also got Flexseal for the bottom of the stand.
Kilz is s good idea for the inside! I'll pick some up tomorrow .
Exciting stuff. Started my first 75 reef about a year and a half ago. Has been a lot of fun

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along! I have a 75 as well and almost bought that same overflow and wish I did. I ended up going with a glass holes which work but is noisy.

laguest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son and I started our 1st reef tank 3 years ago and its a 75 with a ghost overflow. We still talk about the time we drilled the hole in the back for the overflow, it was scary and fun and it turned out great. Looking back I am glad we went with a 75, seems big enough to have some good stock but not too big when it comes to water changes and such. Good luck!!

OP
OP
markysgirl

markysgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what are your plans with lighting, and stocking? Excited to see this come together
The lighting plan is a Kessil ap700 mounted in the canopy. I haven't thought too much about stock other than largely lps and softy coral,s maybe waaaay later a small amount of SPS coral.
Fish so far are utilitarian. A couple of clowns after the cycle is done. A yellow tang, bristle tooth tang, not sure what kind yet but one that can live permanently in a 75. A lawnmower blenny and some sort of wrasse that will eat yucky things.
After that, I would love to have lots of inverts, maybe a clam, brittle stars.
Maybe a mandarin waaaaaay later on.
I need to spend more time researching all of these critters and so far I have been spending my hours looking for how to best get the tank up and successful rather than too much about what to put in it once I do get it going. ;Bookworm;Bookwormo_O:oops:

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very similar stock list for fish, yellow tang, yellow eyed kole, 2 clowns, a purple fish i forget (got it for the wife) and a two barred rabbit fish. I need a new starry blenny friend mine was so cool and kept the rocks clean.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had really good luck with a one spot foxface, coral beauty, yellow tang, two clowns, and a yellow corris wrasse. I recently added a Bengai cardinal and a fire fish goby. My corris wrasse was amazing but I left the top off one day and he went carpet surfing :( I’m bare bottom right now and have been looking for a non sand dwelling wrasse at my LFS. I keep hundreds of snails and maintain a no shrimp or crab policy in my tank. The snails and brittle stars do a pretty good job. Anytime I have tried crabs or shrimp I catch them picking at corals.

OP
OP
markysgirl

markysgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had really good luck with a one spot foxface, coral beauty, yellow tang, two clowns, and a yellow corris wrasse. I recently added a Bengai cardinal and a fire fish goby. My corris wrasse was amazing but I left the top off one day and he went carpet surfing :( I’m bare bottom right now and have been looking for a non sand dwelling wrasse at my LFS. I keep hundreds of snails and maintain a no shrimp or crab policy in my tank. The snails and brittle stars do a pretty good job. Anytime I have tried crabs or shrimp I catch them picking at coral

I have thought about a coral beauty angel but am a little scared because of coral. I've heard conflicting info about them. But I think they are beautiful!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back