Installing a new sump setup

gadwall72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I setup my 75g about 4 months ago and on the advice of my LFS I started with a HOB skimmer to help with my filtration. The tank is running well and water parameters are steady. I decided to go ahead and add a sump to the system. After a few weeks of collecting equipment and a tank I have run into a roadblock.

I started to work this afternoon on the sump and equipment and planning out all of the connections. I got ready to place the tank under my stand and to my chagrin, I need another 1-1/2" to get the tank in. My first thought was to build a cabinet to sit beside the DT to house the sump. I do not think I will be able to get my wife to go along with this.

My second thought was to try to catch the livestock and place them in a quarantine tank with water from the DT. I think I can get enough water out of the tank to move the stand away from the wall enough to get the sump in from the backside of the stand.

My questions are as follows: 1) Will changing that much water have an adverse affect on my tank? 2) I have 2 clowns, a Falco Hawkfish and an Orchid Dottyback plus about 20 snails in the tank currently. Can I move the fish to a 20g long enough to get the sump and plumbing done without too much stress to th fish? 3) should I put some kind of divider in the 20g to keep everyone separated during this process?

Thanks in advance for any advice I can get!

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would believe your livestock would be fine in a 20 while you install the sump. As long as the salinity and temperature is matched, that much water shouldn't effect your DT. You'll be happy you put the sump in.

OP
OP
gadwall72

gadwall72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I finally got the sump plumbed with no leaks. Anyone have any suggestions for quieting the splashing noises going into the filter sock in my sump? I hav tried throttling back the flow from the return pump, but it doesn't seem to help.

OP
OP
gadwall72

gadwall72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After things settled down a bit overnight, the splashing noise was much quieter this morning. I may still extend a piece of PVC below the water level. I haven't decided yet.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I finally got the sump plumbed with no leaks. Anyone have any suggestions for quieting the splashing noises going into the filter sock in my sump? I hav tried throttling back the flow from the return pump, but it doesn't seem to help.

I use these sponges in top of filter sock.
bbda98176d9b8da8b6ed8fb0c8dc1bf3.jpg

OP
OP
gadwall72

gadwall72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a little more attention over the weekend, the splashing noise has pretty much taken care of itself. I added more water and opened the valve on the return pump fully. Now we just hear the slight trickle of the overflow until the ATO kicks on. Much better than before. Now I am waiting for the skimmer to break in and all should be good.

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my sump this weekend as well . Mine sits beside my tank because it also would not fit under. Mine is in my office so she don't complain about the tank on the floor next to the dt
I will be building a cab for it in time

OP
OP
gadwall72

gadwall72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my sump this weekend as well . Mine sits beside my tank because it also would not fit under. Mine is in my office so she don't complain about the tank on the floor next to the dt
I will be building a cab for it in time
I did about a 90% water change with mine. Got my nitrates down in the process, so it was worth the effort. Added a little carbon and zeo under the filter floss in the bubble trap to polish the water a little more. The Diamond Goby I added this weekend is keeping the water stirred up a bit, but I figure it will settle down soon.

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrate lvls are almost undetectable anyhow. I added it because of the extra water volume and being able to get the heater out of my dt. Will be removing my canister filter in a few weeks once the bacteria levels in my sump are up and working. Mine came with a 5 gallon bucket of bio balls that I was not going to use but decided to keep in there to see how they work .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back