Installing RO Faucet in sink

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm installing a RO faucet on my sink and want to use the hole where the current dishwasher overflow drain is.

Can anyone tell me if this green "Y" (and the overflow above the sink) is necessary for the dishwasher drain? Could i go directly into the garbage disposal from the dishwasher? I need that spot for my faucet and have never seen water come out of that overflow, it normally overflows back up from the sink drain. The grey ribbed tube is coming from the dishwasher

44733257304_e6896a0e58_k.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently tried what you want to do— use that dishwasher “air gap” hole in the sink for the new RO/DI faucet. I thought I would move the air gap apparatus to just ‘under’ the sink, and the few inches difference would not make a big deal. Boy was I wrong. The first time using the dishwasher and water poured out of the air gap and flooded under the sink. After trying a few configurations, I had to put it back in the sink hole where it belongs (as shown in your photo). Google “dishwasher air gap” videos and you will see why it’s needed. :(

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the Air gap for the Dishwasher , Depending on how old your Dishwasher it MOST Now days. In the past 10 years and Many from long ago Really do NOT Need them. You can just Put it right into the Disposal and Remove the Air GAP.. The only thing you MUST Do is Create a TRAP in the line From dishwasher to the Disposal. You can do this by taping a Half loop in the Dishwasher line with Duct tape and Sometimes Zip tie it to Drain pipe . This lets water stand in that trap or half loop to prevent gas escape... Half loop is also not always needed..

Hope this helps.. You can also google Is dishwasher Air GAP Really needed.

Good Luck

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently tried what you want to do— use that dishwasher “air gap” hole in the sink for the new RO/DI faucet. I thought I would move the air gap apparatus to just ‘under’ the sink, and the few inches difference would not make a big deal. Boy was I wrong. The first time using the dishwasher and water poured out of the air gap and flooded under the sink. After trying a few configurations, I had to put it back in the sink hole where it belongs (as shown in your photo). Google “dishwasher air gap” videos and you will see why it’s needed. :(
As said above you can usually remove it Complete. I never hook to them when i install new Dishwashers Nor do they say they are required .

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put an upward loop on the drain like this
186A77BD-EE8C-45C1-85A0-B164E8061966.jpeg Most garbage disposals have a connection for dishwasher drain. You must knock out the plastic insert with hammer and screwdriver, before you attach dishwasher drain hose to it

Oh, I see pic. You already have it knocked out and hooked up to disposal

Last edited:

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most garbage disposals have a connection for dishwasher drain. You must knock out the plastic insert with hammer and screwdriver, before you attach dishwasher drain hose to it
his dishwasher is ATTACHED to disposal . but ran thru a air gap above the sink first.. (THE Common way on older dishwashers) Newer ones do not need the air gap.. Many Older ones operate just fine without it as well..

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’v been At this a long time. Don’t remember an air gap for dishwasher being a thing . Learn something new, or this case old, everyday. Don’t see the need. If sink drain is ventilated as it should be, with an upwards loop on dishwasher drain, it’s an air gap. No need for hole on counter

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’v been At this a long time. Don’t remember an air gap for dishwasher being a thing . Learn something new, or this case old, everyday. Don’t see the need. If sink drain is ventilated as it should be, with an upwards loop on dishwasher drain, it’s an air gap. No need for hole on counter
The air gaps are required on many Very OLD Dishwashers they were to keep the Pump from becoming air Locked. I Have been doing Home Renovations For 30 plus years. It used to be required building Code to have them actually. I do not claim to be a Plumber even thou i Do plumbing on almost every project i do . Which is mostly Kitchens and Bathrooms. This year has been the year of the Bathroom thou it appears..

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6FEC90AC-18C1-4602-A521-167F0B32E3B1.jpeg
Yes, it is code in some places. Otherwise million dollar houses wouldn’t have a cheap $4 piece of silver-colored-plastic sticking of of their sink if they could get away from it (just saying). But @BlueWorldJeff could try eliminating it; but if it doesn’t work, just retrace your steps to put it back— no harm, no foul. Also, as someone else mentioned, if you replace your garbage disposal and are using it in conjunction with a dishwasher, don’t forget to take a screwdriver and hammer and break the plastic seal... or the dishwasher water will have nowhere for the water to go except back up the line and spew dirty water out of the air gap into your sink. Best wishes to all :)

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the RO water have to go to your sink? I put my RODI filter under the sink in my laundry room. I put a 3 way valve after the RO portion and diverted one line to a drinking water tank that is plumbed though my attic into the fridge. I get cold RO water directly from the door of my fridge and my ice is also filtered water. The other side of the 3 way valve continues on through the DI canisters and stays in the laundry room for my fish tank.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the RO water have to go to your sink? I put my RODI filter under the sink in my laundry room. I put a 3 way valve after the RO portion and diverted one line to a drinking water tank that is plumbed though my attic into the fridge. I get cold RO water directly from the door of my fridge and my ice is also filtered water. The other side of the 3 way valve continues on through the DI canisters and stays in the laundry room for my fish tank.
Smart ^

Do you have hi/low shut offs on both lines?

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My filter has a shut off prior the carbon filters, then I have this 3 way valve from BRS after it. It can only send water to one side at a time, or be turned off completely. So I usually have it turned to the drinking water / fridge side. Then if I need some water, I just flip the switch and run RODI water into a holding tank. When the valve is turned to either the fridge or DI side, it automatically shuts off the water flow to/from the other.

upload_2018-10-21_20-23-38.png

OP
OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a coupler or adapter that is sold that can replace the air gap and I can mount it up high for the same effect? Is it 5/8" dish washer drain and 7/8" to the disposal?

Back